Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow! A great film.... "The Last Command" (1928)

FredCDobbs

Do you think this story about Jannings' Oscar for the film is fact? It's from Wikipedia:

"According to Susan Orlean, author of Rin Tin Tin: The Life and The Legend (Simon and Schuster, 2011), Jannings was not actually the winner of the first best actor vote, but the runner-up. While researching her book, Orlean discovered that it was in fact Rin Tin Tin, the German Shepherd dog, one of the biggest movie stars of his time, who won the vote. The Academy, however, worried about being taken seriously if they gave the first Oscar to a dog, chose to award the Oscar to the human runner-up."

Of course this is a great film, it has William Powell in the cast. :)  As for the best actor award, given the choice of a human or a German Shepherd , I would always vote for the 4 legged guy. ;)   P.S.    I did record this movie and plan on watching it in its entirety in the near future.  

Do you think this story about Jannings' Oscar for the film is fact? It's from Wikipedia:

http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0000003/1929?ref_=ttawd_ev_1

Best Actor in a Leading Role

WINNER
MV5BMTg3NzYyNTQ1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc4
:

Emil Jannings received his award early due to the fact that he was going home to Europe before the ceremony.
NOMINEES

"According to Susan Orlean, author of Rin Tin Tin: The Life and The Legend (Simon and Schuster, 2011), Jannings was not actually the winner of the first best actor vote, but the runner-up. While researching her book, Orlean discovered that it was in fact Rin Tin Tin, the German Shepherd dog, one of the biggest movie stars of his time, who won the vote. The Academy, however, worried about being taken seriously if they gave the first Oscar to a dog, chose to award the Oscar to the human runner-up."

Gotta say that that DOES sound rather plausible, Swithin....considering that everyone likes an "underhuman".

(...hey...these can't all be gems, ya know...and YEAH, that's the best I could come up with here, so sue me!)

;)

I 100% agree with you Mr. Dobbs.  A truly great and powerful silent film.  As I had never seen "THE LAST COMMAND" before, I was so looking forward to this viewing and was enthralled.  So well made and in such detail.  Jannings, Brent, Powell and all the cast were terrific.  A big thumbs up to TCM for showing this amazing film.  This is why I watch TCM: to view and visually/mentally ingest the best of Classic Hollywood.  This silent is a true classic and it is sad that so many other of Jannings' Hollywood films have been lost forever. 

• Like 1

Gotta say that that DOES sound rather plausible, Swithin....considering that everyone likes an "underhuman".

(...hey...these can't all be gems, ya know...and YEAH, that's the best I could come up with here, so sue me!)

;)

I assume you mean it sounds paws-ible?

• Like 2

I 100% agree with you Mr. Dobbs.  A truly great and powerful silent film.  As I had never seen "THE LAST COMMAND" before, I was so looking forward to this viewing and was enthralled.  So well made and in such detail.  Jannings, Brent, Powell and all the cast were terrific.  A big thumbs up to TCM for showing this amazing film. 

Yes, a great cast and very well directed. I loved so many of the silent eye movements, and very good photography and editing too.

Evelyn%2BBrent%2B-%2BThe%2BLast%2BComman

Didn't anybody else watch this most excellent Silent classic??  Come on now!!!!  Let's hear some other reviews good or bad.  There seem to be many with little appreciation for the Silent classics of yesteryear.  Anybody else watch THE LAST COMMAND??  or am I talking to the cold vacuum of outer space??

Missed The Last Comand, but of course watched SUNRISE for the 10th time,Captain January( love Baby Peggy)   but a new one for me was RAGMAN. Excellent silent. Besides the great music score, a charming, touching film, that was also humorous. What is also so interesting is that Jackie Coogan in this role saves the day for Uncle Max by his getting back Max's rightful fortune for his patent that was stolen from him. In real life, years later, Jackie Coogan sued his mother for his rightful financial gains from his years of working as an actor that his parents had stolen.

.  Anybody else watch THE LAST COMMAND??  or am I talking to the cold vacuum of outer space??

You are definitely not talking into vacuum, outer space or otherwise (cannot say the same for what is between a lot of ears these days, however) and I watched Last Command and was absolutely mesmerized.  I could not believe the irony of the last scenes and of the touching moment when William Powell laid the Russial flag over his body.  It was very touching to see that William Powell's character understood the moment, unlike the oaf who kept repositioning his medal. 

The other picture with Jackie Coogan was somewhat ironic in that every one mentioned among the "trade" were Jewish with surnames to match.  I don't know if they showed that during the Jewish Experience but it said just as much as "The House of Rothchild's" did in reference to the perception of Jewishness in the movies. 

What really got me into this showing was the terrific theater organ score. I did not see the first 15 minutes. Who played/scored this? It added tremendously to my enjoyment of the film.

So many TCM silent films are unwatchable/spoiled by horrible annoying music added slap-dash. I know this is not TCM’s fault, but wow.

Didn't anybody else watch this most excellent Silent classic??  Come on now!!!!  Let's hear some other reviews good or bad.  There seem to be many with little appreciation for the Silent classics of yesteryear.  Anybody else watch THE LAST COMMAND??  or am I talking to the cold vacuum of outer space??

Yes, I watched it and was very impressed. Glad TCM gave us the chance to see it. Wonderfully acted by Jannings.......

• Like 1

I only knew Jannings from "The Blue Angel" & thought he strictly acted in European films. Was sort of shocked to learn he was a big Nazi sympathizer.

The stereo pipe organ score was played by the late Gaylord Carter, a truly fine organist from the silent days. He also scored a few other Paramount silents. TCM for some reason cut the end title off. It shows in the YouTube presentation.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings