Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who has the best voice...?

Of course if you want to get into great criminal and generally evil voices, let's not forget these classic characters:

Jack Lambert

Yeah, and I know a few Cincinnati Bengal and Cleveland Brown fans who always thought what Jack did to their Quarterbacks and Running Back was always "criminal" TOO!!! 

Yeah yeah Andy...I know you were talkin' about that actor with a face only a mother could love and who always played the hot-headed near psychopath type HERE...

jacklambert.jpg

...and NOT the old Pittsburgh Steelers great HERE...

jack-lambert.jpg

(...THOUGH...speakin' of "faces only a mother could love" here.......) LOL

James Mason had the most beautiful voice that I have ever heard.

"He spoke softly in a noisy world and yet, his voice will be remembered by millions who never knew him."

manderstoke, did you happen to catch an SNL skit of a few years back where now TCM host Bill Hader was doing one of his "Vincent Price Holiday Specials"(his Price isn't half bad, ya know) and SNL guest host, Jon Hamm of TV's "Mad Men", did a James Mason impression as one of "Vincent's guests"?

(...Hamm wasn't half bad in his impression either I thought)

They had faces and voices then.

Jean Arthur

Billie Burke

Mary Astor

Myrna Loy

Glynis Johns 

Lana Turner

Claudette Colbert

Doris Day

Greer Garson

Judith Anderson

George Sanders

Ronald Colman

James Mason

Richard Burton

Herbert Marshall

Marlon Brando

Robert Mitchum

Alec Baldwin

Bill Nighy

Humphrey Bogart

I love Barbara Stanwyck, but I guess I'm the only one who disliked her voice. Like Lucille Ball's, it grated on my nerves.

I agree with the other names mentioned (glad somebody mentioned Gregory Peck) and would also say that TIppi Hedren had a nice sound to her speaking voice. Walter Pidgeon was also easy on the ears. I'm probably overlooking someone, but can't think of anyone right now.

BLU

Yeah, and I know a few Cincinnati Bengal and Cleveland Brown fans who always thought what Jack did to their Quarterbacks and Running Back was always "criminal" TOO!!! 

Yeah yeah Andy...I know you were talkin' about that actor with a face only a mother could love and who always played the hot-headed near psychopath type HERE...

jacklambert.jpg

...and NOT the old Pittsburgh Steelers great HERE...

jack-lambert.jpg

(...THOUGH...speakin' of "faces only a mother could love" here.......) LOL

Funny, because I'd known about the Toothless Wonder of Three Rivers nearly 40 years before I realized that one of Hollywood's all time  s a d i s t  character actors shared his name.  Given their similar dispositions and given their age difference, it almost makes me wonder whether Steel City Jack was named after Movie Man Jack.

OTOH given that Movie Man Jack played a character named "The Claw" in Dick Tracy's dilemma, I wonder if that's where Ed "The Claw" Sprinkle of Da Bearss got his nickname.  He also clawed a few quarterbacks in his day.

c47d2a05414f2e5af73487a9ed707555e58ed56a

You talkin' to me?

You're NEVER going to settle as to WHOM has the "best" voice, as everybody seems to be content to chime in with some of their favorite voices.

Many listed do have distinctive voices, but that doesn't make them the best.  But many of us like those voices, and some of them irritate the CRAP out of some others, so who has the "best" voice is a matter of opinion, and therein lies the difficulty.

Especially at this time of year, there are movies in which some of the better liked voices band together in one movie!

For example, "Miracle on 34th Street" has a FEW....William Frawley, a distictive voice everybody fondly recalls from I LOVE LUCY.  THEN there's PERCY HELTON, who played many a loveable old coot on many TV shows and movies over the years.

Then of course, EDMUND GWENN!

A CHRISTMAS CAROL  also has a few.  Alistair Sim just scratches the surface!

Sepiatone

You're NEVER going to settle as to WHOM has the "best" voice, as everybody seems to be content to chime in with some of their favorite voices.

Many listed do have distinctive voices, but that doesn't make them the best.  But many of us like those voices, and some of them irritate the CRAP out of some others, so who has the "best" voice is a matter of opinion, and therein lies the difficulty.

Especially at this time of year, there are movies in which some of the better liked voices band together in one movie!

For example, "Miracle on 34th Street" has a FEW....William Frawley, a distictive voice everybody fondly recalls from I LOVE LUCY.  THEN there's PERCY HELTON, who played many a loveable old coot on many TV shows and movies over the years.

Then of course, EDMUND GWENN!

A CHRISTMAS CAROL  also has a few.  Alistair Sim just scratches the surface!

Sepiatone

Ronald Reagan actually had a good voice. It helped him become President.

Ronald Reagan actually had a good voice. It helped him become President.

"Well, there you go again, Jimmy"...err...I mean DGF!

(...yep, people always fall for "folksy", don't they?!) ;)

Well, "there you go again, Jimmy"...err...I mean DGF!

DGF is right about Reagan's voice helping him.   It clearly wasn't the actual words he said!     

(ok folks,  this is brought to you in the sprit of Dargo,    so don't take offense.  When a door is left that wide open I'm going to take it!).

(but those that are rattled get one free Jane Fonda retort to even the score!).

DGF is right about Reagan's voice helping him.   It clearly wasn't the actual words he said!     

(ok folks,  this is brough to you in the sprit of Dargo,    so don't take offense.  When a door is left that wide open I'm going to take it!).

Uh oh, I thought that conversation had "wayned!"  :)

(ok folks,  this is brough to you in the sprit of Dargo,    so don't take offense.  When a door is left that wide open I'm going to take it!).

Well FIRST here James, let me just say here that I've always thought of you as a "bro" TOO! ;)

And secondly, what say we DON'T offer anyone here who might be inclined to get upset at the drop of a hat by someone else kidding around about Ronnie here and by lettin' 'em do that. 'Cause personally I DON'T wanna see a return to what happened to poor Swithin's "John Huston" thread again.

(...and I'm SURE our illustrious Admin around here wouldn't like to see that EITHER!!! LOL ;)

I have to disagree on speedracer5's comments about Clara Bow. He/she stated that Clara Bow was one of those silent stars who couldn't make it in talkies due to her voice. There's no truth to this statement.

There are many reasons for why Clara quit films and none of them were due to her voice.

I apologize if I gave incorrect information.  I read a book about flappers last year and there was a section discussing Clara Bow, her voice and lack of education which was painfully obvious when she spoke.  I checked this book out from the library, so I do not have access to it right now to see what it was that I read. 

I apologize if I gave incorrect information.  I read a book about flappers last year and there was a section discussing Clara Bow, her voice and lack of education which was painfully obvious when she spoke.  I checked this book out from the library, so I do not have access to it right now to see what it was that I read. 

So, now I'M a bit confused here!

IS the idea that the character of Lina Lamont was based upon Clara true or NOT here, people???

(...'cause "I cain't stands" not knowin' stuff like this!!!) ;)

So, now I'M a bit confused here!

IS the idea that the character of Lina Lamont was based upon Clara true or NOT here, people???

(...'cause "I cain't stands" not knowin' stuff like this!!!) ;)

I hadn't heard that Lina Lamont was based on Clara.  I'm pretty sure I'm right about her voice and poor grammar; I think what midnight08 disagreed with my statement that her voice led to the demise of her career.  I thought I had read that in the Flapper book I referred to earlier; but I don't have access to the book right now to see what I read.

I could see Lina being based on Clara; or maybe she was a combination of different silent screen star personalities... but Lina was better than all of them because [she] makes more money than Calvin Coolidge, put together!

I hadn't heard that Lina Lamont was based on Clara.  I'm pretty sure I'm right about her voice and poor grammar; I think what midnight08 disagreed with my statement that her voice led to the demise of her career.  I thought I had read that in the Flapper book I referred to earlier; but I don't have access to the book right now to see what I read.

I could see Lina being based on Clara; or maybe she was a combination of different silent screen star personalities... but Lina was better than all of them because [she] makes more money than Calvin Coolidge, put together!

LOL

Loved your reply here, Speedy!

(...though for the record, I really had never heard the "Lina/Clara connection" before, and just made that up here to get a laugh...though I suppose there IS the possibly that this thought HAS been posited by someone else before now, of course)

• Like 1

As Central European accents go, I prefer Sig Ruman.

Yeah, I know what ya mean here, Swithin.

(...JUST don't see ol' Gustav here bein' quite was funny in his reactions to "my Bros' " antics as Siggy baby always was!)

LOL

Loved your reply here, Speedy!

(...though for the record, I really had never heard the "Lina/Clara connection" before, and just made that up here to get a laugh...though I suppose there IS the possibly that this thought HAS been posited by someone else before now, of course)

I thought Lina being based on Clara made sense, since I know that some of the other characters were based on real people in Hollywood.  I love Lina in Singin' in the Rain, her voice is hilariously awful.  Which is even better considering that Jean Hagen actually had a very nice speaking voice and singing voice as evidenced in the scene where Debbie Reynolds is lip syncing to Jean Hagen's singing voice.  Then Hagen ends up lip syncing to herself!

Judy Holliday's voice is similar to Lina's.  Except maybe not quite as shrill.  Apparently Holliday was originally wanted for Singin' in the Rain, but she suggested Hagen who had been her understudy for Born Yesterday on Broadway.  I first saw Holliday in Born Yesterday, and thought that her voice was one she was using specifically for that character, but it couldn't be her real voice I thought.  Then I saw It Should Happen to You, and she used the same voice and I decided that that must be her actual voice.  I'll admit that I found her voice a little annoying at first, but Judy has so much charm that she (and her voice) grows on you and I found that I liked her overall. 

• Like 1