Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Haines and Gilbert

Guest dredagain

TCM is showing John Gilbert's 1929 silent film, Desert Nights, and the William Haines talkie, Way Out West.... both might be premieres. I've never seen either one. YAY

Desert Nights has been shown on TCM before but it was several years ago. I was fortunate to get a copy on VHS at the time. It is a brief film, running 62 minutes. It has an almost Todd Browning-ish quality to it with it's plot twists. It is about the robbery of a diamond mine. I won't include any spoilers, but I have to say it surprised me. There are also excellent special effects and the cinematography is evocative. The cast is basically a menage-a trois with John Gilbert, Ernest Torrence and Mary Nolan, who is surprisingly sexy in this. This was a pre-code film at a point in time when the "censors" were not too concerned about the content of silent films.

Roy

Desert Nights (I'm surprised I missed this if TCM has shown it before) will air Nov 20. I'm ebay bidding on another Gilbert silent--12 Miles Out--in which he stars with Joan Crawford. Should be fun. Mary Nolan was a famous "human ashtray" of her day.....

Way Out West--William Haines' "gay" western-- airs Oct 20.

I believe it's a debut for TCM although it was mentioned in the lousy AMC documentary on Haines. And Haines is one of my favorite silent stars--he's just wonderful in West Point, Brown of Harvard, Show People, etc.

Hi Alix---how you been? We used to post years ago (I was drednm)....

I finally broke down and started BUYING films... the only way to see them since no one shows them. Brown of Harvard is usually available on ebay.... Wonderful film with Haines, Jack Pickford, Mary Brian, Francis X. (Ralph) Bushman, Jr. Typical Haines formula that was so perfect for him in West Point, Tell It to the Marines, and even Show People.....

Excellent film and one of the biggest hits of 1926

Of course I remember you! Ah, for the good old days, when the silent & pre-Code threads were active. I think that was before they were buried in the "Genre Forums" section.

Are Haines films available from a studio release, or from a private collector? I have TELL IT TO THE MARINES, SHOW PEOPLE, and a couple of his early 30's films, but have looked and looked for BROWN OF HARVARD. I understand his WAY OUT WEST is being shown this fall, sometime.

Hi Alix.... yes West Out West is on the TCM schedule for Oct 20!!!

Brown of Harvrd (1926) was released as part of the "Masterpiece Critics Choice Collection" and is available on VHS for $15 on ebay (no I'm not a seller)....

It's one of Haines' best films, and I know you like Billy!!!!

I certainly do! I'll have to mosey on over to Ebay & see what I can rustle up.

Did you read the Haines biography that came out a few years back? I enjoyed it, and thought it was well written. I thought the bio on tv (AMC, maybe?) was cheesy, and didn't do his talent justice.

yes the AMC Haines documentary was cheesy and didn't do justice to William Haines. It also had little to do with the biography, which was quite good.

and don't forget TCM will finally show WAY OUT WEST in October

Don't you know I'll be taping that one! I have read, though, that it is more along the lines of a B-movie, and Haines talent was worthy of more.

Gosh, it'd be a treat for TCM to showcase his silents and some pre-Codes. I'd love to see BROWN OF HARVARD, and some of the others.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did you see WAY OUT WEST? I'm home sick today & I finally saw it. Not terrible like I expected. Haines was still a little over the edge, but I enjoyed it.

Polly Moran, as "Pansy" was wonderful, as she always was!

Any other comments? I was sort of surprised by of the gay humor in this. Like when Lilia Hyams thinks he's Pansy, and he says "I'm the wildest Pansy you'll ever meet."

Anyway, I enjoyed it as expected.

Yes Alix.....not a great film but still watchable for William Haines, Leila Hyams, and Polly Moran. It was the typical "Haines Formula" set in the West. Why is anyone's guess. I also noted that Osborne pronounced it LEE LA rather than LIE LA.... Any clue which way?

But then he always says FRAN CHOT rather than FRAN CHO Tone..... and one TCM announcer once said BEEB Daniels rather than what I always assumed was BEE BEE....

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's one thing when the TCM announcers fluff the pronunciations but Osborne ALWAYS says FRAN CHOT...... The LEE LAH thing was strange too for Leila Hyams..... but who knows.... I'm totally sure tho that she was NOT BEEB Daniels..... ugh

Another obscure pronunciation I know of is Anita Loos's last name, which is NOT pronounced "loose," but rhymes with "dose." I had that confirmed by her grandnephew when he recently stayed at the hotel where I work. It's an old Dutch name, he told me.

And his family has no good words for Anita's husband John Emerson . . .

Message was edited by:

coffeedan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I was finally able to login! Couldn't do it all yesterday.

Anyway, we should probably start a thread on the subject of proper pronunciation, don't know where though ...

Early Sunday AM I heard our esteemed host, Robert Osborne, pronounce Robert Donat's name as "Doe Gnat" when I'd always heard it pronounced "Doe Neigh". Not sure which is correct, or how one would know for sure after the person has died. Checking the old Academy Award tapes, if they were available, wouldn't work because you know that names are mispronounced ALL THE TIME on those shows (most recently, the whole Uma, Oprah, controversy started by David Letterman when he hosted the show). Perhaps the best would be the trailers released by the studios that are promoting their films and the actors in them.

Oh I LOVED Desert Nights. Jack Gilbert was a dream in that, very sexy, and Mary Nolan was scrumptiously beautiful. Ernest Torrence is a total trip, he had me giggling like crazy. My copy from TCM on DVD-R is excellent. Just wish TCM would come up with that little bit of missing footage. At one point the gun exchanges hands and you don't see how that was done - it's gone.

Jill

http://www.goldensilents.com

• 2 weeks later...

I thought "Way Out West" was pretty bad, myself, but it wasn't all Wm. Haines' fault. I have been hoping for years that TCM would show "Brown of Harvard." Perhaps the print has no suitable music score for television. I love the silent William Haines films. I thought he was particularly good in "Show People," but his sound films tend to agitate his wisecracking persona. He was good in "Navy Blue" also. Sound film certainly had a part in the downfall of both Haines and Gilbert, but only a small part.

• 2 weeks later...