Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GGGGerald

Watching certain movies at certain times

I didn't want to derail another thread. I thought this would work as its own thread.

I don't mean holidays per se. I mean some movies you only watch at night, or in the day. Or maybe when you're happy. Or only when you are sad and so on. 

Are there certain types  of movies you only will watch at certain times or in certain situations ?

It is a very silly thing to do but I most often play DVD of: The Bishop Misbehaves (1935) when doing thorough cleaning of bathroom. The television is in the bedroom so it is that I can hear the movie only. I have watched the movie perhaps three times in my life but I am sure that I have heard it in this way perhaps a hundred times. I do not know how I came to associate this movie with this action but it seems as if it is simply not right to do that cleaning when I can not hear the movie.

Y'know-----I never took such a thing into consideration.  Interesting question, though....

I know there are times, and it has to do more with time of day and how tired I am at the time, when I'll pass up opportunities to watch a particular movie or not. 

You know, like I don't make it a point to watch a comedy if I'm in a "down" mood in hopes it'll cheer me up or anything like that.  Usually, how much I like a particulr movie, and "when was the last time I watched that one?" is the only time I think of anything like that...

Sepiatone

I know TCM plays many older films in the morning. I can't really watch anything but, a comedy that time of day. I end up missing out on some films from time to time. Also, I am much busier during the day so I can't take time to really pay attention to them. And I can never watch a Noir unless its at night. And I tend to watch more noirs during the fall/winter because there is more night.

I guess I treat the classic films with more reverence. I want the setting to be just right so I can fully enjoy the show.

I didn't want to derail another thread. I thought this would work as its own thread.

I don't mean holidays per se. I mean some movies you only watch at night, or in the day. Or maybe when you're happy. Or only when you are sad and so on. 

Are there certain types  of movies you only will watch at certain times or in certain situations ?

Yes, I watch Love Is A Many Splendored Thing each year on the anniversary of an old boyfriend's death, he died in Vietnam. I don't know why it's that particular film, maybe because I knew the pain she felt when she heard he had died. It's just something I've always done in his memory.

• Like 2

I also usually watch film noir at night.  Film noir, for me, requires it to be dark outside and mostly inside.  I don't know why, but the darkness just enhances the mood of the film. 

Late summer evenings, when it's not quite so dark are good for movies featuring heavy romances or melodramas.  Something about the heat and dimmed lighting (but not dark) makes these films "work" more for me.

I can only watch the really cornball sci-fi films or crazy cult films like Rocky Horror Picture Show for example, really late at night. 

The mornings for me are times for ridiculous comedies. 

If I'm having a rough day, I'll usually watch some type of musical to "escape" for awhile.

I also am known to declare any time a time for an "Errol break" because I love that man so much that I will usually watch one (or more) of his films at least once a week. 

My DVR tends to get plugged up with films that I've recorded but haven't watched yet; because I can't decide if I'm in the mood for that type of film.  The Best Years of Our Lives sat on the DVR for months, because I could never decide I was in the mood for the story (or for a long film).  It somehow got deleted.  I'll have to record it again when it comes on.

The length of the film also plays a role.  If the film is over 2 hours long, I have to really decide I'm in the mood to watch the movie.  Probably why I haven't seen so many of the more famous long films.  Sue me, I have yet to see Gone With the Wind.  I just need a long, dreary rainy afternoon to dedicate to GWTW

Yes, this IS a good question here, I must admit.

Now, MY thing is that I NEVER watch the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog Day" on February 2nd...NEVER!!!

'Cause the LAST I did that, I woke up in a cold sweat the morning of February 3rd after having a nightmare that the lovely Andie MacDowell(does that woman ever AGE???) and I were at it hot and heavy when suddenly this HUMONGOUS woodchuck came out of NOWHERE and started gnawing on our private parts!!!

(...and so, do you BLAME me???) 

I just need a long, dreary rainy afternoon to dedicate to GWTW

Dim, rainy days are good for movies of an existential nature.

Jim Jarmusch's 'Dead Man' (1995) is a good example of what I mean.

Joel Coen's 'The Man Who Wasn't There' (2001) is another.

Not trying to spin this thread in an entirely different direction, but I think we ought to call THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE an ETHAN and Joel Coen film, despite what the credits may say. My understanding is the two brothers have always equally co-directed their movies, but the Directors Guild of America, in its infinite "wisdom", has always been adamantly opposed to more than one director being credited on a movie. The brothers grudgingly played along with this illusion for many years but finally gave the DGA an ultimatum: credit both of us, or we'll resign our memberships, and they got their way. I'm not sure what the first movie was where both brothers finally got credited.

I guess I don't watch certain movies at a certain time. An interesting topic, but I am ruled more by a schedule than my emotions. I cannot watch movies between 4 and 10 pm. I have other responsibilities. But if I had a nickel for every time TCM has aired a juicy one that I would love to watch at that time period, why, I'd be like Warren Buffet. I am a night owl and an insomniac, and TCM has shown a great variety that has entertained and enlightened me through the years, but then again there is always room for criticism. I am sick and tired of the theme nights on Friday and the asinine hosts. I am sick of the Essentials and want Miss Barrymore to apply her somewhat dubious talents elsewhere. I am sick and tired of "It Happened One Night"<----the most overrated movie since every one of Frank Capra's brainfarts hit the celluloid.....I want, I guess what I want is more variety. And please, let's not have a repeat of "La Cienega". That royally stunk.

I guess I don't watch certain movies at a certain time. An interesting topic, but I am ruled more by a schedule than my emotions. I cannot watch movies between 4 and 10 pm. I have other responsibilities. But if I had a nickel for every time TCM has aired a juicy one that I would love to watch at that time period, why, I'd be like Warren Buffet. I am a night owl and an insomniac, and TCM has shown a great variety that has entertained and enlightened me through the years, but then again there is always room for criticism. I am sick and tired of the theme nights on Friday and the asinine hosts. I am sick of the Essentials and want Miss Barrymore to apply her somewhat dubious talents elsewhere. I am sick and tired of "It Happened One Night"<----the most overrated movie since every one of Frank Capra's brainfarts hit the celluloid.....I want, I guess what I want is more variety. And please, let's not have a repeat of "La Cienega". That royally stunk.

Watching movies at certain times.

I used to, back in the dinosaur age, before I became jaded and had access to any movie I wanted at any time, via tapes and then DVDs. My mother and I used to stay up on Christmas Eve to watch the one, the only Scrooge worth watching, Alastair Sim's A Christmas Carol. Ditto on the Easter showing of The Wizard Of Oz.

Now, I don't watch nuthin at no particular time never nohow. Oh yeah, technology has (sarcasm on) made life sooooooooooooooo much better (sarcasm off).

As to TCM, Gladys, it's an afterthought for me now. TCM ain't what she used to be. Yesterday was tripe, today is forgettable. But hey, I save on wear and tear on my teevee, right? :D

Primo, as Thanksgiving approaches, I'd like to chime in with a "factoid" about that version of "Scrooge".

Back in the 1960's, every Thanksgiving was taken up with a broadcast here in the Metro detroit area of the J.L.HUDSON'S Thanksgiving Day parade.   And afterwards, there'd be the usual TV fare-----A showing of a short called "The Red Ballooon".  THEN they'd show "Miracle on 34th Street".  MAYBE "It's A Wonderful Life" after THAT, but ONE year, they started showing this OLD looking "Christmas Carol" movie( which actually was NO OLDER than ME) starring some guy I never heard of named ALISTAIR SIM.  I was intrigued because....

1.  There was, at the time, a popular chain of men's clothing stores named SIM'S, and I'd wonder at that.

2.  At first glance, it looked to have been actually SHOT back in the 1830's, although I knew it wasn't possible, and knew little of the art of cinematography at the time( I WAS only 15 at the time).

Now, of course, there are NO Christmas movie offerings after the parades anymore...J.L.HUDSON'S, the long time Detroit Department store chain has long ago gone belly up.  But Sim's "Scrooge" is STILL a Thanksgiving tradition in MY house!

Sepiatone