Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cut Films

MCannady1

Hi!  I would like to take a moment to mention the perfidy of film-cutting.  Is is especially sad

that they have done this to some classic films.

Case in Point;  Great Expectations  '34 

In the early 80's I happened to be home from work one day and noticed that this film was on

a UHF channel.  I taped it as I watched.  Later when I was running out of tapes I sadly taped

over it thinking I could tape it again.  I was wrong!

When the film was on again I noticed certain scenes were cut  -  Valerie Hobson as Biddy the governess to Pip was missing, and also a scene or two with Miss Havisham.  In the credits we see her name now but not the actress.

When the film came out on video I purchased it believing the entire film would be there.  There it was with an attractive box, but the same scenes were cut.  Later my friend out of state called to tell me that the DVD had the same content!  

How could this have happened?  Certainly the reason was not commercials!  They narrowed the film down and it was missing vital content.  (AS a fan of Valerie Hobson I was very disappointed.  In fact, it was this film that got me watching all of her films later).   So this big travesty occurred in the 90's, I would guess.   (I am wondering if that was the only complete print I had seen in the 80's.  Is it possible? 

Does anyone have this version taped in the 80's and more than an hour and thirty-some minutes?  If so, it may be the entire film.

Sadly, Miss Hobson died around the time I was viewing the film with her scenes cut.  It is to be hoped she did not see that!  (I had read an article saying she enjoyed watching her 30's and 40's films.)   However, she is excellent as Estella in the 40's version and probably viewed that..

Sadly, a lot of films have been cut permanently  -  My friend in New York has seen a more complete version of The Chase  '44 with Robert Cummings and in This Gun for Hire.  In the 90's he had a TV station filming from Texas and it had these films in more complete format.

A bright note is The Mystery of Edwin Drood  1935.  When I first saw it the begnning scenes were cut.  It didn't show Claude Rains singing in the choir and some other scenes. (I didn't know they were cut at the time).   Later when I caught it on TV again - (maybe TCM) it was complete -  I discovered footage I had never seen before!  Valerie is great in it also.  So you never know with our wonderful classic films! 

It is an unsettling feeling that whoever they are they have no right to remove key scenes and probably do not appreciate them!   I would happily put up with commercials on TV if they ensured that the entire film was intact.

Reference to various sources (IMDB, Wikipedia, TCM Database) confirms Valerie Hobson's cut scenes, but never details the reason or the date of the cuts.  No cited version is longer than about 100 minutes.  It's surprising that in the 1980's a print with her scenes aired.  If the decision to delete her scenes was made on the part of the Higher-ups at Universal, I can only think what you saw was a print that accidentally escaped the cutting room shears.

• Like 1

It is an unsettling feeling that whoever they are they have no right to remove key scenes and probably do not appreciate them!   I would happily put up with commercials on TV if they ensured that the entire film was intact.

Put up with commercials? Commercials are the main reason movies are cut for television. I

WB are some of the worst offenders.  If they acquire rights to a picture like Horror of Dracula - you will see blatant cutting.  Originally 88m.  now it is 81m.  What is the 7 min.?  I saw the movie as a kid in 1959.

Peter Cushing stakes what he thinks is a young vampire.  She gradually thru photographic effects begins to turn old.  this last a minute or so.  Then she is old and dead.  One of the greatest scenes in any vampire movie totally ruined by WB.

Harker staking is also cut. 

Another WB atrocity is Peeping Tom.  The movie gathered dust for decades.  Finally it was shown.  The climactic scene where the hero kills a model is alot longer in the orignal movie than what WB is dishing out.  originally 109m.  WB 101m.  You will not see the WB logo.  Its says Anglo-Amalgamated. 

I did not see this as a kid.  That is because it was not shown.

So for thanksgiving let's pray to the gods @ WB and thank them for not destroying these movies completely.   :ph34r:

Ultimately, movies are a "product" and there are times where they will be cut, digitally altered, re-colored, pick something else manipulative . . .

There's a 1975 British musical I rather like:  THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP (aka:  "Mr. Quilp").  Stars Anthony Newley, Michael Hordern, David Warner, David Hemmings, Jill Bennett.  There's not many musical films I like because I generally don't like the music, but I enjoyed TOCS more than I thought I would.  Anyway, the 1979 U.S. Magnetic Video Corporation VHS release runs about 114 minutes.  I figure that is the full-length UK theatrical version.  The 1984 U.S. VHS from Embassy Home Entertainment runs only 91 minutes and I figure was the edited U.S. theatrical version.  There's a number of songs missing, including a song at the very beginning of the film.  Ugh!  

I really don't know if this movie has been released on DVD or Blu-Ray, but if it has watch out for the short version!  It's missing some 23 minutes of footage. 

Put up with commercials? Commercials are the main reason movies are cut for television. I

First the OP is 100% wrong with regards to 'they have no right to,,,'.   Legal permission must be granted before a film can be altered.  This was recently re-confirmed when video stores in Utah released 'moral' versions of movies are were sued by the Directors Guild.  The Directors Guild won.   These stores couldn't create their own 'version.

The owners of film will often grant premission to cut movies for various reasons.   The most common ones being to fit into a time slot (as you note),  or for content for over the air broadcast.     

When TCM says they show movies 'uncut' they mean that they don't show movie cut for the two reasons above,  but TCM may show a version that the studio released that if different than the original theartrical release.   e.g.  a pre-code movie that was re-released during the Production code era.   

There are also 'director's cut'.   Most of the time these cuts ADD scenes but sometimes they also remove content.

Ignoramce can be bliss, of course. If I've not seen a movie before, there's probably no way I can know if a scene has been cut and therefore won't be bothered.

But, if I know from experience that something is missing - it bothers me A LOT. TCM ran a censored print of 'The Owl and the Pussycat' (1970) which I remember fondly from its original run - and when the scene where Streisand confronts the guys in the car was cut out, I was very disappointed by that.

Ignoramce can be bliss, of course. If I've not seen a movie before, there's probably no way I can know if a scene has been cut and therefore won't be bothered.

But, if I know from experience that something is missing - it bothers me A LOT. TCM ran a censored print of 'The Owl and the Pussycat' (1970) which I rememberly fondly from its original run - and when the scene where Streisand confronts the guys in the car was cut out, I was very disappointed by that.

Same here: once I have seen scenes that were later 'cut' it bothers me a lot also.    But since I first started watching 'old' movies on the standard broadcast T.V.  many of the movies I saw were cut to fit a fixed time format.    So once TCM started in the late 90s I saw scenes I had never seen before.   That was cool.   

Cut for content or cut to fit a time slot,  or cut by the studio for various reasons;    All of them stink when one fondly remembers the original release.     

Two films I had been hoping to catch again on TCM were both shown recently in cut versions:  The Strawberry Statement, and Last Summer.  In the case of the first, TCM aired a broadcast TV print that had any objectionable dialogue muted, along with a brief shot of nudity excised.  For Last Summer, they screened the PG version and not the R original version (re-rated to R from the original X version).

What's so frustrating about situations like these is that TCM prides itself on it's high-falutin' claims of always showing films uncut and in their original versions...and then they repeatedly make these screw-ups time after time again.  In the case of Last Summer, they again showed the edited version after people had complained about the previous showing being the edited one.

Obviously quality control is lacking and not a priority for this network anymore.

• Like 1

Two films I had been hoping to catch again on TCM were both shown recently in cut versions:  The Strawberry Statement, and Last Summer.  In the case of the first, TCM aired a broadcast TV print that had any objectionable dialogue muted, along with a brief shot of nudity excised.  For Last Summer, they screened the PG version and not the R original version (re-rated to R from the original X version).

What's so frustrating about situations like these is that TCM prides itself on it's high-falutin' claims of always showing films uncut and in their original versions...and then they repeatedly make these screw-ups time after time again.  In the case of Last Summer, they again showed the edited version after people had complained about the previous showing being the edited one.

Obviously quality control is lacking and not a priority for this network anymore.

Note that when TCM says they show movies 'uncut' this is just marketing hype.    TCM like any station has to show the movies that they lease 'as is'.    The version TCM shows are official studio releases.    In that sense they are 'original'.    Studios often re-release films for various reasons; different markets, director cuts,  pre-codes re-released during the Production code era etc...   Sometimes different versions are released at the same time (e.g. a release for the south verses the rest of the country).  e.g. The two versions of The Big Sleep.   How about Mati Hari;   The 'original' pre-code version isn't available,  only the Production code one is.

In cases like this which one is the 'original'?   

My beef with TCM is that in their programming notes, as well as the intro, they should tell us what version they leased and therefore are going to show.  

• Like 1

I would like it if TCM was more stringent about getting the version that has had nothing cut from it. If they can't get it, either don't show it - or - publish it on the schedule with an asterisk to indicate that it is a version that has had content removed.

At least we know then to avoid it if we wish, rather than feeling disappointed by surprise.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi!  I originally posted a statement about cut films; namely, Great Expectations, '34.  It is true that other unkind cuts have occurred to our favorite films and it is best to be mindful of these. 

I started to remark that I would not mind commercials if we had the entire film intact, but no, this would not work out in the final analysis. .  It probably did apply to films aired before the 90's. 

I am glad to be alerted about The Old Curiousity Shop, '75.  I will be watching for a complete version.

The thing that bothered me is that some films are cut for no good reason. 

I am hoping for all of us to obtain the complete version of our favorite films!  Mine are mostly 30's and 40's, but I identify with everyone else who has been irritated by this problem.

• Like 1

Hi!  I originally posted a statement about cut films; namely, Great Expectations, '34.  It is true that other unkind cuts have occurred to our favorite films and it is best to be mindful of these. 

I started to remark that I would not mind commercials if we had the entire film intact, but no, this would not work out in the final analysis. .  It probably did apply to films aired before the 90's. 

I am glad to be alerted about The Old Curiousity Shop, '75.  I will be watching for a complete version.

The thing that bothered me is that some films are cut for no good reason. 

I am hoping for all of us to obtain the complete version of our favorite films!  Mine are mostly 30's and 40's, but I identify with everyone else who has been irritated by this problem.

Welcome back! I remember really liking the 1934 Great Expectations, which is lesser known than the 1946 version. I do remember thinking that Rafaela Ottiano (an actress whom I adore) was not quite right for the role of Mrs. Joe. I'm also a big fan of The Mystery of Edwin Drood and am glad that TCM finally screened in a couple of years ago, and then again. Btw, if you like Valerie Hobson (and I've posted this elsewhere) you may be interested to know that Andrew Lloyd Webber's most recent musical, Stephen Ward, which is about the 1963 Profumo scandal, includes Ms. Hobson as a character, as she was Mrs. Profumo. She had one of the best songs in the show:

• Like 1

I noticed that Last Summer was pulled the last time it was scheduled on TCM.  Co-incidence?

It's bad enough when a station cuts a movie to pieces, but what is worse is when there are different release versions to actually buy and unless you know the exact running time, you might get the expurgated version.

I found this out sadly when I bought a copy on dvd of "The Wicker Man" from 1973.This incredible film with Edward Woodward and the great Christopher Lee is often chopped up, with no noting of such on copies in print.

I finally got the longer version which is way more fascinating. I also own the original "Peeping Tom" and now think I will watch TCM's copy intensely to see if certain scenes are abridged.

Cutting up Dickens is just a travesty! Next time they will probably cut the scene of Mrs, Favisham [Havisham?] in her wedding gown and hoarder's room with wedding cake.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I am a big Valerie Hobson fan and was aware of the John Profumo scandal, as my daughter wrote a paper in the 90's for high school pertaining to it.  She raised her hand in class and said Valerie was a good actress; her mom loved her films!  

I too adore Rafaela Ottiano and have many films with her.  She is great in dramatic films, but I did feel she was miscast in

Great Expectations. 

I do love this version from 1934 too.    I hope to find someone who taped the film in the early 80's.  They may have gotten the

entire film. 

Thanks for posting the picture!

Some films lack continuity sometimes and perhaps they cut them cleverly and we do not notice this!  With The Mystery of Edwin Drood  1935 I had viewed it one time and taped it as it was shown on Movies Till Dawn, a local TV Channel.  Not long ago TCM, I believe, taped the film in its entirety and I viewed the first scenes that were integral to the film -- scenes that laid the groundwork for an eventual murder.  It is very sad indeed when period pieces are cut for no good reason.   Of course we are distressed when this occurs.

Not long ago I acquired The Chase  '44 (an excellent film noir) with Robert Cummings and Michele Morgan.  My friend called to say that a key scene that preceded the murder was cut.  Sadly, this was a double bill with another murder mystery on DVD (Bury Me Dead).  Of course it means that The Chase  '44 is sold with this scene totally absent from the film.  I had not known this in advance, but the continuity of the film was absent in this respect.  Later I obtained a copy of the novel by Cornell Woolrich which of course has this event in it --  in fact it was integral to the film and was important in a murder investigation! 

Now I have to wonder  --  Did they lose the important footage, or did they acquire the cut version and release it as an entire film?  (Maybe this was done heedlessly)! 

I'd like to know if this was possible to do!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings