Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Beer--liquid bread!

Being from Oregon, we have a ton of Microbreweries and Craft breweries.  Portland itself, I think has close to 50 located within city limits.

For me, once I had microbrew, home brew (as long as it's good) and craft brew, I can't go back to the commercial beers like Coors.  It kills me on the inside when I'm at a restaurant that makes their own beer (that's good!) and I see someone ordering a Miller Light.  Really?

I thought this would be a fun thread for all my fellow beer connoisseurs to share their favorite brews.  

Mine are admittedly mostly local; but I have had some beers from other parts of the country that I enjoyed.  I'm always open for new kinds of beer.  Except for Imperial Stouts.  Yuck!

I can't say that my list is completely inclusive or accurate, my favorites would probably change on a daily basis; but right now, these are my "go-to" beers (depending what's on sale):

1) Ninkasi Total Domination (based out of Eugene, OR)

2) Rogue Dead Guy Ale (based out of Newport, OR)

3) Session Black (produced by Full Sail Brewery in Hood River, OR)

4) Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA (based out of Bend, OR)

5) Bridgeport Alchemy Ale (based out of Portland, OR)

6) Angry Orchard Green Apple Cider (okay, not beer persay; but good!)

7) Deschutes Black Butte Porter

8) Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale

9) Kona Castaway IPA (based out of Hawaii)

10) Ninkasi Oatis Oatmeal Stout

I also love 10 Barrel Brewing out of Bend; but they've produced a couple weird flavors recently including the aptly named "Swill" (tasted like grapefruit juice and beer mixed together, yuck!).  I just read that they are being purchased by Anheuser-Busch, which makes me sad.  Although, if a restaurant doesn't have good beer choices, I've been known to get the second best choice, something like Blue Moon or Stella Artois. 

What beers does everyone like?

I have heard it said that every loaf of bread is a missed opportunity for grain to be made into beer.

I love kvas! It is often likened to beer but I feel it is substantially different. The alcohol content is so low that one may drink it by the pitcher and it can be flavored by adding favorites. I like in particular honey and ginger.

It is very easy to make at home. A very good recipe is at:

http://natashaskitchen.com/2012/02/19/angelinas-easy-bread-kvas-recipe/

I can't say that my list is completely inclusive or accurate, my favorites would probably change on a daily basis; but right now, these are my "go-to" beers (depending what's on sale):

1) Ninkasi Total Domination (based out of Eugene, OR)

2) Rogue Dead Guy Ale (based out of Newport, OR)

3) Session Black (produced by Full Sail Brewery in Hood River, OR)

4) Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA (based out of Bend, OR)

5) Bridgeport Alchemy Ale (based out of Portland, OR)

6) Angry Orchard Green Apple Cider (okay, not beer persay; but good!)

7) Deschutes Black Butte Porter

8) Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale

9) Kona Castaway IPA (based out of Hawaii)

10) Ninkasi Oatis Oatmeal Stout

What beers does everyone like?

I like your list here, Speedy. Being a lover of Porter and not so much the more "hoppy" IPAs, I'll usually stock the Deschuttes Black Butte in my little beer fridge, and along with:

New Belgium 1554 and Fat Tire (out of Fort Collins, CO)

Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale(out of right here in Sedona AZ) 

And btw, regarding the following you said...

For me, once I had microbrew, home brew (as long as it's good) and craft brew, I can't go back to the commercial beers like Coors.  It kills me on the inside when I'm at a restaurant that makes their own beer (that's good!) and I see someone ordering a Miller Light.  Really?

This reminds me of how I "developed" my taste for quality beers.

It started about 15 years ago now and when a guy I met at a British motorcycle rally handed me a flyer which advertised his new brewpub/restaurant located not too far from my then home in SoCal. Bob's establishment would turn out to be a fairly frequent haunt for my wife and I, as we'd discover not only what good beer would be but also because Bob's "Red Car Brewery and Restaurant" in Torrance CA would have excellent food in addition.

Well, the reason I brought this up is that for a time right after he opened his establishment, the local "HOG"(Harley Owners Group) chapter started using it one day a week to hold their little get-togethers, but eventually Bob would be glad to learn that they would move on to another bar to do this.

You see, it wasn't that they were some "wild bunch of people" who he had to worry about, BUT because MOST of these Harley riders would want Bob to serve them BUDWEISER instead of his quality brewed beer while they were there.

(...aaaah, but then again what WOULD one expect from people who very often ONLY ride a Harley-Davidson because of the name brand, and who really DON'T know all that much about the wide and rich history of the ENTIRE world of motorcycling, let ALONE beer, huh?!) LOL

I like your list here, Speedy. Being a lover of Porter and not so much the more "hoppy" IPAs, I'll usually stock the Deschuttes Black Butte in my little beer fridge, and along with:

New Belgium 1554 and Fat Tire (out of Fort Collins, CO)

Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale(out of right here in Sedona AZ) 

And btw, regarding the following you said...

This reminds me of how I "developed" my taste for quality beers.

It started about 15 years ago now and when a guy I met at a British motorcycle rally handed me a flyer which advertised his new brewpub/restaurant located not too far from my then home in SoCal. Bob's establishment would turn out to be a fairly frequent haunt for my wife and I, as we'd discover not only what good beer would be but also because Bob's "Red Car Brewery and Restaurant" in Torrance CA would have excellent food in addition.

Well, the reason I brought this up is that for a time right after he opened his establishment, the local "HOG"(Harley Owners Group) chapter started using it one day a week to hold their little get-togethers, but eventually Bob would be glad to learn that they would move on to another bar to do this.

You see, it wasn't that they were some "wild bunch of people" who he had to worry about, BUT because MOST of these Harley riders would want Bob to serve them BUDWEISER instead of his quality brewed beer while they were there.

(...aaaah, but then again what WOULD one expect from people who very often ONLY ride a Harley-Davidson because of the name brand, and who really DON'T know all that much about the wide and rich history of the ENTIRE world of motorcycling, let ALONE beer, huh?!) LOL

I don't mind hoppy; but I don't like it being so hoppy that I can't taste anything else.  I also can't do the beers with crazy ABV's.  I don't want near beer or anything like that... but when the alcohol level gets too high, it's just too much.  Despite how much I love the name of the Arrogant Bastard beer, I can't get through a bottle.

Right now, I'm on a fresh hop kick.  The fresh hops give the beer a different type of taste from the beers brewed with the dry hops.  Lagunitas has a good fresh hop beer called "Born Yesterday." I also like Deschutes' "Chasin' Freshies" and Sierra Nevada has a good one as well. 

I've seen the New Belgium 1554 and Fat Tire in the stores, I can't believe I haven't had Fat Tire.  It's so prevalent.  The Oak Creek Nut Brown Ale sounds good.  Does that brewery sell nationally? Or at least on the Western half of the country? I'd be interested in trying it.

Re: the Budweiser lovin' Harley bikers.  Ugh.  Budweiser is awful.  It gives me a headache.  That would be really frustrating if you were an establishment that made your own beer and people would rather drink the commercial swill.  My husband works at a brewpub where they make their own beer.  I occasionally will hang out there after work (I get a good family discount, because hubby is management) and try their new seasonal brews.  They do have standard beers; but they're always the same, so I like to try the what's new on taps.  Last week I had a pumpkin beer (which I was skeptical about; but it was good.  Not too pumpkiny.) and then I had an Oktoberfest.  This guy behind me ordered 3 Miller Lights while I was there.  Ugh!

SansFin,

I'd be interested in trying the Kvas too.  When I get my house and have more room, I may give it a whirl and hope I don't make myself sick!

I just checked the Oak Creek Brewery's website here, Speedy.

http://oakcreekbrew.com/find-oak-creek-brews/

Sorry, it says their product is only available in Arizona.

And, I might say that that's a nice arrangement you have with "the management" there.

(...so let me guess...your favorite line to use there is.."HEY! Who do I have to sleep with to get a discount around here?"...RIGHT?!) ;)

I just checked the Oak Creek Brewery's website here, Speedy.

http://oakcreekbrew.com/find-oak-creek-brews/

Sorry, it says their product is only available in Arizona.

And, I might say that that's a nice arrangement you have with "the management" there.

(...so let me guess...your favorite line to use there is.."HEY! Who do I have to sleep with to get a discount around here?"...RIGHT?!) ;)

Darn it.  Next time I'm in AZ, I'll have to remember to try it.

Lol.  I haven't used that line; but I will next time.  That would be hilarious.  I don't know if it's a bad thing or not that as soon as I pony up to the bar, the bartenders recognize me and I can usually get my "management discount" without having to prove my relation to sous chef hubby.  It's a pretty good discount though.  Last time I was there, I got two seasonal beers, the total bill was $10-something; after the discount, I owed $5.38.  Works for me!

I hear ya speedracer-since I've spent so much time in the PNW, I've enjoyed "local" brews. Love a great heavy beer with pub food or better yet fire pit BBQ. Ever visit a McMenniman's movie theater? Fan-freekin-tastic!

If you like complex beer, you've gota seek out OMMEGANG brewery. It's based in Cooperstown, near the baseball hall of fame in a gorgeous Austrian style barn building. They "age" the beer in a cave, and it typically comes in a large wine size bottle. Very small batch, I'm starting to find them expanding farther up & down the eastern seaboard.

http://www.ommegang.com/

The original "Abbey" Ale is super complex, with fruity & spicey tones. Their "Witt" is delightfully orangy & light, much more complex than Blue Moon which I'll take in a pinch. I believe Ommegang now owns Stella Artois.

My art group meets every other Fri and we share bottles of Ommegang as our ritual. Sometimes we try other flavors, such as 3 Philosophers or the chocolate stout, but we all prefer the original Abbey Ale.

I also really like the beer conditioned in used bourbon barrels found in Louisville KY, and Blackened VooDoo from New Oreleans.

Oh yeah, and nothing is as fantastic as making bread using beer instead of water. That's what I use Blue Moon & Magic Hat #9 for, heh.

I hear ya speedracer-since I've spent so much time in the PNW, I've enjoyed "local" brews. Love a great heavy beer with pub food or better yet fire pit BBQ. Ever visit a McMenniman's movie theater? Fan-freekin-tastic!

If you like complex beer, you've gota seek out OMMEGANG brewery. It's based in Cooperstown, near the baseball hall of fame in a gorgeous Austrian style barn building. They "age" the beer in a cave, and it typically comes in a large wine size bottle. Very small batch, I'm starting to find them expanding farther up & down the eastern seaboard.

The original "Abbey" Ale is super complex, with fruity & spicey tones. Their "Witt" is delightfully orangy & light, much more complex than Blue Moon which I'll take in a pinch. I believe Ommegang now owns Stella Artois.

My art group meets every other Fri and we share bottles of Ommegang as our ritual. Sometimes we try other flavors, such as 3 Philosophers or the chocolate stout, but we all prefer the original Abbey Ale.

I also really like the beer conditioned in used bourbon barrels found in Louisville KY, and Blackened VooDoo from New Oreleans.

Oh yeah, and nothing is as fantastic as making bread using beer instead of water. That's what I use Blue Moon & Magic Hat #9 for, heh.

Wow. I've been gone for 24 hours, and brewskis have taken over two threads.

Actually, I dislike beer.  I hate DRUNKS even more.

I've seen too many drunks make MY life hard, and ruin the lives of too many people I love.  And MOST, if not ALL of these drunks, drank BEER.

Knowing a lot about a lot of different beers, to me, only means you know a lot of different ways of being an A**hole!

Sepiatone

I've seen too many drunks make MY life hard, and ruin the lives of too many people I love.  And MOST, if not ALL of these drunks, drank BEER.

Knowing a lot about a lot of different beers, to me, only means you know a lot of different ways of being an A**hole!

Sepiatone

Now settle down here, Sepia ol' buddy. You DO know that there are SOME people in the world, in fact maybe MOST, who don't use alcohol to "self-medicate", doncha?!

Though I'll grant you it DOES seem a shame that evidently you've been hangin' with the small percentage that do. And lemme guess here, THEY drink that commercial swill which passes(through them) as "beer", RIGHT?!

(...know any Harley riders TOO, dude???) LOL

• Like 1

Pumpernickel bread hangovers are the worst.

Yeah, and I hear it can often lead to lowering one's resistance to Scarlet Fever.

WHAT?! You've never heard of.....

(...never mind...THIS one is even beneath ME!!!)

Sepiatone

I'll step aside here.

TikiSoo,

Yes.  I've been to many McMenamins.  What I like about that company is that they take pre-existing structures and suit their business around them.  Every McMenamins is different.  Some are more interesting than others.  There is a hippie themed one in the Hawthorne area of Portland and further down the road is an Arabian themed one, which is inside of the Baghdad theater.  There is also one inside of an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere in the country and it is farm-themed.  My favorite is one in NE Portland where I play trivia at every other Tuesday, it's called the Kennedy School.  It's inside of an old grade school that closed down quite some time ago.  It's partly a hotel and then there is a theater and restaurants.  All the different rooms are school themed.  The hotel rooms are inside of old classrooms.  Then you can visit the Detention Cigar Bar, the Boiler Room Bar, the Courtyard Restaurant and many other things. 

McMenamins also makes their own beer which is awesome and always have a bunch of new seasonal ones.  Also, depending on which McMenamins you go to, there might be a different beer menu, except for the standard five that all of them have.  Of the standard ones, I like the Terminator Stout and the Ruby Ale.  The Ruby is raspberry flavored.  If you're wacky like me, you can order the "Rubinator" which is Terminator and Ruby mixed together.  One of the seasonal ones that I like is called Purple Haze.  It's a boysenberry ale. 

I'll have to check out Ommegang.  Sounds interesting.  I wonder if it's available on the West Coast.  I never thought of making bread with beer.  That sounds like a good idea!

Pumpernickel bread hangovers are the worst.

I am sorry to say that I have never heard of such a thing. Do you mean a hangover from eating fermented pumpernickel bread or a hangover which is only cured by eating pumpernickel?

I am sorry to say that I have never heard of such a thing. Do you mean a hangover from eating fermented pumpernickel bread or a hangover which is only cured by eating pumpernickel?

The first one. But I was j k.

Shoulda known it wouldn't fool you.

Sepia said: Knowing a lot about a lot of different beers, to me, only means you know a lot of different ways of being an A**hole!

Well Sepia, there ARE people who are "lightweights".

I can only drink ONE glass of beer, and then usually one a week with a meal or I'll fall asleep within a half hour.

I never get drunk, even if drinking scotch or bourbon, which I sip over a long course of time. Alcohol puts me directly to sleep so it can only be done at home or with a designated driver.

The McMenamins I stayed at was like 20 years ago.....I kind of recall it was either a school or insane asylum. It's great when you have a successful business who will rehab grande old structures. I remember bundling up and going from shed outbuilding to outbuilding featuring craftsmen (like glassblowers) and "tastings" like cigars & ports. A most excellent vacation!

And yes, today is my day off and I will be baking a big loaf of Blue Moon bread! Wine also makes pretty good bread. And my raisin bread features raisins soaked in rum for 24 hrs. Alcohol plays a big role in this house, but within controls. 

Sincerely, Boozin' Susan

Sepia said: Knowing a lot about a lot of different beers, to me, only means you know a lot of different ways of being an A**hole!

Well Sepia, there ARE people who are "lightweights".

I can only drink ONE glass of beer, and then usually one a week with a meal or I'll fall asleep within a half hour.

I never get drunk, even if drinking scotch or bourbon, which I sip over a long course of time. Alcohol puts me directly to sleep so it can only be done at home or with a designated driver.

The McMenamins I stayed at was like 20 years ago.....I kind of recall it was either a school or insane asylum. It's great when you have a successful business who will rehab grande old structures. I remember bundling up and going from shed outbuilding to outbuilding featuring craftsmen (like glassblowers) and "tastings" like cigars & ports. A most excellent vacation!

And yes, today is my day off and I will be baking a big loaf of Blue Moon bread! Wine also makes pretty good bread. And my raisin bread features raisins soaked in rum for 24 hrs. Alcohol plays a big role in this house, but within controls. 

Sincerely, Boozin' Susan

Alcohol currently plays no role in my life at all, although you'd never know it from reading my posts.

Alcohol currently plays no role in my life at all, although you'd never know it from reading my posts.

LOL

Ah-HA! So THAT'S why you suggested yesterday in another thread that I was half-blitzed whenever I sit in front of this here keyboard, EH?! 

(...ya see, now THIS is often the problem with assumptions, ol' buddy!) ;)

And my raisin bread features raisins soaked in rum for 24 hrs. Alcohol plays a big role in this house, but within controls. 

We use dark rum in banana bread. It truly adds a richness.

Our only use of beer is for roasts. It is simple to place potatoes, onions, beer and a roast in a dutch oven and place it in low oven for many hours. 

Wine is added to many things. My husband's "sweet, sour and savory shrimp" uses rice wine to marinate shrimp and in sauce. I use much sherry for mushrooms and onions. 

We add vodka to many things to bring out flavors when/where it is not practical to fry herbs or spices first. Most fat-soluble flavors dissolve in alcohol and they would remain locked away if we did nothing to release them. I like vodka because it in this way brightens food while not adding flavor of its own.

Ah-HA! So THAT'S why you suggested yesterday in another thread that I was half-blitzed whenever I sit in front of this here keyboard, EH?! 

My husband has a theory regarding computers and drinking:

All computers have boards which plug into other boards. All such connections have tiny gaps. The circuitry is calibrated to account for these gaps by calculation of electrical resistance and capacitance of air which fills the gaps. Fumes of alcohol have resistance and capacitance different from normal air. This difference is sufficient to induce errors in computations.

This is why your computer makes more mistakes when you have been drinking! :)

My husband has a theory regarding computers and drinking:

All computers have boards which plug into other boards. All such connections have tiny gaps. The circuitry is calibrated to account for these gaps by calculation of electrical resistance and capacitance of air which fills the gaps. Fumes of alcohol have resistance and capacitance different from normal air. This difference is sufficient to induce errors in computations.

This is why your computer makes more mistakes when you have been drinking! :)

LOL

Well, I guess THAT'S as good a theory as ANY, Sans!

(...though I'd guess the proof to this "theory" might be incumbent upon the "proof" of the alcohol content in each instance, right?!) ;) 

LOL

Well, I guess THAT'S as good a theory as ANY, Sans!

(...though I'd guess the proof to this "theory" might be incumbent upon the "proof" of the alcohol content in each instance, right?!)

Keyboards have to have built-in breathalyzers from now on. We demand it.

Keyboards have to have built-in breathalyzers from now on. We demand it.

AH, but dark, I don't think you're taking into account the thought that while SOME in the world are "MEAN Drunks", and as witnessed by the many if not most postings in websites geared toward the topic of politics, there are ALSO some in the world who become "HAPPY Drunks" after a few drinks who seem to loosen up enough to get that "bug outta their butt" and become someone who is much more a pleasure to be around and hear and/or read what they might have to say than they NORMALLY are!

And so, do we REALLY want to discourage the LATTER group and to the exclusion of the FORMER group here by lumping BOTH of these groups together ??? ;)

(...though as I mentioned to Sepia earlier in this thing, it does indeed seem a shame that those in HIS sphere seem to be of the former group) LOL