Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Makeover Movie, 1950s Paris?

daizeygrrl

For the last 20 years, I have been trying to find a movie that I remember vaguely watching on TV as a kid. It was from the late 50's or early 60's, I believe, and possibly set in Paris.

What I remember most is a scene from an Elizabeth Arden Red Door salon where they give a frumpy secretary-type a makeover in grand 60's style. And the girl then lives a double-life, as the attactive jetsetter alter ego and as her Plain Jane self, and of course gets the man.

Anyone know what this was? I had thought perhaps it was "A New Kind of Love", but re-watched it, and that scene was not in it.

This sounds vaguely familiar to me. I remember it as being in London, though (although I could be wrong). I can’t recall any of the actresses or actors, but I’ll see if I can put the pieces together and figure it out.

Educating Rita (1983) springs to mind, but that doesn’t quite fit your description.

• 1 year later...

For the last 20 years, I have been trying to find a movie that I remember vaguely watching on TV as a kid. It was from the late 50's or early 60's, I believe, and possibly set in Paris.

What I remember most is a scene from an Elizabeth Arden Red Door salon where they give a frumpy secretary-type a makeover in grand 60's style. And the girl then lives a double-life, as the attactive jetsetter alter ego and as her Plain Jane self, and of course gets the man.

Anyone know what this was? I had thought perhaps it was "A New Kind of Love", but re-watched it, and that scene was not in it.

I assume it was in color?

I assume it was in color?

Mine was definately in color, Here is a link to my Message Board post if you have any Ideas.You'll have to go to page 3 for my original post  : http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53061-movie-clip-help/

, They also told me A new kind of love and Funny Face but it was neither.Its driving me crazy that I can't figure it out and I hope you figure yours out as well :D.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't in color, but it does fit your movie description.  Barbara Bel Geddes gets the makeover -- she goes to charm school and meets Robert Ryan / Smith Olring -- that's when she's the "model" -- but she also meets James Mason -- he's a doctor -- and here she is still her frumpy self.  She leads a double life for a little bit.  It's currently free on Amazon prime.  I loved it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040221/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_71

This isn't in color, but it does fit your movie description.  Barbara Bel Geddes gets the makeover -- she goes to charm school and meets Robert Ryan / Smith Olring -- that's when she's the "model" -- but she also meets James Mason -- he's a doctor -- and here she is still her frumpy self.  She leads a double life for a little bit.  It's currently free on Amazon prime.  I loved it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040221/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_71

Thank you for the suggestion,I really Apriciate all the suggestions I have been getting .It doesn't look like what I remember but I will watch it anyway because it looks like its going to be good :).

• 1 year later...

Could it be "A new kind of love " With Joanne Woodward ??. I was given that suggestion by someone in a post I made about the same kind of movie that I am looking for. Its not the movie I am looking for but It might be yours since it sounds like what your looking for . I hope you figure it out . :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings