Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NEWS: Disney Pairs Up With Turner Classic Movies

Barton_Keyes

Vintage Disney animated shorts and feature-length films, documentaries and TV programs are coming to TCM next year, according to this report from today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/business/media/disney-pairs-up-with-turner-to-promote-shows-and-a-ride.html?_r=1

This is in return to TCM for helping the Disney theme parks retool the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

• Like 1

Vintage Disney animated shorts and feature-length films, documentaries and TV programs are coming to TCM next year, according to this report from today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/business/media/disney-pairs-up-with-turner-to-promote-shows-and-a-ride.html?_r=1

This is in return to TCM for helping the Disney theme parks retool the Great Movie Ride, a long-running attraction at Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

You know something Goofy will come out of it.

• Like 1

So if we have this big announcement today, then why is the schedule for the evening of December 21st still TBA...? Isn't that the night the first batch of Disney shorts and feature-length films is supposed to air, according to what's printed in Now Playing...?

Great news.  Those vintage Disney films have been previously available on those "Walt Disney Treasures" DVD sets but those discs have all gone out of print long ago.

They are on Ebay, 220+ Brand New. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.Xwalt+disney+treasures.TRS0&_nkw=walt+disney+treasures&_sacat=0

Those are from third-party sellers who had bought them when they were still in print.  As I said, Disney stopped making these discs long ago.  They used to cost only $30 when they first came out.  Now, some of them, like "Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volume 1", have sky-high prices.

Those are from third-party sellers who had bought them when they were still in print.  As I said, Disney stopped making these discs long ago.  They used to cost only $30 when they first came out.  Now, some of them, like "Mickey Mouse in Black and White Volume 1", have sky-high prices.

Lol, sky high prices have never stopped a serious collector.  You be surprised how much people are willing to pay!  Example, an Ocean Hopper radio that only was $17.00 goes as high as $500.00+ during bidding. :o

But the opposite happens, I got a NOS $1,000,00 item for $15.00  :)

Oh boy! I can't wait for TCM's showing of FANTASIA !

(...now now people...remember, you're MUCH older now than you were in the '60s and '70s, and so I advise you to watch this baby STRAIGHT this time, as that body of yours may NOT be "as conditioned" to "that stuff" as much as it was back in the day!!!) 

TCM would probably show "Song of the South" also.  If TCM can show "Birth of a Nation" and all the other non-PC stuff such as 30s musicals with minstrel numbers, etc., then it probably wouldn't mind showing "Song of the South".  Disney sees itself as too much of a family-oriented business to release the film on its own.  But having it shown on TCM is probably OK.  Of course, I want to see "Song of the South" for its historical significance (both positive and negative), not because I enjoy seeing distorted portrayal of slavery.

Lol, sky high prices have never stopped a serious collector.  You be surprised how much people are willing to pay!  Example, an Ocean Hopper radio that only was $17.00 goes as high as $500.00+ during bidding. :o

But the opposite happens, I got a NOS $1,000,00 item for $15.00  :)

Sky-high prices mean these discs are essentially unavailable to most people, that's my point.  Hence, this TCM-Disney deal is good news for many people.

TCM would probably show "Song of the South" also.  If TCM can show "Birth of a Nation" and all the other non-PC stuff such as 30s musicals with minstrel numbers, etc., then it probably wouldn't mind showing "Song of the South".  Disney sees itself as too much of a family-oriented business to release the film on its own.  But having it shown on TCM is probably OK.  Of course, I want to see "Song of the South" for its historical significance (both positive and negative), not because I enjoy seeing distorted portrayal of slavery.

Oh BOY! Here we go AGAIN!!!

(...and for the record here, I think your point is well taken, MM...AND, I got me a feelin' TopBilled probably thinks so TOO, doncha TB?!...though I really don't think you or anyone else here really needs to elaborate much more on THAT topic, huh!) ;)

(...and for the record here, I think your point is well taken, MM...AND, I got me a feelin' TopBilled probably thinks so TOO, doncha TB?!...though I really don't think you or anyone else here really needs to elaborate much more on THAT topic, huh!) ;)

I assume there is no way Disney would lease SOTS to TCM if Disney isn't willing to make it available as a DVD to USA consumers.

But I do agree with the prior post that SOTS is a movie TCM would be (or at least should be) willing to show as it relates to its historical value.

I assume there is no way Disney would lease SOTS to TCM if Disney isn't willing to make it available as a DVD to USA consumers.

But I do agree with the prior post that SOTS is a movie TCM would be (or at least should be) willing to show as it relates to its historical value.

Well James, the way in which I understand this whole thing is that Disney will probably only give TCM their catalog of films which they've already leased to another entity, and which the Disney Corp hasn't felt might hold some large future commercial value OR even "historical value" somewhere down the line. And if this turns out to be case and my impression an accurate one, I can see no manner in which they're going to give the films they re-release every few years to TCM to present, or probably one which due to its subject manner MIGHT be perceived by today's audiences as being detrimental to the Disney brand.

(...and thus the reason when I read about their old B&W cartoons being among those that WILL be shown on TCM, leading me to this thought)

It still depends on whether Disney would allow TCM to show it, because any release of this film, even on late night TV, would make headlines; you just know it would, because it is one of the least seen films ever.  Disney is too afraid to controversialize its brand name, as we know.

To Disney's credit, sometimes it acknowledges its past sins, albeit minimally.  On the Fantasia DVD (the old one from 2000), there is this text info that acknowledges the racially-insensitive characters in the Beethoven segment.  This info was also mentioned on the audio commentary of the Blu-ray edition a few years later.

It still depends on whether Disney would allow TCM to show it, because any release of this film, even on late night TV, would make headlines; you just know it would, because it is one of the least seen film ever.  Disney is too afraid to controversialize its brand name, as we know.

To Disney's credit, sometimes it acknowledges its past sins, albeit minimally.  On the Fantasia DVD (the old one from 2000), there is this text info that acknowledges the racially-insensitive characters in the Beethoven segment.  This info was also mentioned on the audio commentary of the Blu-ray edition a few years later.

Yep MM, I was previously aware of the "black centaur" character in the original cut of FANTASIA. I believe that its existence now lay on some cutting room floor somewhere and from all prints of this film.

And so, even IF TCM should somehow be allowed to show this film by the Disney people, there is probably no manner in which little "Sunflower" will ever be seen by the TCM viewing public.

(...and which I now hope does NOT entice someone to bring up TCM's avowed policy of always presenting "complete and uncut movies" and now begin to lament about that, as THAT would be something completely out of TCM's hands)

Carnac......Killed thread.

Ed McMahon......Killed thread

Carnac opens answer......TCM plays "Song of the South".

Carnac.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in a mischievous, trivial mood early this morning.

I'm thinking the first Disney movie TCM could air would be 'SUPERDAD' (1973).  HOGAN'S HEROES star and home-made sex film auteur Bob Crane stars as a harried father of a rebellious teenage daughter who takes up with a goofy artist named 'Klutch'.  Joe Flynn plays Crane's boss and Barbara Rush plays Crane's wife.  The movie took a beating in theaters and Bob Crane took a beating in Scottsdale in 1978.  He was 49.  Joe Flynn drowned in his swimming pool on July 19, 1974.  He was 49. 

(Bob Crane also appeared in another Disney film:  'GUS' (1976)). 

I like those old-time white clamshell cases with the artwork sealed inside Disney used back in the early days of homevideo.  They were cool.  I reckon I've got about 10 of them (including "Superdad").  I need to snag a few more of those like THE WILD COUNTRY, THE UGLY DACHSHUND, THE LOVE BUG, THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS, a few others. 

• Like 1

Eh, no surprise there....

Disney doesn't keep artists employed anymore, they don't create anything new-they just "partner" with other successful companies to further themselves as a "brand". 

Luckily, they have that stable of greats from the days Walt was still alive and Disney made outstanding art with their films.

This is in return to TCM for helping the Disney theme parks retool the Great Movie Ride

Yeah, because instead of exposing kids to GREAT MOVIES, they prefer to reduce it all to an amusement park ride.

icon_wall.gif

• Like 1

Eh, no surprise there....

Disney doesn't keep artists employed anymore, they don't create anything new-they just "partner" with other successful companies to further themselves as a "brand". 

Luckily, they have that stable of greats from the days Walt was still alive and Disney made outstanding art with their films.

This is in return to TCM for helping the Disney theme parks retool the Great Movie Ride

Yeah, because instead of exposing kids to GREAT MOVIES, they prefer to reduce it all to an amusement park ride.

icon_wall.gif

Wonder if it's possible to build a TCM Amusement Park, have themes like Bette Davis Insanity Ride.

tumblr_ljjs5whRTG1qeglz0o1_500.gif

• Like 1

I cannot believe that TCM is willing to go on and on about pre-code movies and all their sexist connotations and not be willing to show other movies. Fortunately for me I have the pre 2000 Fantasia and SOTS that you are able to purchase on Amazon UK if you have a no regions DVD.

While most everyone pans Fantasia I saw it in the theatre with my parents and from it I learned to love classical music. What with the Texaco Hour, the Metropolitan Opera over the radio and Victory at Sea I got caught up in classical music, who composed it, why it was composed it and who the legendary players were.

Classical music was more prevalent in my growing up years being the basics of many movies as well as commercials. Oops I got sidetracked...back to Fantasia.

And did they really take down the Song of the South thread..isn't that a violation of the first amendment??

I cannot believe that TCM is willing to go on and on about pre-code movies and all their sexist connotations and not be willing to show other movies. Fortunately for me I have the pre 2000 Fantasia and SOTS that you are able to purchase on Amazon UK if you have a no regions DVD.

While most everyone pans Fantasia I saw it in the theatre with my parents and from it I learned to love classical music. What with the Texaco Hour, the Metropolitan Opera over the radio and Victory at Sea I got caught up in classical music, who composed it, why it was composed it and who the legendary players were.

Classical music was more prevalent in my growing up years being the basics of many movies as well as commercials. Oops I got sidetracked...back to Fantasia.

And did they really take down the Song of the South thread..isn't that a violation of the first amendment??

I assume you're joking about the first amendment;  anyhow, companies have a legal right to control what speech is said at their forum.   

As for TCM not willing to show 'other movies';   Is this really the case?  That TCM can get access to 'other movies' but has made an actual decision to NOT get access to those movies for PC reasons?  

So far no one has been able to make such a point stick.    Instead TCM can't get access to certain movies because the owner of the rights to those movies refuse to grant access OR charge a price that doesn't fit TCM's budget.

Anyhow, I would like TCM to show all movies.    i.e. NOT to take a political stand either way.    If TCM feels some type of intro is necessary,  that I can accept (just keep it brief),  but show the movie!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings