Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Whaddya say?

Ever notice there are certain words people mispronounce?  I mean, just about EVERYbody.....and often the same words.

two of the most mispronounced are:

Asphalt:   Many people will say ASH-fault, which IS incorrect.

Sherbet:  Long a pet peeve of mine, but I've noticed even FOODIES, like MICHAEL SYMON on "The Chew" and others on The Food Network would often say, "SHER-bert".  Which too, is wrong. 

Then there's:

Horseradish:  How many of us, and I'll also plead guitly, more often than not say HORSH-RADISH?

My ex used to say stuff like, oh----MEER, instead of Mirror, which SHOULD be pronounced, "MEER-Oar!"

She'd also pronounce it, "Toe-let paper"  and I've also heard, "TALL-LET paper" from some.

Once, when discussing this sort of thing with others, a friend of mine who worked in a hardware store mentioned there were lots of folks who'd come in looking to buy an---"Stenshun chord" instead of an EXTENTION CHORD.  Also, "Light Ballbs" and not "Bulbs".

I know there are probably( or, rather---"prolly", or "prob'ly") others I'm overlooking, or haven't heard for some reason.  Have any of YOU?

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

What I do not understand is why most people here say: the Ukraine. They do not say: the England or the Switzerland or the Egypt. 

It is more perplexing to me because we do not have definite article: "the" in our language.

What I do not understand is why most people here say: the Ukraine. They do not say: the England or the Switzerland or the Egypt. 

It is more perplexing to me because we do not have definite article: "the" in our language.

Yeah, well speakin' of "England" here Sans, here's what I always wondered about...

If those who hail from Finland are called 'Finns", AND those who hail from Scotland are called "Scots", Then HOW COME those who hail from England ain't never been called 'ENGS"????

And Sepia old buddy, I must say that you were showing your propensity toward regionalism when you earlier suggested the following...

My ex used to say stuff like, oh----MEER, instead of Mirror, which SHOULD be pronounced, "MEER-Oar!"

...because I HOPE you remember that those who hail from New England(where the New Engs" live) prefer to pronounce those reflective devices that present to people their own image in reverse, as "meer-RAHS"!!!

(...and of course often referring to what they saw in those "meer-RAHS" as something they "sar"!) ;)

If those who hail from Finland are called 'Finns", AND those who hail from Scotland are called "Scots", Then HOW COME those who hail from England ain't never been called 'ENGS"????

Those from Canada would have to be called: Cans.

Those from Brazil would have to be called: Bras.

Those from Argentina would have to be called: Args.

Those from Antarctica would have to be called: Ants.

Those from United States of America would have to be called: Units.

• Like 1

Those from Canada would have to be called: Cans.

Those from Brazil would have to be called: Bras.

Those from Argentina would have to be called: Args.

Those from Antarctica would have to be called: Ants.

Those from United States of America would have to be called: Units.

LOL

Soooo, penguins would be called "ANTS"???

Yeah, gotta admit that COULD be quite confusing here, huh.

Never mind then. I'll guess I just have to continue to call those who hail from England: "The Superfluous U Users", huh.

(...though NOW where would that leave those "Cans" up there north of the 49th who do the same thing???...I'm SO confused now!!!)

Yeah, well speakin' of "England" here Sans, here's what I always wondered about...

And Sepia old buddy, I must say that you were showing your propensity toward regionalism when you earlier suggested the following...

...because I HOPE you remember that those who hail from New England(where the New Engs" live) prefer to pronounce those reflective devices that present to people their own image in reverse, as "meer-RAHS"!!!

(...and of course often referring to what they saw in those "meer-RAHS" as something they "sar"!) ;)

Nothing to do with regionalism, Darg.  The ex was born and raised in what, in these parts, we call the "downriver Detroit" area.  SOME of us call it "Downwind"!  As her SISTERS and brother DID pronounce them "Meer-or" and Toy-let", region obviously had nothing to do with it. 

And SANS, they are NOT mispronouncing UKRAINE, are they?  So, WHAT'S the relevance?

Sepiatone

Asphalt:   Many people will say ASH-fault, which IS incorrect.

Correct, it is pronounced...

tumblr_mamcnp3dEK1rbyvn6o1_500.jpg

San_Andreas_Fault_Aerial_View.gif

Explains why roads have cracks

img2.jpg

Could "the Ukraine" perhaps be a term that was used when Ukraine was part of the USSR?

...Just a theory...

I'll guess I just have to continue to call those who hail from England: "The Superfluous U Users", huh.

(...though NOW where would that leave those "Cans" up there north of the 49th who do the same thing???...I'm SO confused now!!!)

Maybe those bloody Americans are too lazy to use the letter "U".  What are you trying to do, put the poor guy out of a job?  Personally I would like to put the letter "G" out of a job. :P