Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If the moguls were alive today...

What do you think Harry Cohn, Jack Warner, L. B. Mayer, Darryl F. Zanuck would say about their old studios having become independent production outlets as well as television sitcom/drama facilities - if they were alive today?

They wouldn't be saying anything - they'd all be in jail for sexual harassment.

What do you think Harry Cohn, Jack Warner, L. B. Mayer, Darryl F. Zanuck would say about their old studios having become independent production outlets as well as television sitcom/drama facilities - if they were alive today?

They would say that this never would have happened if they were still running the studios.

And sued for creating/condoning a hostile work environment!

Bingo.

And put upon by PETA and the AHA and the animal lovers on Twitter and Facebook who would be decrying the animals thrown off cliffs and killed by trip wires and worked to death and made to endure inhumane suffering and those are just the mammals and reptiles. Then there are the thousands of birds killed just to make costumes with zillions of feathers on them.

Gee, I bet the studio moguls are glad they're dead.

Bingo.

And put upon by PETA and the AHA and the animal lovers on Twitter and Facebook who would be decrying the animals thrown off cliffs and killed by trip wires and worked to death and made to endure inhumane suffering and those are just the mammals and reptiles. Then there are the thousands of birds killed just to make costumes with zillions of feathers on them.

Gee, I bet the studio moguls are glad they're dead.

As Red Skelton implied, a lot of others were presumably glad that Harry Cohn was dead.

Which explained the huge attendance at his funeral.

Rick, I've apparently reached my arbitrary LIKE quotient for the day, so LIKE, LIKE, and LIKE.

Can you believe it, a QUOTIENT ON LIKES? HAH, where would Zukerberg be if he had a mandatory quotient on LIKES?

Stupidest thing I've ever seen. Well...................almost.

• Like 1

IF THE MOGULS WERE ALIVE TODAY . . . their wrinkled, sagging forehead flesh would be drooping down so far it would cover their eyes so they'd not be able to see jack sh*t. 

They'd have to use a clothes pin to 'knot' up their head flesh and pull it up over their aged scalps so they could watch movies.

• Like 1

I don't think it's as simple as just saying "What would the mogals think?"  The whole entertainment business has changed. Production, exhibition, distribution, technology. They were, after all, businessmen and to see the extent of the changes and how much money films of  today cost to make, but also bring in at the box office, would amaze them.

They never would have imagined that with in a few months after release, their biggest films would be showing in peoples' own homes on screens often as big as those in their own studio screening rooms and being played on a little silver disc that people can actually buy and keep. In those days, that would have been considered science fiction.

Like any major change, in our society, it takes getting use to, but after the shock wore off, from a business standpoint, they might just like it.

I don't think it's as simple as just saying "What would the mogals think?"  The whole entertainment business has changed. Production, exhibition, distribution, technology. They were, after all, businessmen and to see the extent of the changes and how much money films of  today cost to make, but also bring in at the box office, would amaze them.

They never would have imagined that with in a few months after release, their biggest films would be showing in peoples' own homes on screens often as big as those in their own studio screening rooms and being played on a little silver disc that people can actually buy and keep. In those days, that would have been considered science fiction.

Like any major change, in our society, it takes getting use to, but after the shock wore off, from a business standpoint, they might just like it.

Of course. But, in exchange for them liking the new model, they'd have to give up their casting couches.

So............the question remains, would they do it? Would they weigh one against the other and clean up their act? What do you think?

IF THE MOGULS WERE ALIVE TODAY . . . their wrinkled, sagging forehead flesh would be drooping down so far it would cover their eyes so they'd not be able to see jack sh*t. 

They'd have to use a clothes pin to 'knot' up their head flesh and pull it up over their aged scalps so they could watch movies.

Maybe not. They could all afford to get $20,000,000 face lifts.

they would all exclaim in unison, simply...

"What the hell happened?"

;)

Precisely...and to those whose responses discuss the non "political correctness of the time" and the moguls activities.  We were not there, we didn't live in those times and experience the events.  All cultures change, in some ways for the good and then in some ways for the bad.

It is not for me to judge the moguls...I believe that has been done by a higher power... but to enjoy the movies they produced.  And it took more than the moguls to make the movies.   Just review the credits for directors like Wyler and Hawks, Carol Reed, camera operators like Greg Toland and screen writers like Ben Hecht and Graham Green and art directors like Vincent Korda.

The movies were not just the moguls but they had the "gift" to persevere and put it all together.  They mostly likely saw the impact of their immoral acts to their lives in ways we will never be privy to and judged here on earth. 

• Like 1

Of course. But, in exchange for them liking the new model, they'd have to give up their casting couches.

So............the question remains, would they do it? Would they weigh one against the other and clean up their act? What do you think?

Do you really think that the "benefits" of the casting couch doesn't exist anymore? Maybe they call it something else today, but one way or another, that kind of thing still happens in the power circles of Hollywood.  So if those guys were in the movie business today, they might very well act the way they did back then.

Well, if the moguls had been alive today, they would all be unemployed.  Even in the 1950s, some were being forced out, or moved out of the way of the force to move them out:  Louis B. Mayer was out by the early 1950s, Darryl Zanuck left in 1956. although, like José López de Santa Ana, he chose to take advantage of a situation, and returned to power a few years later in 1962; however, it did not last.  The changes in the movie industry was forcing out those that didn't die in office (Harry Cohn), or had the studios get sold out from under them. 

Do you really think that the "benefits" of the casting couch doesn't exist anymore? Maybe they call it something else today, but one way or another, that kind of thing still happens in the power circles of Hollywood.  So if those guys were in the movie business today, they might very well act the way they did back then.

Is that right? Well, I hope a woman is in agreement with a mogul on the issue of the casting couch. I hope there aren't any women left in 2014 who are being forced to the casting couch, as I'm sure most women were in the early studio days.

IF a mogul and a starlet are consenting adults, emphasis on consenting and adult, then more power to her.

Again, I hope. This would have been the duty of their mothers to rear them correctly, and if they couldn't rely on their talent, then they should go into the mogul's lair with eyes wide open.

What a shame.

Well, if the moguls had been alive today, they would all be unemployed.  Even in the 1950s, some were being forced out, or moved out of the way of the force to move them out:  Louis B. Mayer was out by the early 1950s, Darryl Zanuck left in 1956. although, like José López de Santa Ana, he chose to take advantage of a situation, and returned to power a few years later in 1962; however, it did not last.  The changes in the movie industry was forcing out those that didn't die in office (Harry Cohn), or had the studios get sold out from under them. 

Good to hear.

But they always could be independent producers. Anyone with a decent rolodex could get some traction in that area.

Sex is still a tradeable commodity, it's true.

But they always could be independent producers. Anyone with a decent rolodex could get some traction in that area.

Now ya see DGF, THIS is why the question this thread posits is so illogical!

(...nobody USES a freakin' "Rolodex" anymore, AND anyone's name and number on one would probably already be DEAD!!!) 

Mayer, Jack Warner, Darryl Zanuck...all forced out of their studios. Harry Cohn was the only mogul to hold on to his studio, as mentioned. But had he lived I think he would have been eventually separated and stripped of his power, as Columbia did go public. And those who feared him would have been the ones to oust him!

Now ya see DGF, THIS is why the question this thread posits is so illogical!

(...nobody USES a freakin' "Rolodex" anymore, AND anyone's name and number on one would probably already be DEAD!!!) 

You haven't noticed that, except for my fitness interest, I'm still living in the 1950s?  Incidentally, the nickname of Eddie Gottlieb was "The Mogul". If you don't know who he was, look him up.