Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The MVWs (Music Video Westerns)

cigarjoe

The Westerns that belong to that curious quasi comedy sub genre of Westerns, those Westerns that were some what spoofs that also included what were basically "music videos" contemporary pop tunes, musical interludes that interrupted the flow of the narrative. I'm not talking about outright comedy Westerns i.e. like Cat Ballou or say The Hallelujah Trail

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid started this particular trend, it also featured a non traditional a cappella soundtrack. Below are those that come to mind can you think of others? 

The Music Video Westerns or MVW's 

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969) 

The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) 

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972) 

The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox (1976)

The Westerns that belong to that curious quasi comedy sub genre of Westerns, those Westerns that were some what spoofs that also included what were basically "music videos" contemporary pop tunes, musical interludes that interrupted the flow of the narrative. I'm not talking about outright comedy Westerns i.e. like Cat Ballou or say The Hallelujah Trail

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid started this particular trend, it also featured a non traditional a cappella soundtrack. Below are those that come to mind can you think of others? 

The Music Video Westerns or MVW's 

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969) 
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) 
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972) 
The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox (1976)

All of the singing cowboy movies.  Lot of them are shown on Encore Westerns.

All of the singing cowboy movies.  Lot of them are shown on Encore Westerns.

The modern trend, I mean, I'd consider the Singing Cowboy Movies there own sub genre of the Western. 

I'd also clarify the OP to stress "musical interludes that interrupted the flow of the narrative"  or took you completely out of the film, I wouldn't include say "Knocking on Heavens Door" (Bob Dylan - Pat Garret and Billy The Kid) nor "The Stranger" (Leonard Cohen - McCabe & Mrs. Miller) which strangely complemented their respective films. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings