Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Little Willie poems

Way back in high school( about '67 or so), I ran across a book in the school library, of all places,  I think was titled "Jokes, stories and Anecdotes"

In it, was a small section which centered on a series of morbid, macabre and "dark humored" little poems who's main protagonist was an evilly mischievious child called "Little Willie".

Some scant research I've done never came up with just WHO concieved these morbid little ditties, but they were apparently discovered by a cleric named Samuel Reynolds Hole.  Most were written /published at the end of the 19th century to about the 1930's.

A couple examples here:

Willie found some dynamite;

Couldn't understand it quite;

Curiosity never pays;

It rained Willie seven days.

Willie, with a thirst for gore;

Nailed the baby to the door;

Mother said, in humorous quaint;

"Careful, Will, don't spoil the paint!"

Little Willie working late;

Cut his sister up for bait;

We miss her when it's time to dine;

But Mother's fish tastes simply fine!

Willie, in his rougish way;

Tipped Grandpa on the fire one day;

Mother said, "My dear, that's cruel;"

But of course, it does save fuel

Many found in a book called "Ruthless Rhymes", these morbid little ditties were in some circles quite popular back in those days.  I was dumbfounded, in the late '60's, that such fare found ANY favor in any circles back in those supposed "moral" times.  They were odd little verses.  Look 'em up....you'll be amazed!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I remember them well! My cousins had a humor book that included them. Among the Little Willie poems was this gem, which doesn't mention Willie, though it was in with all the others:

"Making toast by the fireside, Nurse fell in the fire and died.

And what makes it ten times worse, all the toast was burned with nurse!"

In one of the poems you posted, Sepia, the wording I recall was slightly different:

"Mother said with humor quaint,

Willie dear, don't spoil the paint!"

I remember them well! My cousins had a humor book that included them. Among the Little Willie poems was this gem, which doesn't mention Willie, though it was in with all the others:

"Making toast by the fireside, Nurse fell in the fire and died.

And what makes it ten times worse, all the toast was burned with nurse!"

In one of the poems you posted, Sepia, the wording I recall was slightly different:

"Mother said with humor quaint,

Willie dear, don't spoil the paint!"

In my defense, Swithin, all I can say is--

After 47 years, the words DO get a bit mixed up!  But it's cool someone else has heard of( and read) these poems.  And ya gotta admit----finding them in a book that was in a school library IS somewhat odd.

But another little poem, NOT morbid, but amusing, that I clearly remember from that book was a short one that went:

The Lord in His wisdom;

Made the fly;

And then forgot;

to tell us why!

Sepiatone

Eeh! I like MY Little Willie...wait...lemme rephrase that...

I THINK "Little Willie" is best when accompanied by a little bubblegum, Sepia!... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHyuIioJYBw

(...btw, ain't the blonde girl singer with bangs and in yellow kind'a cute???...WAIT, that AIN'T no girl...why, I'll bet "she" has a "little willie"!!!) LOL

• Like 1