Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
daizeygrrl

Makeover Movie, 1950s Paris?

For the last 20 years, I have been trying to find a movie that I remember vaguely watching on TV as a kid. It was from the late 50's or early 60's, I believe, and possibly set in Paris.

What I remember most is a scene from an Elizabeth Arden Red Door salon where they give a frumpy secretary-type a makeover in grand 60's style. And the girl then lives a double-life, as the attactive jetsetter alter ego and as her Plain Jane self, and of course gets the man.

Anyone know what this was? I had thought perhaps it was "A New Kind of Love", but re-watched it, and that scene was not in it.

This sounds vaguely familiar to me. I remember it as being in London, though (although I could be wrong). I can’t recall any of the actresses or actors, but I’ll see if I can put the pieces together and figure it out.

Educating Rita (1983) springs to mind, but that doesn’t quite fit your description.

After mulling this over a bit, I think the movie I vaguely recall is Georgy Girl (1966). Could this possibly be the movie you are trying to remember?

Oops, nevermind

Did you figure out your movie ??. if you did what is it because I am looking for the same kind of movie ,I made a post of my own about it if you'd like to check it out. So far I still can't figure mine out.

For the last 20 years, I have been trying to find a movie that I remember vaguely watching on TV as a kid. It was from the late 50's or early 60's, I believe, and possibly set in Paris.

What I remember most is a scene from an Elizabeth Arden Red Door salon where they give a frumpy secretary-type a makeover in grand 60's style. And the girl then lives a double-life, as the attactive jetsetter alter ego and as her Plain Jane self, and of course gets the man.

Anyone know what this was? I had thought perhaps it was "A New Kind of Love", but re-watched it, and that scene was not in it.

I assume it was in color?

I assume it was in color?

Mine was definately in color, Here is a link to my Message Board post if you have any Ideas.You'll have to go to page 3 for my original post  : http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53061-movie-clip-help/

, They also told me A new kind of love and Funny Face but it was neither.Its driving me crazy that I can't figure it out and I hope you figure yours out as well :D.

This isn't in color, but it does fit your movie description.  Barbara Bel Geddes gets the makeover -- she goes to charm school and meets Robert Ryan / Smith Olring -- that's when she's the "model" -- but she also meets James Mason -- he's a doctor -- and here she is still her frumpy self.  She leads a double life for a little bit.  It's currently free on Amazon prime.  I loved it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040221/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_71

This isn't in color, but it does fit your movie description.  Barbara Bel Geddes gets the makeover -- she goes to charm school and meets Robert Ryan / Smith Olring -- that's when she's the "model" -- but she also meets James Mason -- he's a doctor -- and here she is still her frumpy self.  She leads a double life for a little bit.  It's currently free on Amazon prime.  I loved it. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040221/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_71

Thank you for the suggestion,I really Apriciate all the suggestions I have been getting .It doesn't look like what I remember but I will watch it anyway because it looks like its going to be good :).

Could it be "A new kind of love " With Joanne Woodward ??. I was given that suggestion by someone in a post I made about the same kind of movie that I am looking for. Its not the movie I am looking for but It might be yours since it sounds like what your looking for . I hope you figure it out . :D

Ann-Margaret got a 60s make-over in Made in Paris​, but she wasn't 'frumpy' to start with, so it might not fit...