Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LA CIÉNAGA

HoldenIsHere

You DO know doncha Holden that if one takes La Cienega far enough south, they'll eventually hit the Slauson Cutoff, right?!

(...sorry, couldn't resist...sounds like an interesting movie from your description)

God Bless La Cienega, my maxim: when in LA, forget the freeways: always take surface streets.

ps- if mi memoria is right, la cienega means "the swamp."

God Bless La Cienega, my maxim: when in LA, forget the freeways: always take surface streets.

ps- if mi memoria is right, la cienega means "the swamp."

Yes, the English translation of la ciénaga is "the swamp."

(thanks, Dargo and LHF, for the Los Angeles reference.)  

A blurb on the movie La Ciénaga is below:

The release of Lucrecia Martel’s La Ciénaga heralded the arrival of an astonishingly vital and original voice in Argentine cinema. With a radical and disturbing take on narrative, beautiful cinematography, and a highly sophisticated use of on- and offscreen sound, Martel turns her tale of a dissolute bourgeois extended family, whiling away the hours of one sweaty, sticky summer, into a cinematic marvel. This visceral take on class, nature, sexuality, and the ways that political turmoil and social stagnation can manifest in human relationships is a drama of extraordinary tactility, and one of the great contemporary film debuts.

La-Cienaga-504x400.jpg

la_cienaga_04.jpg

69218550_ph3.jpg

• Like 2

Q:

Is is La Cienaga or La Cienega? I thought it was with an "e."

It's LA CIÉNAGA with an "a."

ciengapic.jpg

But the road in the Los Angeles area is spelled wth an an "e":

4602898055_e1fb460d41.jpg

La Cienega Blvd was apparently named after the Rancho Las Cienegas Mexican land grant, which did get its name from the Spanish word for swamp, ciénaga. I'm not sure why the spelling was changed for the name of the land grant, but the change was carried over to the spelling of La Cienega Blvd.

• Like 1

La Cienega Blvd was apparently named after the Rancho Las Cienegas Mexican land grant, which did get its name from the Spanish word for swamp, ciénaga. I'm not sure why the spelling was changed for the name of the land grant, but the change was carried over to the spelling of La Cienega Blvd.

Ah. I knew it didn't look right with the "a."

so there's no confusion, THIS is what's airing tonight....

2:15 am ET          PREMIERE
C- 103 min
comedy
La Ciénaga (2001)

A rundown country home is the site for drinking and teen sexual explorations.

DirLucrecia Martel CastMartin Adjemian , Diego Baenas , Leonora Balcarce .

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/t...a/articles.html

"an attempt on the part of its maker to transcend her family history and heal the damage done by the traumas of provincial rearing."

220px-Lacienagaposter.jpg

so there's no confusion, THIS is what's airing tonight....

2:15 am ET          PREMIERE
C- 103 min
comedy
La Ciénaga (2001)

A rundown country home is the site for drinking and teen sexual explorations.

DirLucrecia Martel CastMartin Adjemian , Diego Baenas , Leonora Balcarce .

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/t...a/articles.html

"an attempt on the part of its maker to transcend her family history and heal the damage done by the traumas of provincial rearing."

Damn shame the Lesbian thing isn't airing though.

One can't mention La Cienega and La Brea without mentioning the third member of the " N-S Surface Streets Triumvarite" (sp?), Sepulveda.

And then SOME can't mention Sepulveda without also mentioning Pico...as in a certain 1947 recording by "Felix Figueroa"(actually Freddy Martin) and his Orchestra.

(...and as any fan of Dr.Demento's old radio show knows) ;)

And then SOME can't mention Sepulveda without also mentioning Pico...as in a certain 1947 recording by "Felix Figueroa"(actually Freddy Martin) and his Orchestra.

(...and as any fan of Dr.Demento's old radio show knows) ;)

It shows how old I've gotten that I forgot all about Sepulveda.

Personally, Fairfax was my road in LA. I'd take that thing wherever I was going.

Ah. I knew it didn't look right with the "a."

Yes, but we Angelenos are the one with the wrong spelling, which should be Ciénaga, with the A.  It probably had to do with a regional variation in pronunciation, which then was written thus. 

incidentally, the accented lower case é, is done by Right Alt, and 130.  Likewise, Sepúlveda, with the accented ú, is with R-Alt 163.  The numbers are done on the 10-key.

Yes, but we Angelenos are the one with the wrong spelling, which should be Ciénaga, with the A.  It probably had to do with a regional variation in pronunciation, which then was written thus. 

incidentally, the accented lower case é, is done by Right Alt, and 130.  Likewise, Sepúlveda, with the accented ú, is with R-Alt 163.

Well, if ANYONE would know about this at all Arturo, it would be you of course...a native of "Los Hangle-LEES"!!!! ;)

(...ME?!...well THIS native of that city is STILL glad Jack Webb started every Dragnet episode by saying: "This is the city..."Los AN-gel-us" California", 'cause thank god THAT finally seemed to get Midwesterners from callin' the place "Las ANGLE-us" anymore and like half MY relatives did from INDIANA when they'd come out to go to Disneyland when I was a kid!!!) LOL

Well, if ANYONE would know about this at all Arturo, it would be you of course...a native of "Los Hangle-LEES"!!!! ;)

(...ME?!...well THIS native of that city is STILL glad Jack Webb started every Dragnet episode by saying: "This is the city..."Los AN-gel-us" California", 'cause thank god THAT finally seemed to get Midwesterners from callin' the place "Las ANGLE-us" anymore and like half MY relatives did from INDIANA when they'd come out to go to Disneyland when I was a kid!!!) LOL

Actually, a more close approximation of the Spanish pronunciation would be something like...."Lo-SAHNG-Heh-Less".

Actually, a more close approximation of the Spanish pronunciation would be something like...."Lo-SAHNG-Heh-Less".

HEY! Waddaya want here, Arturo! Remember...I'm a freakin' G RINGO here, dude!!!! LOL

(...thanks for the clarification on this, amigo) ;)

(...now can you believe this freakin' word filter around here first did this "****" when I typed out the word "g-r-i-n-g-o" and entered it???!!!!...I'm tellin' ya, THAT ****** thing's gotta GO!!!!) LOL

Edited by Dargo

I was so pleased to see this pop up on this month's schedule.  And I am glad to see that people are responding. I think that TCM gives short shrift to its Foreign Imports segment, and I would like to see them change the schedule, beef up promotion, and maybe even give Ben Mankiewicz a fellow host to discuss the films in the context of film history, as they do for The Essentials.  Why not shift Foreign Imports to a Monday night (or some other night, if anyone has a better suggestion), give more room for silents on Sunday, and push the hour back to some thing more reasonable, like eleven or midnight?  The audience would grow if TCM seeded the flowerbed. 

• Like 2

I was so pleased to see this pop up on this month's schedule.  And I am glad to see that people are responding. I think that TCM gives short shrift to its Foreign Imports segment, and I would like to see them change the schedule, beef up promotion, and maybe even give Ben Mankiewicz a fellow host to discuss the films in the context of film history, as they do for The Essentials.  Why not shift Foreign Imports to a Monday night (or some other night, if anyone has a better suggestion), give more room for silents on Sunday, and push the hour back to some thing more reasonable, like eleven or midnight?  The audience would grow if TCM seeded the flowerbed. 

While I like your suggestion and believe it has merit here macocael, I have a feelin' that you'll SOON hear from a few others around here with a "suggestion" of their own...and I'll bet it ain't gonna be what you'll think of as "the better" variety. ;)

(...btw...welcome to the boards!) 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings