Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be March's SOTM?

Probably a week from now, we will have the 411-- but I doubt it will be Susan Hayward or George Sanders. 

By the way, there are some big name movie stars turning 100 next year:

Ann Sheridan...in February, pushed aside because of 31 days of Oscar

Zero Mostel...in February

Eddie Bracken...also February

Anthony Quinn...in April-- could be SOTM in April

Alice Faye...in May-- but not enough films are in the Turner Library, maybe SUTS?

Orson Welles...in May-- could be SOTM in May

Ingrid Bergman...in August-- count on her to get a SUTS day, or else SOTM in September

Frank Sinatra...in December-- definitely count on him to be SOTM at that time

Here are a few educated guesses

Walter Matthau is a very likely candidate. In late December TCM will be showing FAIL-SAFE (1964). THE ODD COUPLE (1968), CHARADE (1963), CALIFORNIA SUITE (1978), PLAZA SUITE (1971), and THE SUNSHINE BOYS (1975) all show up in January. It's been some time since we last saw THE ODD COUPLE and CHARADE, so I predict TCM plans to do something more with them. At the very least Matthau is a safe bet for SUTS.

Gregory Peck is another possible candidate, although he's got a better chance in April, when his birthday falls. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT (1947) and THE YEARLING (1946) will both air this coming weekend. THE GUNS OF NAVARONE airs in mid December. THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) will premiere on TCM in late December (repeat to follow in February). TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) airs in January.

Conversely, they may go with Bette Davis as the SOTM in March. Very few (if any) of her films are airing during 31 Days of Oscar, which seems most unusual. Perhaps TCM is holding off on her films because they plan on inundating us with Davis movies after the conclusion of the Oscar month.

And then of course there is the possibility that all of our guesses will be wrong and we'll be pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised by the selection.

Here are a few educated guesses

Walter Matthau is a very likely candidate. In late December TCM will be showing FAIL-SAFE (1964). THE ODD COUPLE (1968), CHARADE (1963), CALIFORNIA SUITE (1978), PLAZA SUITE (1971), and THE SUNSHINE BOYS (1975) all show up in January. It's been some time since we last saw THE ODD COUPLE and CHARADE, so I predict TCM plans to do something more with them. At the very least Matthau is a safe bet for SUTS.

Gregory Peck is another possible candidate, although he's got a better chance in April, when his birthday falls. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT (1947) and THE YEARLING (1946) will both air this coming weekend. THE GUNS OF NAVARONE airs in mid December. THE GUNFIGHTER (1950) will premiere on TCM in late December (repeat to follow in February). TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962) airs in January.

Conversely, they may go with Bette Davis as the SOTM in March. Very few (if any) of her films are airing during 31 Days of Oscar, which seems most unusual. Perhaps TCM is holding off on her films because they plan on inundating us with Davis movies after the conclusion of the Oscar month.

And then of course there is the possibility that all of our guesses will be wrong and we'll be pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised by the selection.

I think it will be a repeat, since they are due for one. LOL Plus, they have 'newcomer' Redford in January with all those more recent films. 

It should be Ann Sheridan because February is her 100th birthday.  Be great to see being honored for her great work.

I agree-- it should be Ann Sheridan. But what it should be and what it may be are often two different things.

• Like 3

Perhaps they could do a month honoring oscar winners who didn't make enough movies to be a star of the month.  I'd suggest Emil Jannings, Luise Rainer, Grace Kelly and Paul Scofield.

Hey! Now, I LIKE this idea here, skimpole! That might be a nice change of pace for this series, indeed!

Now, the ONLY problem I could possibly see with it is that after viewing such a thing, I MIGHT wake up the next day thinking I had just watched some movie about a respected German professor who's driven mad with desire and to degradation by a Chinese peasant woman often plagued by locust, BUT through the help of a good American country girl he then meets and who leads him to a British nobleman available for consultation during all seasons, eventually finds salvation and peace of mind and learns to soon forget that Chinese peasant woman, BUT who then gets beheaded for his troubles anyway.

(...just kiddin' of course...I really did like your suggestion here)

It should be Ann Sheridan because February is her 100th birthday.  Be great to see being honored for her great work.

If Sheridan is honored in March, then April should go to Jack Nicholson, who will turn 78 on the 22nd of the month. A Nicholson retrospective would be a nice follow up to the one for Robert Redford in January.

• Like 1

Probably a week from now, we will have the 411-- but I doubt it will be Susan Hayward or George Sanders. 

By the way, there are some big name movie stars turning 100 next year:

Ann Sheridan...in February, pushed aside because of 31 days of Oscar

Zero Mostel...in February

Eddie Bracken...also February

Anthony Quinn...in April-- could be SOTM in April

Alice Faye...in May-- but not enough films are in the Turner Library, maybe SUTS?

Orson Welles...in May-- could be SOTM in May

Ingrid Bergman...in August-- count on her to get a SUTS day, or else SOTM in September

Frank Sinatra...in December-- definitely count on him to be SOTM at that time

Wheeler & Woolsey

Wheeler & Woolsey

Hi Prince,

I think Wheeler & Woolsey would be a good choice for SUTS. All their films (made at RKO) are in the Turner Library. So it would be easy for the programmers to piece together a salute for them.

First of all, thank you for reading this post and showing interest in this thread. I sincerely appreciate that and hope you are having a most wonderful day.

We are already one week into December, and we have not heard any information about who will be the Star of the Month on TCM in the month of March. Usually, by now, we know...

If you are new to TCM and the message boards, I will say this-- usually, they pick a household name to be SOTM in March. After showing more recent classics during the 31 Days of Oscar, they tend to return to basics and feature a person who was a well-known celebrity during the 1930s and 1940s. 

If they do a repeat with someone who has been SOTM before and someone with many films in the Turner Library, I would prefer Ann Sothern-- because then we would see a lot of the great B films she made at RKO and MGM. And if you ask me, Ann Sothern was one of the brightest talents to flourish during the Hollywood studio system. She could do it all-- act, sing, dance (and she wrote music too). She was quite successful in many genres and does not get the credit she deserves.

So...who do you think they will choose?

I agree that the SOTM for March will probably someone with a lot of films in the Turner library, and possibly -- though not necessarily -- someone who was active in the silent/pre-code era. This will compensate for the more recent films in the second half of 31 Days of Oscar and the Robert Redford and Neil Simon films in January.

I disagree that it will necessarily be a repeat SOTM, however. A look at Stars of the Month over the last three years reveals two first-time honorees in March (Karl Malden in 2012; Mary Astor in 2014). Judging by those selections, it may be that we will be pleasantly surprised by the selection for March. At any rate, we'll almost certainly have access to the March schedule sometime in the coming week.

I agree that the SOTM for March will probably someone with a lot of films in the Turner library, and possibly -- though not necessarily -- someone who was active in the silent/pre-code era. This will compensate for the more recent films in the second half of 31 Days of Oscar and the Robert Redford and Neil Simon films in January.

I hope they don't go with someone who has a lot of pre-codes. We had a month long of Fridays recently devoted to pre-codes, and each month there is a smattering of them on TCM. I would almost prefer they feature a musical star in March. Or even a Brit. Someone good and not too obvious.

I hope they don't go with someone who has a lot of pre-codes. We had a month long of Fridays recently devoted to pre-codes, and each month there is a smattering of them on TCM. I would almost prefer they feature a musical star in March. Or even a Brit. Someone good and not too obvious.

George Sanders, Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, or some other first rate non-pre-code dramatic actor would fit that description, and they've yet to be SOTM.  And Sanders is even a Brit.  But give the musicals a rest---a long rest.

George Sanders, Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, or some other first rate non-pre-code dramatic actor would fit that description, and they've yet to be SOTM.  And Sanders is even a Brit.  But give the musicals a rest---a long rest.

I don't see them honoring Sanders unless they can build one of the evenings around ALL ABOUT EVE (his Oscar performance). Presently, that film is airing exclusively on RetroPlex. Also, TCM tends to lease those kinds of films from Fox if they can get them for three or four airings. So my guess is that it would be used for the 31 Days of Oscar, and probably also the Essentials, then reappear for a Sanders tribute. Since it is not on February's schedule, I doubt it's coming to TCM anytime soon.

A Hayward tribute should be the easiest of the three to do.

First of all, thank you for reading this post and showing interest in this thread. I sincerely appreciate that and hope you are having a most wonderful day.

We are already one week into December, and we have not heard any information about who will be the Star of the Month on TCM in the month of March. Usually, by now, we know...

If you are new to TCM and the message boards, I will say this-- usually, they pick a household name to be SOTM in March. After showing more recent classics during the 31 Days of Oscar, they tend to return to basics and feature a person who was a well-known celebrity during the 1930s and 1940s. 

If they do a repeat with someone who has been SOTM before and someone with many films in the Turner Library, I would prefer Ann Sothern-- because then we would see a lot of the great B films she made at RKO and MGM. And if you ask me, Ann Sothern was one of the brightest talents to flourish during the Hollywood studio system. She could do it all-- act, sing, dance (and she wrote music too). She was quite successful in many genres and does not get the credit she deserves.

So...who do you think they will choose?

It did, indeed, turn out to be Ann Sothern.

So pleased! Thank you TCM!