Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inappropriate scheduling choice

ArchieLeechJB

I was very disappointed in TCM for scheduling "Little Pioneer" on Thanksgiving morning.  This movie's ideas of colonization and genocide are regretably old-fashioned at any time, but on this particular holiday, especially in the midst of the tensions of Ferguson, they are horribly insensitive.

I love the riches of motion picture history offered by TCM, but this is one time when the historical interest offered by a program is overwhelmed by the repulsiveness of its content.

I think you're going to find many who disagree with you and show support towards TCM instead. One thing to keep in mind is that the schedules are created three months (or more) in advance. They had no idea the Ferguson situation would spiral out of control. And even if they did, they are not exactly making a stand one way or the other by including this film in their programming.

• Like 2

I think you're going to find many who disagree with you and show support towards TCM instead. One thing to keep in mind is that the schedules are created three months (or more) in advance. They had no idea the Ferguson situation would spiral out of control. And even if they did, they are not exactly making a stand one way or the other by including this film in their programming.

Gotta agree here. Thought it was a nice surprise, sort of a retooling of "Little Princess" to feature the cute Sybil Jason. Missed the start, so didn't know who was fighting who. As said, schedules are made up months in advance and so can't be judged by current events. Though can understand your feelings, no disrespect is ever intended by the showing of these historical old films.

http://nhonews.com/Main.asp?SectionID=74&SubSectionID=114&ArticleID=13141

12/7/2010 1:54:00 PM
Tuba City holds Thanksgiving dinner for community

On the Navajo Reservation:

TUBA CITY, Ariz. - The St Jude's Catholic Church, Supervisor Lena Fowler's office, and Tuba City Unified School District Superintendent Bill Higgins' office sponsored the annual Tuba City Community Thanksgiving Dinner.

Fowler and Higgins collaborated to make this a bigger event in order to feed more people.

Sister Mary from St. Jude's Parish stated that a soup kitchen is open the second and fourth Thursday of each month.

Last year 1,200 people were fed. This year, the hours were extended so more people could be fed at the Warrior Pavilion.

Sister Mary commented that many businesses and schools in the community were involved to make this year's event a success. She commented that there is a problem with food shortage around Tuba City that prompts them to provide food and have a soup kitchen.

13141a.jpg  

It was shown because Sybil Jason co starred with Shirley Temple in The Little Princess so it was very appropriate and a good follow up after the movie. TCM does this all the time with their shorts.

It was set during the first Boer War (1880-81) in South Africa between the Dutch settlers and the Brits and whats interesting about the short is that Hollywood sided with the Boers over the Brits. It was a typical Sybil short where she saves the day in the end. Not one off her best but still I'm glad I was able to record it and add it to my Sybil Jason collection. 

http://nhonews.com/Main.asp?SectionID=74&SubSectionID=114&ArticleID=13141

12/7/2010 1:54:00 PM

Tuba City holds Thanksgiving dinner for community

On the Navajo Reservation:

TUBA CITY, Ariz. - The St Jude's Catholic Church, Supervisor Lena Fowler's office, and Tuba City Unified School District Superintendent Bill Higgins' office sponsored the annual Tuba City Community Thanksgiving Dinner.

Fowler and Higgins collaborated to make this a bigger event in order to feed more people.

Sister Mary from St. Jude's Parish stated that a soup kitchen is open the second and fourth Thursday of each month.

Last year 1,200 people were fed. This year, the hours were extended so more people could be fed at the Warrior Pavilion.

Sister Mary commented that many businesses and schools in the community were involved to make this year's event a success. She commented that there is a problem with food shortage around Tuba City that prompts them to provide food and have a soup kitchen.

13141a.jpg  

Hmmmm...I'm surprised they call it "The Warriors Pavilion" and NOT the "The Redskins Pavilion", and just like their team sports nickname of their Red Mesa Redskins High School is called.

(...yep, THIS is TRUE folks..for once, I kid you NOT...so what's all this brouhaha about in D.C, again???)

• Like 1

I was very disappointed in TCM for scheduling "Little Pioneer" on Thanksgiving morning.  This movie's ideas of colonization and genocide are regretably old-fashioned at any time, but on this particular holiday, especially in the midst of the tensions of Ferguson, they are horribly insensitive.

I love the riches of motion picture history offered by TCM, but this is one time when the historical interest offered by a program is overwhelmed by the repulsiveness of its content.

When I saw the thread title, I figured they had scheduled something like REPULSION on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

When I saw the thread title, I figured they had scheduled something like REPULSION on Thanksgiving.

Yah, right? How annoying. The problem with this country is that people are always so bent out of shape. Why is the focus always on America? Those guys in Europe sailed around trading God-knows-what for how long for what...why is it always America? Furthermore, my ancestors didn't get here until after 1900, so how is all of this related to me? I am really sick of hearing about it. Just like if you join a nostalgia Facebook group for the 1960's and it's always the lunch counter and bus. Well, there were lots of people like my mom and dad (for example) that have fond memories from the lunch counter, are they not entitled to those memories because of some idiots down south? I'm really sick and tired of this racial stuff. Flame on.

• Like 1

Yah, right? How annoying. The problem with this country is that people are always so bent out of shape. Why is the focus always on America? Those guys in Europe sailed around trading God-knows-what for how long for what...why is it always America? Furthermore, my ancestors didn't get here until after 1900, so how is all of this related to me? I am really sick of hearing about it. Just like if you join a nostalgia Facebook group for the 1960's and it's always the lunch counter and bus. Well, there were lots of people like my mom and dad (for example) that have fond memories from the lunch counter, are they not entitled to those memories because of some idiots down south? I'm really sick and tired of this racial stuff. Flame on.

Nope, no flames. You are quite correct. You can't shout it out in the middle of Main Street, any Main Street, because people are oh-so-PC, but you are quite correct.

I was thinking what would have been the perfect scheduling choice for the evening a few days ago when the Ferguson grand jury decision was released.  If TCM was able to program 'on the fly' this is what I'd have recommended they air (it is a Tv film, but I think it's the perfect scheduling choice):

NIGHT THE CITY SCREAMED, The (1980-Tvm)  Linda Purl, Raymond Burr, Georg Sanford Brown, George DiCenzo.     

NIGHT THE CITY SCREAMED, The (1980-Tvm)  Linda Purl, Raymond Burr, Georg Sanford Brown, George DiCenzo.     

That Linda Purl was such a cutie, wasn't she. She was in a lot of made-for-tv movies in the early 80's, one of which was 'Women at West Point'. I developed a crush on her from that one.

She's still a very lovely woman, most recently seen as Pam Beasley's mom on 'The Office'.

I'm sick and tried of rants about being sick and tried.

• Like 1

Nope, no flames. You are quite correct. You can't shout it out in the middle of Main Street, any Main Street, because people are oh-so-PC, but you are quite correct.

SURE ya can, primos! One can STILL "shout out" whatEVER the hell they want in this country of ours, lady!

(...it's STILL just a matter of NOT gettin' your freakin' "feelings hurt" IF by what you "shout out" is sometimes viewed by others as being really really STUPID or EXTREMELY closed-minded, THAT'S all!!!)

SURE ya can, primos! One can STILL "shout out" whatEVER the hell they want in this country of ours, lady!

(...it's STILL just a matter of NOT gettin' your freakin' "feelings hurt" IF by what you "shout out" is sometimes viewed by others as being really really STUPID or EXTREMELY closed-minded, THAT'S all!!!)

And some people might even consider them to be fightin' words. One should always be conscious of that possibility.

And some people might even consider them to be fightin' words. One should always be conscious of that possibility.

Always a very wise thing to consider depending upon one's location and the others located within it at any one given time, to be sure dark.

(...as in, I personally always think twice before mentioning to a bunch of bikers at a bike bar that I THINK Harley-Davidson motorcycles are WAY overrated machines...yep, I'm smart that way, alright!) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings