Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Since Lauren Bacall was talking about legends and how Nicole Kidman isn't one (and won't ever be one IMHO), I was thinking....which young actors today do you think may become legends in their old age? I had to think hard about this and strip away the media hype, their current popularity and focus on their diverse acting ability and those special qualities that actors like Bogart, Bergman, Becall and the like had/have.

I think these people have a good shot at it:

Cate Blanchett

Hillary Swank

Emma Thompson

Wow, this was a lot harder than I thought and this is all I could come up with. I'd also like to add Russell Crowe to this list, however, I think he'll end up more of an loser than a legend!

Anyone else?

By design, I don't think there's one of them around today who'll be thought of as a legend. Individuality ensures a persona to be regarded as a legend and so we regard Bogart, Cooper, Garbo, Dietrich, Crawford, Cagney, Keaton, Gable, and so on as legends. Maybe because they did it first or have been with us for so long we look at them as icons of the medium. I can't see beyond Nicholson, Newman, Eastwood, DeNiro, Streep, Pacino, and a few others to regards the people who are today's excuses for film-stars to be anything other than shallow models who work under a few good directors. The press likes to compare Hanks to Cary Grant, so that eliminates Hanks as a individual legend, and even Costner was compared to Cooper, but Costner's done himself in anyway with a long string of bad films. If we don't even regard Alan Bates or Albert Finney in high degree anymore, how can we ever hold any of these homogenous twits around today in the same league as Gene Kelly, Spencer Tracy or Grace Kelly?

Hi,

Good question!!

First of all, I don't believe in the word legend, not even for the older stars. None of them were nor are legends to me, just good actors and actresses or great stars.

And, I don't believe in the words - superstar, megastar and diva for any of this current crop.

Having said that, I do think that you make a very good point, Johnnie....

My picks to be remembered in the future are:

Ryan Gosling

Rachel McAdams

Edward Norton

Joaquim Phoenix

I think Edward Norton should have won the Oscar for "Primal Fear" and Joaquim Phoenix for "Gladiator"...

Also, both Ryan and rachel should have been nominated for "The Notebook"....

Of course that all relies on luck and good parts and great movies, which are fairly well non existant today or few and far between.

Larry

I wholeheartedly agree with your choice of Cate Blanchett, rinkrat58. I have raved about her on these boards in the past and think she is hands-down the best film-actress working today. She just keeps evolving and continues to choose interesting projects. Hillary Swank has definitely improved as an actress, and I have always loved Emma Thompson, but I don't see her onscreen as often as I did a decade ago, which is a shame.

If I can add an actor to stand beside Blanchett as my pick for future legends, I'm really a fan of Ralph Fiennes' work (That silly J-Lo film notwithstanding). Fiennes was so powerful in SCHINDLER'S LIST and was brilliant in such films as QUIZ SHOW, OSCAR AND LUCINDA, THE ENGLISH PATIENT, THE END OF THE AFFAIR, and David Cronenberg's underrated film, SPIDER....to name just a few. His career has seemed to slow down as of late, but I see on the Internet Movie Database that he has several projects coming soon.

I also appreciate many of Julianne Moore's performances, and think that if Scarlett Johansson can shy away from schlock like THE ISLAND (I want my $8.50 back!), she might be worthy of future adulation. She was pretty terrific in such films as GHOST WORLD, LOST IN TRANSLATION, GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING, and IN GOOD COMPANY, to name a few. There are probably a handful more that could be considered legendary in the future. I understand johnnyweekes70's stance concerning the stars of yesteryear, but I'm not ready to dismiss all modern actors as "homogenous twits." I just don't buy that. I think that if the material the actors of today are given was a little better, we might see some actors really shine. As far as an actor having the 'persona' to ensure their legend, well, I'll personally settle for someone who does consistently good work. Many people consider Marylin Monroe to be an legend. I agree, but I was never a fan of her 'acting.'

I mean, how can an actor build a career on the myriad of remakes and juvenile material that Hollywood shoves down our throat? Many, myself included, think Philip Seymour Hoffman is an tremendous actor, but he does more work in Independent films than in major studio films. He gets more respect for his craft, but his name isn't as marketable as someone like Ben Affleck, who is a significantly LESSER actor than Hoffman. So, who knows? Maybe the future legends, and I think there will be some who qualify, will be actors who work in smaller films. Just an opinion.

As I was writing composing my 'rant,' I missed your post, Larry. You mentioned the lack of good material being offered to actors today, which I more or less repeated. It's a really important factor in the scarcity of stand-out performers these days. Anyway, I do like your choices.....

Hi Keith,

Thanks, and I approve all your choices too.

I first saw Cate Blanchette in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and quite enjoyed her. I also don't mind Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow and they may go on to good careers.

As well as Ralph Fiennes, I think his brother, Joseph is a decent actor and really liked "Shakespeare In Love".

Geoffrey Rush is also always good.

If Hollywood and the movie industry would put out an edict that no more scripts could have cars and chases and swearing and dorky, laughing, tattooed, pierced imbeciles in them, then maybe some really good scripts and writers would emerge!!!! Wadda ya think???????

Larry

I'll agree with you on Tom Hanks, because I think he's one of the greatest film actors ever. Yes, you heard me right. I've seen ever film he's made except Bonfire of the Vanities and an early horror film which the title escapes me at the moment. He's never failed to convince me that he was his character and not just Tom Hanks playing a character. There have been actors over the years that I thought were great like Hoffman, DeNiro, Pacino but I wouldn't say I've seen everything they've made or been convinced that they were their character (probably Hoffman more than the other two.) Maybe I'll get that way with Hanks--that I don't even care if he ever has a good movie again. But I doubt it. He's been compared to James Stewart and others but I think he's individual--and outstanding. I guess it's fashionable these days to put down someone who's managed to make a ton of dough in the business, but Tom Hanks is someone who I feel is very deserving. No matter what YOU (I mean people other than me) think, Hanks IS putting his best effort on the screen every time, rather than a walk through the park (and I'm looking at you Robert DeNiro & the Fockers.) End of Hanks-rant. Love him and always will.

Here's a really controversial choice but I feel like Leonardo di Caprio is a really good actor. Too bad he had to endure the teenybopper love after Titanic. I think he chooses interesting projects and usually delivers. I've only seen him in a couple of films but I think he's really good and would probably watch him in other stuff. But you never know what happens to people in their 30's. I think that's when actors usually prove they're more than a flash in the pan. Di Caprio is only 30 so I feel like we'll see greater films from him in the future. He's been in films for at least 14 or 15 years already. I'm not going to dismiss some fine actors just because they've been in blockbuster movies. Those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

You're right, I don't know how I could have forgotten Ralph Fiennes. Whenever I think of his performance in Shindler's List I can't believe how an actor could have made me feel hate, hope, pity and loathing all at once. I hope he continues (or returns to) getting projects like that. I like to put Maid in Manhattan far, far out of my mind!

I have been a fan of Isabelle Huppert for a very long time, zooty. Juliette Binoche, as well. Although both have made English-speaking films, the bulk of their work has been in French films, as you know. They both do great work, but many Americans are probably remotely aware of their talents. Speaking of French actresses, I always enjoy anything that Emmanuelle Beart does (with the exception of her small role in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2). Beart is one of the modern film world's great beauties, as well as possessing a wealth of talent. Her amazing performance in UN COEUR EN HIVER (A Heart In Winter, released in 1993) is incredible and the film remains one of my Top-Ten movies of all-time (which I included on the thread here including our 10 favorite films).

There are many actors and actresses doing tremendous film work all over the world. Always have been. Perhaps that's another thread for another time. When considering what stars will be looked back as legendary, we automatically think of Hollywood stars, who are pretty much the most popular in the world. But anyone who enjoys foreign films knows that there are actors in other parts of the world that have just as much talent and depth as anyone in Hollywood. Hopefully they will be held in the same light as the legends of Hollywood.

Legends? Not a one of 'em IMO. Remembered - yes, - Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Anthony Hopkins and for females I agree with Jodie Foster. I also like Larry's choice of Ed Norton who I've liked since day one of his career. I, personally, don't care for Tom Hanks.

To Keithfromkc:

Films, like music, is SO universal. It's just not fun or fair to limit oneself to U.S. talents only.

I watched and enjoyed Ms. Beart in 8 WOMEN (everytime she was on screen, I kept seeing a "French" Angelina Jolie). Please give me a list (your faves) of her films. The lucky thing about living in New York, I can get my hands on ALL type of movies.

good group there, sue. I especially like that you added Mare Winningham. I've always liked her work. I just do not think there are more out there that feel the way we do. It's not that they do not think she's good, it's that she is not "out there" for the public to see. Check out her film history on imdb and there are not too many big films there. But, believe me, the films on her list she did great work in.

I would place my vote for the following: Jeffrey Wright (as Martin Luther King Jr. in Boycott; as "Peoples" in the most recent Shaft and as Lincoln in Top Dog Under Dog).

There is nothing this young man CAN'T do. An amazing actor. Terrence Howard, lead in Hustle & Flow, I now believe posssess that kind of promise. Also, Johnny Depp and Denzel Washington without a doubt. Of the women, I think Cate Blanchett has a shot at becoming a legend; also, Angela Basset.

Reginna

keithfromkc--It's not just about St. Elmo's Fire, but a compilation of the choices she made in doing films. she chose particular parts to play and did a fine job at all of them. She chooses her films with care and that's why you don't see very much of her splattered all over the magazines and trade papers. I like what she has done and that is why I listed her. :) Sue

I was kinda surprised to see this topic posted. Only because I've been having conversations like this a lot recently with other people ( my parents mostly ). We've been discussing it, because of the movies that have been coming out lately. Why they've been tanking and whatnot. Ever since I was little, older movies and the actors that play in them have been instilled in me. Though I'm only 19 years old, I've noticed more so recently that the actors today just don't really have the " it " factor ( as mom would say ) and I would have to agree. Not like, for example Cary Grant,James Cagney, Ingrid Bergman or even Olivia DeHavilland. It's hard to find that " it " quality in actors today. So,with that all said. I can't really give an opion or guess on who will be a " legend " in the years to come.

~ Movie Guru ~