Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who has the best voice...?

And here we are again.

In the midst of a thread trying to settle the question of the "best" something, when it's really all a matter of opinion.

You can't even settle it with a vote, because THAT will only be who's voice is considered the "best" among only those who bothered to vote.

Apparently, some voices find favor with some people, and possibly annoy the senses of others. 

I agree that most of the choices posted here over the life of this thread ARE good voices, but in my opinion, possibly NOT suitable for all applications.  There are a lot of voices that fall into this category.

I don't think either WALLACE BEERY or WALLY COX, both having distinctive voices, would be any good at narrating a "swashbukler" movie.

Nor would I wish to hear ED WYNN or "Cuddles" Sakall narrate "Lincoln Portrait"

But either would work for me if it were "Peter and The Wolf"

And lately, we're wandering into the realm of narration.  And someone mentioned Peter Coyote, who I have heard narrate a few different presentations, and he DOES have a good voice for it.

And remember all those Jaques Cousteau specials in the 1970's narrated by ROD SERLING?

And also notice, I in this post, and in my earlier ones in this thread, I made no mention of FEMALE voices!

Many of them, except perhaps for the aforementioned Ms. Maine, have distinctive voices.  Or distinctive enough to be that unique and discerning.

Maybe Glynis Johns.  Or MAE WEST. 

MARYLIN MONROE

ROSE MARIE

I'd have to give the ladies more thought.

(At one time or another, I had fantasies of "lincoln Portrait being narrated by either ROSCOE LEE BROWN or JAMES EARL JONES.  Or "Peter And The Wolf" narrated by either PAUL REUBENS as "Pee Wee Herman" or Fred "MR." Rogers).  Maybe both on the same recording!

Sepiatone

PS: I typed most of this out earlier, but when I tried to post it, something went wrong with my PC, and it was all lost.  I had to reboot and do it all over again, and I know I didn't get all the first try redone correctly.  Too bad!  you'd have LOVED it!

Hi Everybody!  I've been off the boards for a while although I've been keeping up with some of them (lurking?).  Best voices?  I love Herbert Marshall and Ronald Coleman - deep, rich voices and I can see how they were able to make the transition to talkies.  As for the women, I like Norma Shearer, Barbara Stanwyck and Myrna Loy.  Good topic!

• Like 1

Hi Everybody!  I've been off the boards for a while although I've been keeping up with some of them (lurking?).  Best voices?  I love Herbert Marshall and Ronald Coleman - deep, rich voices and I can see how they were able to make the transition to talkies.  As for the women, I like Norma Shearer, Barbara Stanwyck and Myrna Loy.  Good topic!

Thanks Christine for joining us for this discussion. Another one I wanted to mention-- Mercedes McCambridge. Very unique sounding woman. Great actress.

• Like 2

So many posters spell his name "Coleman". Uh-uh.

imgres.jpg

If I say the name Frank Nelson, do people know who that is? He was on a lot of TV shows in the 50s and 60s. His catchphrase was 'Yesssssssss?' and he had the coolest voice when he did that. I saw him in an uncredited part in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU this afternoon, and it made me think of how great he was.

imgres.jpg

If I say the name Frank Nelson, do people know who that is? He was on a lot of TV shows in the 50s and 60s. His catchphrase was 'Yesssssssss?' and he had the coolest voice when he did that. I saw him in an uncredited part in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU this afternoon, and it made me think of how great he was.

Frank Nelson is awesome! He appeared in all kinds of bit parts in I Love Lucy and later had a regular role in the last season as Ralph Ramsey, a neighbor of the Ricardos and Mertzes.

I've listened to all the Lux Radio Theaters that Errol Flynn performed in and Frank Nelson plays parts in a couple of those shows.  I can imagine that he probably performed in many radio shows. 

The waiter character in The Simpsons is based on Nelson.  He is the maitre d' at the local fancy restaurant in Springfield and greets everyone with "Eeeeeh-Y-e-e-e-es!"

147509.gif

• Like 1

Haven't read all of the posts so I'll be repeating some already said, but my personal top five is (no particular order)

Male:

Cary Grant

Gregory Peck

William Powell

Errol Flynn

Fred Astaire

I really don't have particular favorites for female but I do love Myrna Loy's voice

Frank Nelson is awesome! He appeared in all kinds of bit parts in I Love Lucy and later had a regular role in the last season as Ralph Ramsey, a neighbor of the Ricardos and Mertzes.

I've listened to all the Lux Radio Theaters that Errol Flynn performed in and Frank Nelson plays parts in a couple of those shows.  I can imagine that he probably performed in many radio shows. 

The waiter character in The Simpsons is based on Nelson.  He is the maitre d' at the local fancy restaurant in Springfield and greets everyone with "Eeeeeh-Y-e-e-e-es!"

147509.gif

Yes, that is the ultimate tribute-- having a character created in your honor on The Simpsons. I like how the picture you posted matches the one I posted!  From what I read, Nelson did a lot of voice-over work on radio and cartoons. He did characters on Garfield and The Jetsons. He was also a semi-regular on Jack Benny's program.

OOPS!  You're right, DownGoesFrazier!  Shame on me; I  should have checked.  It is "Colman" but either way I really like his voice.  Also like Robert Mitchum's voice a lot - I like deep voices. 

Again, another incentive for me to start smoking.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned William Holden?   That's the first voice I thought of.....so sexy sounding.

Yep, I did early-on in this thread ncff1, 'cause I agree that his voice was a noteworthy one.

(...and I ALSO think that his last girlfriend was/is pretty darn sexy TOO...but I think everyone around here by now knows I think this!) ;)

Yep, I did early-on in this thread ncff1, 'cause I agree that his voice was a noteworthy one.

(...and I ALSO think that his last girlfriend was/is pretty darn sexy TOO...but I think everyone around here by now knows I think this!) ;)

Stefanie Powers has a great voice, too!

And since we're on the subject of her, how about her costar from Hart to Hart, Lionel Stander-- great, distinctive sound he had.

• 1 month later...

Walter Pidgeon.  I get a chuckle out of all the subtle well-tempered expression in his speaking voice, like in Weekend At The Waldorf when he is wooing Ginger Rogers, or when he is the perfect Diplomat in Holiday In Mexico, or when he is giving the United Planets crew a demonstration of Robbie The Robot and later the grand tour of the giant Krell machine in Forbidden Planet.