Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harmony Lane (1935)

Swithin

I found this film online. Never heard of it. It's Hollywood's first attempt at a biopic about Stephen Foster. I've only watched a few excerpts so far, but I plan to watch the whole movie -- it seems intriguing, with a fine, lyrical quality. Among other things, it has a rich, starring role for Douglass Montgomery.  And it has William Frawley in blackface, as Edwin Christy of the Christy Minstrels; and Hattie McDaniel in an uncredited role.

http://free-classic-movies.com/movies-03a/03a-1935-10-23-Harmony-Lane/index.php#.VHOheL6prFI

I think Harmony Lane is a very good movie.  I wanted to see it, as I like Douglass Montgomery who is so great in Mystery of Edwin Drood  1935  .  Anyway, it is good to see a film about the late

great Stephen Foster who died with just pennies in his pocket, though he was a millionaire in talent and a real romantic at heart!

I forgot to say that the co-stars (Evelyn Venable, etc.) were excellent too.  Hattie McDaniel enhanced every film she was in.  It is too bad she was uncredited here. 

Yes, it's a good film and the co-stars are great. It's very sad. I agree, Evelyn Venable is excellent!  There are other films about Foster, but I haven't seen them. However Harmony Lane has a quality that is very endearing as a film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings