Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Navy Blues on today at last!

Swithin

Haven't seen this film in ages -- one of my old comedy/musical favorites from Million Dollar Movie days. Jack Oakie, Jack Haley, Martha Raye, Jack Carson, Jackie Gleason, and the lovely Ann Sheridan, singing one of my favorites -- "In Waikiki." In retrospect, this somewhat silly yet utterly enjoyable 1941 film about the Navy in Hawaii gives no hint of the horror to come.

Haven't seen this film in ages -- one of my old comedy/musical favorites from Million Dollar Movie days. Jack Oakie, Jack Haley, Martha Raye, Jack Carson, Jackie Gleason, and the lovely Ann Sheridan, singing one of my favorites -- "In Waikiki." In retrospect, this somewhat silly yet utterly enjoyable 1941 film about the Navy in Hawaii gives no hint of the horror to come.

Hmmmm....gotta say I don't know Jack Squat about this movie Swithin, but just from your description here, I may have to watch it IF I'm not jackin' around doin' somethin' else that is.

(...hey, ya gotta admit THIS one was at least a LITTLE better than that whole "underhuman" thing, RIGHT?!) ;) 

Hmmmm....gotta say I don't know Jack Squat about this movie Swithin, but just from your description here, I may have to watch it IF I'm not jackin' around doin' somethin' else that is.

(...hey, ya gotta admit THIS one was at least a LITTLE better than that whole "underhuman" thing, RIGHT?!) ;) 

Yes, definitely!  Just finished recording it. Great songs by Arthur Schwartz/Johnny Mercer sung by Ann Sheridan, Martha Raye, and everyone else. Opening number sung by Sheridan and Raye -- they have a great rapport.

In retrospect, this somewhat silly yet utterly enjoyable 1941 film about the Navy in Hawaii gives no hint of the horror to come.

IMDB says this film was released in American theaters in September of 1941. It looks to me like one of the WORST war-preparedness propaganda films ever made, and it would have encouraged the Japs to go ahead with their attack plans against this group of American idiots.

I'm a big fan of Ann Sheridan but I have to say that I think Navy Blues is one of her weakest films of her Warners period. It's far more of a Jack Oakie film, if anything.

I love her singing voice, and it gave her an opportunity to use it.

IMDB says this film was released in American theaters in September of 1941. It looks to me like one of the WORST war-preparedness propaganda films ever made, and it would have encouraged the Japs to go ahead with their attack plans against this group of American idiots.

Well Fred, it seems you don't know the COMPLETE quote of what Admiral Yamamoto reported said after he commanded the attack on our forces there:

"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant AND a country possessing by far the best song and dance people on the planet!"

(...and as it turns out, Yamamoto was indeed quite prophetic, as we must remember that just a few short years later, Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra would go on to take New York City by storm in "On The Town"!!!) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings