Rocky Horror Picture Show

Cry-Baby

Bring it On

Love Actually

Elf

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Cactus Flower

What a Way to Go!

I almost forgot! We have certain Christmas movies we MUST see each year. Some classic, some are just silly fun like Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. It's a tradition in our home. Ho Ho Ho

For Holidays, we have to watch each year:

Halloween

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Nightmare Before Christmas

Carrie (original)

Halloween (original)

Friday the 13th (first one)

Nightmare on Elm Street (first one)

Young Frankenstein

Shaun of the Dead

Thanksgiving

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

The Wizard of Oz

There aren't really many Thanksgiving themed films.  I'm not a fan of the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  We tend to segue into Christmas.  Lol.

Christmas

Grumpy Old Men

A Christmas Story

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Gremlins

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Elf

Love Actually

Charlie Brown Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon)

Frosty the Snowman (cartoon with Jimmy Durante singing the theme song)

White Christmas

Meet Me in St. Louis

Holiday Inn

• Like 1

There aren't really many Thanksgiving themed films.  I'm not a fan of the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  We tend to segue into Christmas.  Lol.

Yeah Speedy, I suppose you're right here.

I mean, even though most are real turkeys, in the technical sense, none of Adam Sandler's movies could legitimately qualify as being about "Thanksgiving", huh!

(...yeah yeah, I know...MUCH too easy, huh!) ;)

Yeah Speedy, I suppose you're right here.

I mean, even though most are real turkeys, in the technical sense, none of Adam Sandler's movies could legitimately qualify as being about "Thanksgiving", huh!

(...yeah yeah, I know...MUCH too easy, huh!) ;)

Lol.  I suppose I should add a few Adam Sandler movies to ones that I love without reservation:

Happy Gilmore

Billy Madison

The Wedding Singer

I'll admit though, that his most recent efforts definitely fall into the "turkey" category.  Lol.

The first title that pops into my head is MY MAN GODFREY.  There are many others, but this one is the immediate response.

I agree--this one makes me so happy. "If other people can have five children than so can other people!"

Another I melt into a puddle thinking about is LILI :)

• Like 1

I almost forgot! We have certain Christmas movies we MUST see each year. Some classic, some are just silly fun like Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. It's a tradition in our home. Ho Ho Ho

Yeah!! I watch that one too.

Love that song over the opening titles:

"This old house - sure is lookin' good,

We got the finest snowman in the neighborhood"

The Letter (Bette Davis is so so so GOOD in this movie)

Destry Rides Again (because...Dietrich)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Great songs, great lines, great chemistry between the leading ladies--all around awesome)

The Lost Boys (I know, I know. But I can't help myself)

Casablanca (Just everything)

The Lion in Winter (Ditto. And Hepburn and O'Toole are astonishingly good together)

Ghostbusters (Fun and funny)

Aladdin (Disney version--a joyride. And a half)

The Thin Man movies (I'm a sucker for quotable dialogue and good chemistry. And William Powell)

Lord of the Rings movies (If I could live in any movie world, it would probably be this one--gorgeous!)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Or this one)

Raising Arizona (lots of quotable dialogue and quirky characters. Nicholas Cage's voiceovers crack me up)

Waking Ned Devine (This one may be an acquired taste, but it's a delightfully funny, somewhat black comedy)

There are probably more, but that's all I can pull up off the top of my head.

I have unequivocal love for any movie with Nat Pendleton, Edward Arnold, Glenda Farrell, Jean Harlow,  Guy Kibbee, Ned Sparks, Toshiro Mifune, C. Aubrey Smith, Charles Coburn, Jean Gabin, Myrna Loy, Eric Blore, Warren William, Clara Bow, Daniel Day-Lewis, Raymond Burr, Louise Brooks, Al Pacino, or Lon Chaney, and almost any movie with Barbara Stanwyck, William Powell, Robert Ryan, Richard Conte, Joan Blondell, Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Ida Lupino, Jean Arthur, Louis Calhern, Marjorie Main, Richard Dix, Sybil Jason, Judy Davis, Richard Widmark, Robert De Niro, Eugene Pallette, Harvey Keitel, Edward G. Robinson, Lee Tracy, Jack Carson. Burt Lancaster, Dana Andrews, or Glenn Ford.  I'm very easy to please.

I don't believe you can have a list of Christmas movies without including "A Christmas Story".  This movie resonates with all of us who celebrated the holidays with our families in the late 40's through the 50's.  This includes right down to managing the coal burning furnace which I grew up with along with delightful comments from my father which, unlike the movie, were not muffled. 

Another reminiscent bit in the movie is getting your mouth washed out with soap for various infractions of language, that thanks to our Dad, we assumed were ok.  But then we weren't shoveling coal.