Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any classic movies with riots in them?

MovieMadness

One of the best movies about race relations mid-century last century, is NO WAY OUT (1950).  Race-baiting psychopathic hood Richard Widmark eggs on his community, with the help of girlfriend/sister-in-law Linda Darnell, to start a race riot with the "Coloreds' over in Beaver Canal.  Quite harrowing, excellent drama. TCM plays it occasionally. 

• Like 2

And if you extend the definition of a "riot"  to include a "lynch mob" there are a lot of examples including THE OX BOW INCIDENT  (a film that I should be familiar with )   ;)

Why's THAT, Mr.R?

Did you once try to stop a mob from lynching Dana Andrews TOO???

(...lemme guess...they JUST wouldn't listen when you tried to tell 'em he really WAS in a lot better movies than just "Hot Rods to Hell", RIGHT?!) ;)

I'm sure there are quite a few one can list here. The first to come to my mind is FURY (1936) with Spencer Tracy wrongly accused of a murder. The townspeople storm the jail to get to him.

Fury is a very intense movie.    A more recent riot movie that comes to mind is Gangs of New York.   

I was thinking of the lynch mob in Fury too. Isn't there also one in They Won't Forget?

There are also a lot of prison riots, as in Caged or The Big House.

Or the food riots in SOylent Green that the authorities deal with by bulldozing the rioters.

There's also a riot over a beauty contest in Milos Forman's The Firemen's Ball, which is a really fun little movie.

And, least we forget all the "riots" around HERE whenever someone brings up the name of John Wayne OR Jane Fonda, folks!!!!

LOL

(...c'mon now, you HAVE to admit THIS ONE was funny, DONCHA???!!!...c'mon now, don't be shy about it...lemme see all those "likes" that should be comin' my way now!!!)

LOL

And, least we forget all the "riots" around HERE whenever someone brings up the name of John Wayne OR Jane Fonda, folks!!!!

LOL

(...c'mon now, you HAVE to admit THIS ONE was funny, DONCHA???!!!...c'mon now, don't be shy about it...lemme see all those "likes" that should be comin' my way now!!!)

LOL

C'mon now,  we already discuss Fury! 

If there is one movie that needs to be shown on TCM above all others, it's The Day of the Locust (1975), based on Nathanael West's 1939 novella. The finale/climax of the film is a terrifying riot outside the premiere of Cecil B. DeMille's The Buccaneer. 

Here's the riot:

I always enjoy "the angry mob with torches" in a movie, don't know if that counts as a riot. Many horror movies (even Bollywood horror) have the "angry mob" scene. Even METROPOLIS has an angry mob scene.

I always liked the relatively benign riot scene in PLEASANTVILLE (1998) where they ransack the soda shop in response to a mural of a nude!

Since our country is in a rioting mood, maybe movies with riots in them would calm everyone down, lol. Seriously, is this one topic that classic movies never covered? Maybe so.

How about a foreign film that said was to predict a riot.  "La Haine" (1995) TCM should consider this one for the Foreign Imports.

Review

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/dvdextras/2005/11/la_haine.html

Trailor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk77VrkxL88

LOL

C'mon now,  we already discuss Fury! 

Hmmmm...I've somehow missed the part in that movie where Spencer Tracy mentions John Wayne or Jane Fonda in it and that's why he's chased by that mob, James!

(...I guess I'll have to watch it again the next time TCM shows it, huh) ;)

I think it was Police Academy 6.

Definitely the kind of classic MovieMadness is referring to with this thread!

Hmmmm...shouldn't you have placed the word "Definitely" inside a couple of quotation marks here, dark??? ;)

(...and maybe the word "classic" TOO???)

You really think they're needed?

Well dark, all I can tell ya here is that I'VE learned(okay, maybe not) ya better be as clear and concise about the ACTUAL meaning of your text as you can,  'cause there ARE some folks around here who for whatever reason can't seem to "read between the lines" and will misinterpret your true meaning of it OR not quite comprehend the basic point of it, sometimes!

(...never noticed that before, have ya?!) ;)

Well not really a classic; but in The Simpsons Movie, the entire population of Springfield forms a mob and descends upon the Simpsons house after Homer pollutes the already horribly polluted Lake Springfield with pig waste, which causes the EPA to put a dome around Springfield to keep their filth contained. 

In Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Gaston leads a mob to the Beast's castle to kill him and capture Belle.  I think there's a similar type scene in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame where rioters bust down the doors of the Cathedral to look for Esmeralda and end up being pelted by Quasimodo with rocks, wood, anything he could get his hands on.

In Dodge City, a huge riot breaks out in the saloon.  I suppose it could be considered more of a brawl though...

I've read that the movie Blackboard Jungle when released, incited riots after screenings of the film.  This film has been cited as the beginnings of the teenage rebellion culture of the 1950s.

I have searched imdb.com with the keyword: "riot" and limiting dates from 1900 to 1966. 

The function returned one-hundred-and-four titles in a variety of genres.

HEY! I always thought doin' THAT sort'a thing was called "CHEATIN'" around here, Sans?!!!! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings