Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Hi, I'm Robert Osborne..."

Barton_Keyes

Here's a great new interview Robert Osborne did for Dan Barry -- I think it's a must-read for any regular viewer of Turner Classic Movies. This appeared in the November 19 edition of 'The New York Times':

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/movies/robert-osborne-is-the-face-of-tcm.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Thank you so very much for posting a link to this excellent and informative article.  Made my day to read it and enjoy it.  May good fortune smile upon you the rest of this day.  Again, many thanks.

Here's a great new interview Robert Osborne did for Dan Barry -- I think it's a must-read for any regular viewer of Turner Classic Movies. This appeared in the November 19 edition of 'The New York Times':

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/movies/robert-osborne-is-the-face-of-tcm.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

What exactly is this "building on E. 23rd Street"?

That still doesn't answer my question. It just makes me more curious.

There are a lot of spaces/studios on 23rd Street. The old Gramercy movie house is used for concerts. The School of Visual Arts has plenty of spaces.  Despite having the huge building at Columbus Circle, TW Cable has space at 120 East 23rd. Street. I don't know if they have a whole building, I would think just some space.

I knew RO lived in the Osborne, on W. 57th Street, but I'm surprised the article mentioned that. It's right across from Carnegie Hall, about a 15-minute walk from where I live.

Yeah, and that's always the OTHER way I direct people whenever they ask me how to get to Carnegie Hall.

(...they never seem to like that whole "practice" thing I tell 'em anymore)

Btw Barton, thanks for posting this link. Good read.

I LOVE the introduction to the NY Times article.  The last sentence below is so true that I'm sure everyone here will identify with it.

Out on the sidewalks of the Flatiron district, a Manhattan without melodrama shuffles along. But just inside a building on East 23rd Street, a white-haired man dressed to kill aims his baby blues right where you live, and utters the password to your grand escape.

“Hi,” he says. “I’m Robert Osborne.”

He says it again and again and again, smiling congenially at the camera that dangles over a warm set designed to evoke his living room. Hi, I’m Robert Osborne. Hi, I’m Robert Osborne. Hi, I’m Robert Osborne.

Say hi to Mr. Osborne, the marquee host for the Turner Classic Movies channel, who is filming introductions for movies to be shown well into December. As always, the films are organized by themes so beguiling that you sit down to watch “North by Northwest,” and the next thing you know, weeks have passed, and your family has left you — so you might as well finish watching “Bringing Up Baby.” Again.

What a great article! It was fascinating.  I love reading/hearing personal recollections of people's experiences working with a particular actor from Classic Hollywood.  Every year that passes, there are less and less people who will be able to give these first hand accounts of working/meeting/etc. Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, etc. I love these stories. 

I know that there have been those on this board who don't like the information provided in the film intros; but I love them.  I always learn things from these intros.  It's very frustrating not having access to TCM right now.  So many great things I'm missing.

It was nice reading the little stat about how 60% of TCM's viewing audience was between 20 and 54.  I guess there are millennials out there who do appreciate older films ;-)

Thank you so much for sharing this Barton.  I loved it! 

What I find interesting is that Osborne takes full credit for writing the intros & outros.....something I assumed had been written FOR him by  TCM staff using the internet as a source. 

So....the inaccuracies often heard are his own. I can wholly understand mistakes, after all, he's 82 years old!

How can anyone expect to keep tons of unimportant information in their brain forever? I'm sure he has source books to reference, but at 52 y/o I can't even remember WHICH BOOK some factoid was written in!

As for his appearance, I not only think he's an outstandingly handsome man for his age....I love his suits and more striking is the color choices of the shirts & ties. I sorely miss well dressed people, especially on TV.

While I'm no fan of R.O.'s intros/outros banal simplicity, I realize they're geared to a "newbie" type audience and his regal appearance is befitting of the grandest classic movie channel.

• Like 1

What I find interesting is that Osborne takes full credit for writing the intros & outros.....something I assumed had been written FOR him by  TCM staff using the internet as a source. 

So....the inaccuracies often heard are his own. I can wholly understand mistakes, after all, he's 82 years old!

How can anyone expect to keep tons of unimportant information in their brain forever? I'm sure he has source books to reference, but at 52 y/o I can't even remember WHICH BOOK some factoid was written in!

As for his appearance, I not only think he's an outstandingly handsome man for his age....I love his suits and more striking is the color choices of the shirts & ties. I sorely miss well dressed people, especially on TV.

While I'm no fan of R.O.'s intros/outros banal simplicity, I realize they're geared to a "newbie" type audience and his regal appearance is befitting of the grandest classic movie channel.

From all the mistakes in the intros, I don't know why he'd want to take full credit.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings