Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is tcm missing the mark?

NipkowDisc

early monday mornings are silent time...but all I see on the monday schedule are joe e. brown comedies.
this is the problem. silents followed by joe e. brown. so? so...such fare tends to be black & white of course.
who is gonna be pulled in by this kinda fare? answer: no one.
dish is culling down what they are carrying.
some channels maybe have gotten too cute for their britches and are askin' for it.
how many times does it hafta be said? keep it mainstream.
this is why MOVIES! is doin' some cuttin'.
this is why me tv is doin' some cuttin'.
when you lose a healthy respect for what viewers want...
well sir...
they ain't a-gonna maybe like it so much. :)

• Like 1

early monday mornings are silent time...but all I see on the monday schedule are joe e. brown comedies.

this is the problem. silents followed by joe e. brown. so? so...such fare tends to be black & white of course.

some channels maybe have gotten too cute for their britches and are askin' for it.

well sir...

There you go again,  speaking for everyone like your the assigned leader of the group.   

See you say 'no one'.   Wrong again.  There are Joe E. Brown fans out there.    Just like there are people that think the Sci-Fi 50s movies you love are total crap.  

NipkowDisc, try Encore and the 30 other movie channels for the newer movies.

I doan what the new movies that = total garbage. just movies from the better more recent decades. the 50s, 60s and 70s.

seems to me that's what movies! is doin'.

tcm needs to get their minds right.

they're programming for america, not greenwich village.

:D

There you go again,  speaking for everyone like your the assigned leader of the group.   

See you say 'no one'.   Wrong again.  There are Joe E. Brown fans out there.    

I understand the OP's frustration. But yes, I am going to agree with james on this. The Joe E. Brown fans (and there are plenty) had to patiently wait for his films to be rescheduled. He was originally to be given a tribute back in July but was pre-empted because of the James Garner memorial tribute. During the past four months, they did not complain. 

I doan what the new movies that = total garbage. just movies from the better more recent decades. the 50s, 60s and 70s.

seems to me that's what movies! is doin'.

tcm needs to get their minds right.

they're programming for america, not greenwich village.

:D

Joe E. Brown movies are for the greenwich village crowd?    Now that is funny.    And you say TCM needs to get their mind right!

Unbelievable.  Oh, wait,  not really!

I understand the OP's frustration. But yes, I am going to agree with james on this. The Joe E. Brown fans (and there are plenty) had to patiently wait for his films to be rescheduled. He was originally on the schedule back in July but was pre-empted because of the James Garner memorial tribute. During the past four months, they did not complain. 

I'm not so much complaining about joe e. brown comedies, whether sound or silent. it's this continuing eclectic bent of tcm's.

joe e. brown comedies belong on early mondays in the am just like silents.

to be specific, silents and old comedies do not belong in the weekly afternoon or evening primetime hours.

I'm not so much complaining about joe e. brown comedies, whether sound or silent. it's this continuing eclectic bent of tcm's.

joe e. brown comedies belong on early mondays in the am just like silents.

to be specific, silents and old comedies do not belong in the weekly afternoon or evening primetime hours.

how about lawrence of arabia or gone with the wind at 4 or 5 in the morning? :lol:

well sir...

HEY, we agree! Wow, what garbage, JEB is possibly THE most annoying whateverheis on the planet. Couldn't turn him off fast enough. Like root canal and sharp sticks under the finger nails all at once.

Seriously, is there anyone who likes this idiot? P.U. :angry:

To take the middle position, the problem I have is when TCM shows hour after hour after hour after hour of just one genre, person, etc.  For example, multiple silent movies or multiple Joe E. Brown movies.  More diversity in programming!  Mix it up a little.

HEY, we agree! Wow, what garbage, JEB is possibly THE most annoying whateverheis on the planet. Couldn't turn him off fast enough. Like root canal and sharp sticks under the finger nails all at once.

Seriously, is there anyone who likes this idiot? P.U. :angry:

frank sinatra :)

How about Billy Wilder.   

Yes, but remember here James...apparently "Nobody's perfect"-ly happy with ANY of TCM's scheduling! ;)

(...and as I think we know, ND and primos are anything BUT "perfect", and just like the REST of us aren't!!!) 

TCM is eclectic in their programming and I am totally fine with it.  I am not much of a JEB fan either but I am completely fine with a day for him.  I watched bits and pieces.  TCM does a wonderful job of bringing something of everything and everybody for what is a broad education in/of classic movies.  If TCM is your whole life then you need to branch out a bit and relax.  Read a good book or two.  Poison the neighborhood cats.  Bake cookies.  Make evil grins in the mirror.  Sit in the corner and pout.  Pull the wings off of flies.  Lurk in dark alleys.  Take a nap on a railroad track.  Just do something other than whine about TCM programming.  Tomorrow is another day.  Next week is another week. 

TCM is eclectic in their programming and I am totally fine with it.  I am not much of a JEB fan either but I am completely fine with a day for him.  I watched bits and pieces.  TCM does a wonderful job of bringing something of everything and everybody for what is a broad education in/of classic movies.  If TCM is your whole life then you need to branch out a bit and relax.  Read a good book or two.  Poison the neighborhood cats.  Bake cookies.  Make evil grins in the mirror.  Sit in the corner and pout.  Pull the wings off of flies.  Lurk in dark alleys.  Take a nap on a railroad track.  Just do something other than whine about TCM programming.  Tomorrow is another day.  Next week is another week. 

BRAVO, rr!!! Well said, ol' boy!

(...but I'm pretty sure you completely lost primosprimos here with those 'suggestions" of animal cruelty as an "alternative activity", as I THINK our dissatisfied lady is QUITE the animal lover, ya know...THOUGH, not that she'd really be inclined to listen to what you've just said EVEN IF you hadn't included those things, of course!!!) LOL

BRAVO, rr!!! Well said, ol' boy!

(...but I'm pretty sure you completely lost primosprimos here with those 'suggestions" of animal cruelty as an "alternative activity", as I THINK our dissatisfied lady is QUITE the animal lover, ya know...THOUGH, not that she'd really be inclined to listen to what you've just said EVEN IF you hadn't included those things, of course!!!) LOL

Ok, ok, ok:  "feed" the neighborhood cats, "knit winter coats" for the flies.  My hearty apologies.  I like animals too and am especially looking forward to getting up close and personal with a turkey tomorrow.  No really, I love wildlife and spend lots of time birding and watching Colorado/Utah wildlife in general. 

Ok, ok, ok:  "feed" the neighborhood cats, "knit winter coats" for the flies.  My hearty apologies.  I like animals too and am especially looking forward to getting up close and personal with a turkey tomorrow.  No really, I love wildlife and spend lots of time birding and watching Colorado/Utah wildlife in general. 

Good try here, rr!

(...but like I said, I doubt Miss Primos will hear what you're sayin' here EVEN IF you now admit to volunteering at your local ASPCA Animal Shelter on Tuesdays and Wednesdays of each and every week, OR that ND will heed what you said even IF you ALSO now admit that you think John Wayne was by far THE greatest American who ever lived!!!) LOL

;)

I'll gladly take Joe E. Brown over Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Red Skelton, Howard Keel, Mickey Rooney, Esther Williams, Doris Day, singing cowboys, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lewis, and all of those technicolor travel shorts.  Get rid of all of the above and then start complaining about Joe E. Brown. :)

I agree:   what you said in that prior post was well said.   While JEB isn't my cup of tea either (a little goes a long way),  he was a fairly big star of the studio movie era and therefore 'deserves' his day on TCM by default.    I think some people just like to play the sourpuss at this forum but just for show.   (I hope that is the case because otherwise their life is kind of empty).

I'm also into birding.    Must be great to do that in your area.   I do get out to Utah about once a year.   As you well know a very unique and diverse landscape.

• Like 1

I'm also into birding.    Must be great to do that in your area.   I do get out to Utah about once a year.   As you well know a very unique and diverse landscape.

Funny, but my wife Judie is a "Bird Nerd" TOO James, and she's just now returned from her weekly Wednesday morning venture out there in the wilds of Sedona.

(...ME?!...sorry, but I've always been more the "big shaggy dog" sort'a guy and who needs some kind'a ball to chase around while exercising outdoors, and with Tennis filling the bill in this regard..."BALL?! Yeah, ME go GET!"...yeah, kind'a like that whole running gag "SQUIRREL!" thing in that terrific animated movie "UP"!) ;)

and all of those technicolor travel shorts.

I like the Traveltalks shorts.

Watch for Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City tonight at about 6:00 PM, which shows a shocking lack of traffic in New York. :)Around the Workd in California is another one that has an astonishing lack of traffic in LA, as well as the classic line, "Los Angeles has a population of several thousand Mexicans." :lol:

• Like 2

I like the Traveltalks shorts.

Watch for Mighty Manhattan, New York's Wonder City tonight at about 6:00 PM, which shows a shocking lack of traffic in New York. :)Around the Workd in California is another one that has an astonishing lack of traffic in LA, as well as the classic line, "Los Angeles has a population of several thousand Mexicans." :lol:

OR, as Mr. FitzPatrick put it: " 'Los ANGLE-lus' has a population of several thousand Mexicans"!!!

(...once again, THANK GOD Jack Webb started every freakin' Dragnet episode by saying, "This is the city, 'Los AN-gel-less' Califonia", 'cause I STILL say that it was HE who got the REST of America to FINALLY pronounce my old home town's name CORRECTLY!!!!) LOL

;)

(...once again, THANK GOD Jack Webb started every freakin' Dragnet episode by saying, "This is the city, 'Los AN-gel-less' Califonia", 'cause I STILL say that it was HE who got the REST of America to FINALLY pronounce my old home town's name CORRECTLY!!!!)

Shouldn't it be "Los An-HAY-lace"? :P

[ducking]

Most people don't care when a movie comes on they just look through the schedule  and DVR things they may be interested in and want to watch.

Here's my list...

This Is the Night (1932)

An affair is threatened to be exposed when a wife's husband returns from the Olympics.

DirFrank Tuttle Cast:  Lily Damita Charlie Ruggles Roland Young .

Through A Glass Darkly (1961)

A recently released mental patient becomes obsessed with her younger brother.

DirIngmar Bergman Cast:  Harriet Andersson ,Gunnar Björnstrand Max von Sydow .

Winter Light (1962)

A disillusioned priest copes with his loss of faith.

DirIngmar Bergman Cast:  Ingrid Thulin ,Gunnar Björnstrand Max von Sydow .

Silence, The (1964)

Two sisters deal with their tangled relationship while stranded in a war-torn city.

DirIngmar Bergman Cast:  Ingrid Thulin ,Gunnel Lindblom Jörgen Lindström .

Carry on Sergeant (1959)

A drill sergeant struggles to turn his last squad of draftees into a crack platoon.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  William Hartnell Bob Monkhouse Shirley Eaton .

Dreams (1955)

A businesswoman and a model work through the man problems that haunt their sleep.

DirIngmar Bergman Cast:  Harriet Andersson ,Eva Dahlbeck Gunnar Björnstrand .

Umberto D. (1952)

A retiree copes with the realities of old age.

DirVittorio De Sica Cast:  Carlo Battisti Maria Pia Casilio Lina Gennari .

Tess (1980)

A simple country girl is torn between the honest farmer who loves her and a corrupt nobleman.

DirRoman Polanski Cast:  John Collin Tony Church Nastassja Kinski . Tess (1980)

A simple country girl is torn between the honest farmer who loves her and a corrupt nobleman.

DirRoman Polanski Cast:  John Collin Tony Church Nastassja Kinski .

Eagle and the Hawk, The (1933)

RAF pilots fight to endure the nerve-wracking ordeal of flying in World War I.

DirStuart Walker Cast:  Fredric March Cary Grant Jack Oakie .

Carry On Nurse (1960)

Patients in a surgical ward rebel against the tyrannical head nurse.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Kenneth Connor ,Kenneth Williams Chalrles Hawtrey .

Carry on Teacher (1962)

Student try to sabotage a popular headmaster's plans to leave for another job.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Ted Ray Kenneth Connor Leslie Phillips . January 1st

Nanny, The (1965)

A disturbed young man tries to prove his nanny is out to kill him.

DirSeth Holt Cast:  Bette Davis Wendy CraigJill Bennett .

Strait-Jacket (1964)

Murder follows an axe murderer home when she's released from a mental hospital.

DirWilliam Castle Cast:  Joan Crawford Diane Baker Leif Erickson .

Carry on, Constable (1961)

A flu epidemic forces a police sergeant to take on four bumbling newcomers.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Sidney James Eric Barker Kenneth Connor .

Children Of Paradise (1945)

In 19th-Century Paris, four men with very different intentions court a sideshow performer.

DirMarcel Carne Cast:  Arletty Jean-Louis Barrault Marcel Herrand .

Hakuchi (1951)

A former mental patient's romantic involvements lead to tragedy.

DirAkira Kurosawa Cast:  Masayuki Mori ,Toshiro Mifune Setsuko Hara .

All Fall Down (1962)

A young drifter's romance with an older woman is threatened by his possessive mother.

DirJohn Frankenheimer Cast:  Eva Marie Saint ,Warren Beatty Karl Malden .

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

A soldier meets a woman on Christmas furlough from prison and they fall in love.

DirWilliam Dieterle Cast:  Ginger Rogers ,Joseph Cotten Shirley Temple .

Carry on Regardless (1963)

An employment agency places its bumbling workers in a series of unorthodox positions.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Sidney James ,Kenneth Connor Charles Hawtrey .

Contraband (1940)

While held up in a British port, a Danish sea captain tussles with German spies.

DirMichael Powell Cast:  Conrad Veidt Valerie Hobson Hay Petrie .

Carry On Cruising (1962)

Five incompetents replace the departed crew of a passenger ship.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Dilys Laye Liz Fraser Kenneth Connor .

Great Gatsby, The (1974)

A mysterious tycoon gets mixed up in a former love's tangled life.

DirJack Clayton Cast:  Robert Redford Mia Farrow Bruce Dern .

Mad Genius, The (1931)

A deranged ballet teacher will stop at nothing to keep control of his protegee.

DirMichael Curtiz Cast:  John Barrymore ,Marian Marsh Charles Butterworth .

Carry on Cabby (1963)

A taxi driver fights to save his line from a fleet of beautiful female cabbies.

DirGerald Thomas Cast:  Sidney James Hattie Jacques Kenneth Connor .

Magic Flute, The (1974)

A filmization of Mozart's opera about the kidnapping of the Queen's daughter.

DirIngmar Bergman Cast:  Josef Kostlinger ,Birgit Nordin Erik Saeden .

Love in the Afternoon (1957)

An aging American tycoon overcomes his inhibitions to court a young Parisian.

DirBilly Wilder Cast:  Gary Cooper Audrey Hepburn Maurice Chevalier .

Zazie Dans Le Metro (1960)

A little brat turns Paris upside down during a two-day visit with her uncle.

DirLouis Malle Cast:  Catherine Demongeot ,Philippe Noiret Hubert Deschamps .

Carnival of Sinners (1947)

A magic talisman grants a man whatever he wishes for, but after a year, he has to pay for it.

Fall Of The House Of Usher, The (1949)

An old friend tries to keep Roderick Usher from succumbing to the family curse.

DirIvan Barnett Cast:  Connie Goodwin Keith Lorraine Robert Wolard .

Angry Silence, The (1960)

A young factory worker stands alone against a proposed stroke.

DirGuy Green Cast:  Richard Attenborough ,Pier Angeli Michael Craig .

Ceremony, The (1963)

A convicted bank robber bargains with his wife's life to escape prison.

DirLaurence Harvey Cast:  Laurence Harvey ,Sarah Miles Robert Walker Jr. .

2/3/15

That Man From Rio (1964)

A pilot gets mixed up in an international search for stolen art.

DirPhilippe de Broca Cast:  Jean-Paul Belmondo Françoise Dorléac Jean Servais .

2/11

Four Musketeers, The (1975)

To maintain control of the French monarchy, Cardinal Richelieu kidnaps D¿Artagnan¿s true love.

DirRichard Lester Cast:  Oliver Reed Raquel Welch Richard Chamberlain .

2/17

Big Deal On Madonna Street (1958)

An inept criminal gang attempt to rob a pawnshop.

DirMario Monicelli Cast:  Vittorio Gassman ,Marcello Mastroianni Toto .

Z (1969)

A political assassination uncovers a hotbed of corruption.

DirCosta-Gavras Cast:  Yves Montand Jean-Louis Trintignant Jacques Perrin .

Emigrants, The (1971)

An impoverished farming couple decides to move from Sweden to the U.S. in the 19th century.

DirJan Troell Cast:  Max von Sydow Liv Ullmann Eddie Axberg .

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings