Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Fake" 1953 ending???

JeanneCrain

Just finished viewing the movie "The Fake" 1953 except I don't know how the movie ended as the last few minutes were frozen on a scene of a vehicle followed by a partial commentary by Robert. 

Provider is DTV - did anyone else happen to experience the same frozen unknown ending?

Thanks

Hoping "The Fake" is re-aired soon.

Unfortunately, you are not alone.  I checked my recording off DirectTV and it is just as you described.  This may even have been a TCM premiere (definitely hasn't been shown in several years at least) so that makes it even more regrettable.  It's available to view at Amazon, but in a 71 minute version, not 80. 

Here's hoping TCM will re-air The Fake before too long.  Thanks for posting; it's really disappointing to watch until almost the very end only to have some glitch ruin the experience.

Mine was frozen too. I have DirectTV, and they can screw up transmission just as much as TCM, so I'm not ready to cast stones yet...but as they say in Plan 9 From Outer Space..."someone's responsible!"

Luckily I always check my captures of films on DVR before I waste a disc making a copy of them so at least I didn't waste one here...but regrettable as this film is rarely screened and not available on disc.

TCM deliberately froze it.  anybody wants it I got it off a previous taping.  pm me

So TCM wanted us to only see that car?   Yea,  that's the ticket!    Come on.

Anyhow, I'm hoping TCM shows the movie again since I was watching The Stange Love of Martha Ivers on a local college station at the same time!   

Appreciate the replies implying the unknown ending was due to technicalities beyond our control - can only hope for a re-airing to see how "The Fake" finishes - taking the time to watch a feature length movie only to have the last few minutes frozen in time leaving the conclusion unknown is evil : (

Appreciate the replies implying the unknown ending was due to technicalities beyond our control - can only hope for a re-airing to see how "The Fake" finishes - taking the time to watch a feature length movie only to have the last few minutes frozen in time leaving the conclusion unknown is evil : (

Yea the timing of the this;, leaving the conclusion unknown, was the worst part of it.   I was hoping TCM would resume the film at the cut but I guess that would of messed with the rest of their schedule or there were technical reasons they didn't do that.

TCM deliberately froze it. 

TCM would NOT do that.

There are dozens of technical reasons that could freeze an image.

When a signal is lost by a satellite, it is designed to freeze the last good frame, rather than broadcasting "snow" or "static".

A big thunderstorm or snow storm in Atlanta could cause an image freeze.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6821251_causes-freeze-frame-cable-tv_.html

Weather interference may cause trouble with your television reception. Snow or heavy rain can prevent your television from properly receiving the cable signals. During severe weather, your television screen may appear to freeze frame or become pixelated. Bad weather affects the signal's ability to successfully travel to your television set. Sometimes, the freeze frame only lasts for a few seconds, or several short freeze frames occur within a short period of time. This means the cable signal is reaching your television, but the bad weather is delaying it. When the weather clears up, the signal and thus your cable picture should return to its normal condition.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6821251_causes-freeze-frame-cable-tv_.html

TCM would NOT do that.

How do you know?  Were you there?  Somebody deliberately paused the movie - and I have no doubt about it.  It has to do with the content of THE FAKE.  About who THE FAKE is.  Other movies don't freeze.  I watch TCM all the time and there are no freezes on any movies.  All day every day.  I was thinking about this movie THE FAKE that something was going to go wrong.  I thought it was going to be bumped at the last minute.  So there is no need to "apologize" and post weather reports.  Its lame & embarrassing.  :lol:

meet fred c dobbs - nobody is allowed - on THIS board - to be more intelligent than him.  to be more clever than him.  I Admit it - I'm GUILTY of being smarter than a fool.  Now hurry up fred and report me to the mod.  Thats your great talent.

TCM would NOT do that.

How do you know?  Were you there?  Somebody deliberately paused the movie - and I have no doubt about it.  It has to do with the content of THE FAKE.  About who THE FAKE is.  Other movies don't freeze.  I watch TCM all the time and there are no freezes on any movies.  All day every day.  I was thinking about this movie THE FAKE that something was going to go wrong.  I thought it was going to be bumped at the last minute.  So there is no need to "apologize" and post weather reports.  Its lame & embarrassing.  :lol:

I just talked with my contacts at the NSA, and they said they played a joke on you and a couple of other people and froze the last several minutes of that film just to irritate you.

:)

I had the same experience last night!  The movie froze in the last ten minutes.  I can guess part of the ending with Dennis O'Keefe and Colleen Gray romance, but resolving the murder of Colleen's dad was not accomplished.  When a film freezes up it is very frustrating.

The last time it happened to me was High Barbaree in the last 20 minutes or so.  We don't find out if Bogey and June Allyson's characters got together or not. 

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and I guess I will be extra grateful for all the wonderful films that did not have that problem.

I am going to see if my friend who has a different cable was able to get the entire film.  If not, will have to wait.

All levity and annoyamce aside, let's look forward to the future TCM showings.  The Fake must have been a glitch at the block of time allotted to show the film. That is odd, as it seems there was plenty of time.  But who knows? 

I just remembered another one that was even worse! 

Seven Miles to Alcatraz.  During the last ten minutes of the film all we got was the voices and we see the program information flash on the screen.  This was about 2 years ago.  What is really odd is that it happened again last year!  Same film and same problem in the same spot.  (I got the whole thing when I called my friend who lives on the east coast).

As I once wrote in a wonderful classic film magazine, "It would be a dreary world were it not for TCM!"  (In other words, let us not blame TCM, but somehow the cable station must have messed up with the programming).   I will call them if it happens again.

I had the same experience last night!  The movie froze in the last ten minutes.  I can guess part of the ending with Dennis O'Keefe and Colleen Gray romance, but resolving the murder of Colleen's dad was not accomplished.  When a film freezes up it is very frustrating.

The last time it happened to me was High Barbaree in the last 20 minutes or so.  We don't find out if Bogey and June Allyson's characters got together or not. 

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and I guess I will be extra grateful for all the wonderful films that did not have that problem.

I am going to see if my friend who has a different cable was able to get the entire film.  If not, will have to wait.

High Barbaree?    The only Bogie \ Allyson movie I know is Battle Circus.

It seems as if the problem was across all providers, so the glitch was likely at TCM's end.  I've missed the endings of lots of programs due to rain fade at my end, but this is the first time for this.

TCM, please re-schedule this movie... and let us know about it in advance.

Dennis O'Keefe takes the real Leonardo Madonna & Child out of Hugh Williams panel and replaces it with a copy.  Then pours acid on the copy. 

Then there's those who don't seem to know any better.

I know people who thought both "The Lost Horizon" and Judy Garland's "A Star Is Born" were released to the theaters with those huge sections of "voice-over" those still shots.  "WHY?"  they'd ask, "Would a movie studio put a movie like that OUT?"

Now, I never saw the movie in question here, so for all I know, it could be the same kind of deal.  OR it could be that wonky sat. service.  I've never had anything remotely like that happen on MY cable service.  Not for a long time, anyway.  And it would affect ALL channels, not just one.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings