Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Ride the microwave

so like I was tellin' ya. found a big ol' microwave oven in my favorite neighborhood electronics outlet...the local trash dump. :lol:

works good too. couldn't find the specs for the model, a quasar mqs generation unit.

can't find out the specific wattage either. figure it's either 1200 or 1300.

found out at least about the power level button. one push for full power. 2nd push for 30%. a 3rd push for 70% and a 4th push for 50%. figure 70% to be the best bet for general use.

also read some guy sayin' he thinks older microwaves are better than what they're makin' nowadays.

guess it comes down to the quality of the manufacture of the megatron tube.

Since I generally use mine for reheating and a breadbox, none of that matters much to me.

Sepiatone

microwave ovens are an essential kitchen appliance...for TV Dinners.

I just love stouffers meatloaf TV Dinners and have recently discovered marie callender meatloaf TV Dinners. :)

microwave ovens are an essential kitchen appliance...for TV Dinners.

I just love stouffers meatloaf TV Dinners and have recently discovered marie callender meatloaf TV Dinners. :)

That explains everything I was wondering about.

so like I was tellin' ya. found a big ol' microwave oven in my favorite neighborhood electronics outlet...the local trash dump. :lol:

works good too. couldn't find the specs for the model, a quasar mqs generation unit.

can't find out the specific wattage either. figure it's either 1200 or 1300.

found out at least about the power level button. one push for full power. 2nd push for 30%. a 3rd push for 70% and a 4th push for 50%. figure 70% to be the best bet for general use.

also read some guy sayin' he thinks older microwaves are better than what they're makin' nowadays.

guess it comes down to the quality of the manufacture of the megatron tube.

I have a HUGE Hotpoint microwave that was purchased around 1979.  Still works great and is in perfect cosmetic shape.  It weighs the preverbal ton and measures 22 L X 18 D X 15 1/2 inches high.  It's built like a battleship (like the original Amana).

Best photo I can take of it.

dn1sa1.jpg

Just got a new GE microwave. Had it mounted over the stove; my old one took up space on the counter. A Trader Joe's opened in my neighborhood a few years ago. I like their frozen (microwaveable) chicken pot pies and a few of their other dishes, very convenient when I'm lazy.

Man, I remember when these contraptions first hit the larger consumer market.

Many people SWORE they'd make the food "taste funny".

Others feared getting CANCER from all the loose microwaves flying about the house!

Then there were those kooks who HAD to learn the hard way NOT to put metal objects in them to cook!

Actually, some of my favorite dishes came about AFTER the microwave came to be a kitchen staple.

Like HOT GRAPE NUTS cereal, which really wasn't possible before.....but I eat a LOT of through the winter!  Stove-top cooking it really ISN'T as good!

Man, I remember when these contraptions first hit the larger consumer market.

Many people SWORE they'd make the food "taste funny".

Others feared getting CANCER from all the loose microwaves flying about the house!

Then there were those kooks who HAD to learn the hard way NOT to put metal objects in them to cook!

Actually, some of my favorite dishes came about AFTER the microwave came to be a kitchen staple.

Like HOT GRAPE NUTS cereal, which really wasn't possible before.....but I eat a LOT of through the winter!  Stove-top cooking it really ISN'T as good!

every time I've had grape nuts cereal have liked it a lot. :)

I have a HUGE Hotpoint microwave that was purchased around 1979.  Still works great and is in perfect cosmetic shape.  It weighs the preverbal ton and measures 22 L X 18 D X 15 1/2 inches high.  It's built like a battleship (like the original Amana).

Best photo I can take of it.

dn1sa1.jpg

very nice. mine was kinda heavy too. i'm gonna make that my wallpaper. :)

• Like 1

very nice. mine was kinda heavy too. i'm gonna make that my wallpaper. :)

so pleased with my microwave scrounge find I gave my old dinky 700 watt unit away and now my quasar microwave oven proudly rests on an appliance cart. the metal housing of the thing seems quite durable as well. sounds like the wizard of oz's tin man when you rap on it. :)