Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rick's Place vs Bennie's Tlaquepaque

Casablanca vs Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia 

You just feel, after watching Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia, that all the over extravagant Hollywood versions of expat Americans in far off lands and their bars/nightclubs are way way too antiseptic and safe and the women in them way too virginal. This film made between the end of the Hayes Code and before PC hits the nail on the head. You get a feeling that this was more like it would have been. Sam Peckinpah's twisted take on Rick's Place in "Casablanca", Bennie's Tlaquepaque tourist bar sequence, below enjoy. 

dave jenkins -  "This is most definitely the darkest film ever made and it shouldn't go without saying that it's got a lot in common with my favorite book, moby dick, one of the darkest ever written. Warren Oates has maybe the best performance I've ever witnessed. He plays a man that falls in love with a ****, ruins her, rises from the grave, goes mad with obsession over a head, talks to a rotting head in a bloody bag, asks it questions, kills at least a dozen men and succeeds willing each death with his desperation, makes a choice and never turns back, and goes has no escape from life. I have to agree with the gentlemen who did the commentary on the dvd, Bennie grieves much longer than any other character in cinema. Usually the hero grieves for a moment, declares his method of revenge and goes on with it. Bennie, however, slowly and painfully slips into hatred and aggression towards the obsession that ruined what little life he had left and is willed into deadly action by his desperation.

This film has the essential no way out theme, there is no point in the movie for a good hour leading up to it's finale that the viewer can think to themselves "why doesn't he just (blank) and get away", there simply is no choice to be made but his decline into absolute despair. Peckinpah shooting a tragedy in the 'real' unpolished Mexico, smoking barrels, whole families blown away, buried alive, rising from the grave, no way out, and a whole lot of the darkest comedy you will ever see.

The scenes in the graveyard, where everything that sets the second half of the film up happens, is so good and so daunting that I thought it couldn't possibly get any better than this, this has to be the bread and butter of the film. Bennie is ambushed and left for dead half-buried alive and what directly follows is some of the most disturbing stuff I've ever seen. Well what follows the most-disturbing stuff is a no-way-out rambling road trip into despair that darkly mocks a 70's buddy movie(remember he talks to the rotting fly-ridden head in the bloody bag). Every second from the graveyard on is gripping, dark, funny, disturbing, and wholly expected at the same time. No one could have done such an anti-Hollywood dirty, dark, and depressing film better than Peckinpah, and no one has since nor probably ever will."

So, in other words Joe, what you're sayin' here is that it's a damn good thing Capra did that "Wonderful Life" flick before Peckinpah got HIS hands on it, RIGHT?!

(...NBC is I'm sure thanking THEIR lucky stars every Christmas, anyway!) ;)

I will take Rick's Place every time.  I'll take Bogart classy over classless filth every day of my life.  I hope I've made my choice adequately in your mind's eye.  If not then reread my small post and ponder the words more thoroughly.

I will take Rick's Place every time.  I'll take Bogart classy over classless filth every day of my life.  I hope I've made my choice adequately in your mind's eye.  If not then reread my small post and ponder the words more thoroughly.

Well, SURE rr, In that clip Joe provided here, maybe Warren WASN'T as good at tickin' the ol' ivories as well as Dooley was, but is THAT any reason go off here, dude???!!!

(...yeah, actually, I hear ya...with a few exceptions, I never was that big a Peckinpah fan myself...his films often remind me of what a John Huston movie MIGHT look like IF John had happened to have been a Meth addict)

• Like 1

Casablanca vs Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia 

This film made between the end of the Hayes Code and before PC hits the nail on the head. You get a feeling that this was more like it would have been.

Don't forget that bank robbers always wore nice suits and usually were polite in the 1930s and 40s.

john-dillinger-public-enemy-no-1-daniel-

Hmmmmm....gotta wonder here if Fred subconsciously or on purpose picked a picture of Dillinger(who btw, my father swore as a kid he once met in Indianapolis after Dillinger rolled up in his Ford V8 and gave him the money to go purchase a pack of cigarettes for him while he stayed in his car...but I digress) because of Warren Oates once portraying him on film and Oates' resemblance to the gangster?

(...so what was it, Fred?..Fred???...FRED???...oh, THAT'S right...I forgot...never mind) LOL

The point is a joint like Rick's Place was probably more or less a Hollywood fantasy, and a place like Bennie's the hard reality world over. I hope you realize I couldn't give a rats a about your opinion, or your condescending attitude if not stick it, ponder that pard.  :rolleyes: 

Dang shame about that '62 Impala droptop, dude! Always thought THAT year was one of the best lookin' full-size Chevys ever.

But then again, Warren Oates always DID give me the sense that he was about as bright as Gary Busey is!

(...before OR after the idiot crashed his Harley while being DUMB enough to ride without a freakin' HELMET on!!!!) LOL