Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time Machine – Which Three Books?

Notan

Since TCM showed The Time Machine tonight, I’ll pose the question: If you were George, returning to the future of the Eloi and the Morlocks, which three books would you take?

I’d take a book about agriculture, a book about medicine, and a book about engineering. The engineering book might be overkill for George the inventor, but maybe not. If I knew all he needed to know about engineering, then the third book I'd take would be a book on the history of the world.

(I used the search to see if this question had been posed in the past, but the first two or three pages of the results did not seem to be relevant. I searched for The Time Machine, and which three books. The site’s search doesn’t seem to be that useful. So, if this question has been posed before, I apologize.)

• Like 1

Since TCM showed The Time Machine tonight, I’ll pose the question: If you were George, returning to the future of the Eloi and the Morlocks, which three books would you take?

I’d take a book about agriculture, a book about medicine, and a book about engineering. The engineering book might be overkill for George the inventor, but maybe not. If I knew all he needed to know about engineering, then the third book I'd take would be a book on the history of the world.

(I used the search to see if this question had been posed in the past, but the first two or three pages of the results did not seem to be relevant. I searched for The Time Machine, and which three books. The site’s search doesn’t seem to be that useful. So, if this question has been posed before, I apologize.)

Very practical choices and along the lines of what I would do.   But I wouldn't take a book on world history;  Since history repeats itself learning history isn't going to prevent or reduce future issues.   (I'm cracking wise here but only to a degree).

Very practical choices and along the lines of what I would do.   But I wouldn't take a book on world history;  Since history repeats itself learning history isn't going to prevent or reduce future issues.   (I'm cracking wise here but only to a degree).

I certainly see your point, and as far as **** sapiens is concerned, I completely agree with you. With the Morlocks and Eloi, however, Wells suggests the possible evolution of H. sapiens into either an additional species (Morlock) or, better yet, into two entirely new species (Morlock and Eloi).

It would be with a potentially misplaced optimism that I would hope that whatever selective pressure exerted itself on humanity would have eliminated the learning disorder [tongue in cheek] gene from the Eloi, and that they would have the genetic inclination to use our world history as a cautionary tale, and perhaps avoid the diligently repeated mistakes of H. sapiens.

Of course, if the Eloi were a new species, they might instinctively avoid our detrimental behavior anyway.

On the other hand, the Eloi don’t seem to be the most intellectually auspicious building blocks for a new Utopia. Maybe George grabbed a book on oenology, a book on gastronomy, and his illustrated copy of the Kama Sutra.

Nice to meet you, JJG.

I certainly see your point, and as far as **** sapiens is concerned, I completely agree with you. With the Morlocks and Eloi, however, Wells suggests the possible evolution of H. sapiens into either an additional species (Morlock) or, better yet, into two entirely new species (Morlock and Eloi).

It would be with a potentially misplaced optimism that I would hope that whatever selective pressure exerted itself on humanity would have eliminated the learning disorder [tongue in cheek] gene from the Eloi, and that they would have the genetic inclination to use our world history as a cautionary tale, and perhaps avoid the diligently repeated mistakes of H. sapiens.

Of course, if the Eloi were a new species, they might instinctively avoid our detrimental behavior anyway.

On the other hand, the Eloi don’t seem to be the most intellectually auspicious building blocks for a new Utopia. Maybe George grabbed a book on oenology, a book on gastronomy, and his illustrated copy of the Kama Sutra.

Nice to meet you, JJG.

Nice to see someone with a great sense of humor.    The Time Machine was one of my favorite movies as a young teen.  It got me into science fiction novels but I admit I went from the 'classic' authors to Philip K. Dick after a few years.

Nice to see someone with a great sense of humor.    The Time Machine was one of my favorite movies as a young teen.  It got me into science fiction novels but I admit I went from the 'classic' authors to Philip K. Dick after a few years.

Perhaps to my discredit, I had never heard of Phillip K. Dick until you mentioned him. For the most part, my Sci-Fi reading stopped with Arthur C. Clarke and Asimov’s Foundation trilogy.

Several of Dick’s themes sound right up my alley. I’ll have to add one of his books to my reading list. Is there a particular book of his that you recommend?

Thanks. 

Perhaps to my discredit, I had never heard of Phillip K. Dick until you mentioned him. For the most part, my Sci-Fi reading stopped with Arthur C. Clarke and Asimov’s Foundation trilogy.

Several of Dick’s themes sound right up my alley. I’ll have to add one of his books to my reading list. Is there a particular book of his that you recommend?

Thanks. 

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is his most famous work.  It was the basis for the movie Blade Runner.   It is a good read and of course,  like most books, goes into a lot more depth than the movie.

Another book I recommend is Clans of the Alphane Moon.   It is about a CIA robot programmer that decides to kill his wife by remote control.    His books are full of great humor and this one has a good plot.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is his most famous work.  It was the basis for the movie Blade Runner.   It is a good read and of course,  like most books, goes into a lot more depth than the movie.

Another book I recommend is Clans of the Alphane Moon.   It is about a CIA robot programmer that decides to kill his wife by remote control.    His books are full of great humor and this one has a good plot.

Thanks, JJG!

Both of those sound like great reads!

N.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings