Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SimplySandy

No Christmas in December?

Looked through December's schedule and there are very few Christmas movies to watch. 

Isn't anyone else (but me) bothered by this?

We look forward to watching these Christmas classics every year and they seem to be putting on fewer each season.  Are we being Politically Correct now because "Christmas" offends some people?

Most of us have traditions during the Holidays and these movies are part of them for many of us.

Wish someone from TCM would address this issue.....

• Like 1

There are an abundance of Christmas-theme movies airing each Thursday throughout the month of December. The reason you're not seeing films like MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET or IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE has nothing to do with political correctness. It's about TCM being unable to acquire the rights to the most obvious Christmas films.

There are an abundance of Christmas-theme movies airing each Thursday throughout the month of December. The reason you're not seeing films like MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET or IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE has nothing to do with political correctness. It's about TCM being unable to acquire the rights to the most obvious Christmas films.

We've discussed WONDERFUL LIFE before in other threads. But MIRACLE is one they could definitely acquire. And if you look on the main TCM webpage, you will see there is a blurb in the news section where they are partnering with Macy's for a special screening of the classic holiday film in New York City.  But it should still air on TCM for those that cannot get to NYC.

A few years ago, it came up as a pay-on-demand title when I had Time Warner in Arizona. They also had the original HARVEY with Jimmy Stewart. Normally, I don't do pay-on-demand, but that time I did. Each one cost $2.99 and it was worth it. I made sure I recorded a copy of both MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET and HARVEY, because I was tired of waiting for them to air on TCM.  HARVEY would be great at Easter time, along with the overplayed EASTER PARADE. 

Looked through December's schedule and there are very few Christmas movies to watch. 

We look forward to watching these Christmas classics every year and they seem to be putting on fewer each season.  Are we being Politically Correct now because "Christmas" offends some people?

Most of us have traditions during the Holidays and these movies are part of them for many of us.

My review of Now Playing shows a nice selection of Christmas movies.  However, if you really need a fix, watch Hallmark and Hallmark Movie Channels.  They are both showing Christmas movies 24/7 until Christmas.  Some are classics such as original Christmas in Connececticut.  Natuarally you'll have to endure the commercials.

I'm happy that TCM is showing a Christmas movie I haven't seen in almost 30 years --- Paramount's The Lemon Drop Kid (1951), in which Bob Hope introduces the song Silver Bells

The Lemon Drop Kid airs Saturday, Nov. 29th, at 2:30 p.m., Eastern Time.

We've discussed WONDERFUL LIFE before in other threads. But MIRACLE is one they could definitely acquire. And if you look on the main TCM webpage, you will see there is a blurb in the news section where they are partnering with Macy's for a special screening of the classic holiday film in New York City.  But it should still air on TCM for those that cannot get to NYC.

A few years ago, it came up as a pay-on-demand title when I had Time Warner in Arizona. They also had the original HARVEY with Jimmy Stewart. Normally, I don't do pay-on-demand, but that time I did. Each one cost $2.99 and it was worth it. I made sure I recorded a copy of both MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET and HARVEY, because I was tired of waiting for them to air on TCM.  HARVEY would be great at Easter time, along with the overplayed EASTER PARADE. 

HARVEY? Just because it's rabbit? How about RABBIT TEST?

Or----BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING.

Actually, I have the films mentioned on DVD, and don't HAVE to wait for the greedy to negotiate terms in which they could accquire a movie for broadcasting. 

Sepiatone

Can you think of a better time than Easter to air HARVEY? I can't. Why not a whole evening of rabbit-themed films-- and since more recent films are becoming the norm, include SPACE JAM with Bugs Bunny.

Can you think of a better time than Easter to air HARVEY? I can't. Why not a whole evening of rabbit-themed films-- and since more recent films are becoming the norm, include SPACE JAM with Bugs Bunny.

How 'bout we throw in The Egg and I? :D

And don't forget 8 MILE featuring  Marshall Mathers (aka Eminem) as "B-Rabbit."

"Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity, to seize everything you ever wanted, one moment, would you capture it? Or just let it slip?  . . ." 

• Like 1

Or----BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING.

Actually, I have the films mentioned on DVD, and don't HAVE to wait for the greedy to negotiate terms in which they could accquire a movie for broadcasting. 

Sepiatone

..or a bio of Hugh Hefner (get it?)

And I know all your Mel Brooks people are in seventh heaven with Christmas Day, but really why on Christmas DAY!  could we do it another day, really.  Thanksgiving here was amiss as well, because children's movies didn't appeal on that day either.  Actually lately there have been a lot of days I have given TCM a miss, thank goodness for PBS.  I know, I know, I think only a few of us who displeased with TCM lately, and feel that there has been a big programming shift, are the minority, but I am entitled to voice an opinion as well. 

And I know all your Mel Brooks people are in seventh heaven with Christmas Day, but really why on Christmas DAY! 

This is a tribute to all of us who go out to eat in Chinese restaurants on Christmas Day as our holiday is usually over.  I laughed when I saw the scheduling but with a tear that Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs and Men in Tights were not being shown.  Love the Yiddish speaking indians, the Drewish Princess and the pig that Robin throws down on the table of Prince John.  Classic movie moments for me anyway

Merry Christmas  

The first Copyright says 1897!

I looked through Now Playing more carefully and realized you are correct about the lack of Christmas movies this year.  There are some, but not as many and not as often.  For example, The Lemon Drop Kid was shown in November and will not repeat-almost missed it.

Actually lately there have been a lot of days I have given TCM a miss, thank goodness for PBS.  I know, I know, I think only a few of us who displeased with TCM lately, and feel that there has been a big programming shift, are the minority, but I am entitled to voice an opinion as well.

I wouldn't say I was displeased with TCM, but I have noticed that I watch it a lot less these days.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1048237|0/Christmas-Classics-in-December.html

This is TCM's Christmas schedule for this month--seems like there are quite a few Christmas-themed movies to me.  Last week, I picked up It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street for $7 each.  I also got a copy of Christmas in Connecticut for $4.  I also have copies of all the other "Christmas standards" that I enjoy watching each year.  I am looking forward to seeing some of the Christmas films TCM has scheduled that I haven't seen yet. 

This Sunday, TCM is showing a Christmas double feature of the 1938 A Christmas Carol and Christmas in Connecticut in specific theaters across the country. For me, the only version of A Christmas Carol worth watching is A Muppet Christmas Carol (I'm just wacky though).  I'm not planning on going to that screening.  On the 14th and 15th, TCM is showing White Christmas in specific theaters across the country.  I've already got my ticket! I love White Christmas

Here is a link to a site that list all the Christmas movies, times, dates, channels. I hope it helps. Merry Christmas!

http://www.christmastvschedule.com/

I wouldn't say I was displeased with TCM, but I have noticed that I watch it a lot less these days.

I could not agree with you more...I too have been moving to ME-TV lately just because there is nothing on network tv I usally watch.

You should have NO trouble finding Christmas fare on TV at anytime.  All depends on what you're preferring.

If it's Christmas CLASSICS, like "A CHRISTMAS CAROL" (any version, Sim, Owen, Scott, et al), "Wonderful Life", "34th Street" or the others, you might BE disappointed in TCM this year.  From what I hear.

But there IS no shortage of Christmas TRIPE on other channels like TBS, Lifetime and Hallmark.  Like the one in which Vanessa Williams plays a character called (urp!) EBONY SCROOGE!

Thank GOD for DVDs!

Sepiatone

What surprises me is that Cary Grant is December's Star of the Month, and yet his greatest Christmas film -- "The Bishop's Wife" -- isn't being shown on TCM this holiday season.

Funny, TCM is now advertising about its holiday movies on the homepage. Thursdays in DEC! :D

I'm happy that TCM is showing a Christmas movie I haven't seen in almost 30 years --- Paramount's The Lemon Drop Kid (1951), in which Bob Hope introduces the song Silver Bells

Really?  That is a pity, since "Silver Bells" may be the song I hate the most in the entire world.

Really?  That is a pity, since "Silver Bells" may be the song I hate the most in the entire world.

I'll bet you just loved Bob Hope's annual Christmas specials on NBC then. It was customary for him to sing "Silver Bells" every year, usually with a fetching guest star.