Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who has the best voice...?

I very much like Robert Vaughn's voice. He voiced the computer 'Proteus' in the sci-fi thriller 'Demon Seed' (1977). I've always found that his voice sounds extra-intelligent while being oddly sedative, so that casting seemed quite adroit to me.

• Like 1

With all the people mentioned, maybe it would be more efficient to have a thread, "Who Does Not Have the Best Voice"?

You're could be right that 'not a good voice' might be more interesting and lead to more disagreements about the quality of said voice.

E.g. Andy Devine.    Of course his voice is annoying but often it is used to good effect by the director.   Like in Liberty Valance;  his voice lacks authority and that fits the character or in Torrid Zone in his interactions with Cagney (where Cagney is his boss and mostly yells his instructions while Devine provides a wimpy reply).

You're could be right that 'not a good voice' might be more interesting and lead to more disagreements about the quality of said voice.

E.g. Andy Devine.    Of course his voice is annoying but often it is used to good effect by the director.   Like in Liberty Valance;  his voice lacks authority and that fits the character or in Torrid Zone in his interactions with Cagney (where Cagney is his boss and mostly yells his instructions while Devine provides a wimpy reply).

Many of the top actors did not have resonant (or deep) voices. Stewart. Tracy. Fonda. March. Brando. Lancaster. Douglas. Astaire. Many more.

• 2 weeks later...

It's between Judy Holliday and Harvey Fierstein.

I dunno, dark. I've always thought Shelley Winters and Shirley Booth would give Judy a run for her money in this regard.

I find Butterfly McQueen, June Allyson and Peter Lawford's voices pretty irritating. 

Couldn't disagree more about June Allyson. Love her smoky, husky voice. One of the most distinct female sounds in classic film.

Julie London had a sexy smoky, husky voice. June Allyson did not.

Poor June Allyson. She has to be one of the most hated MGM contract players on the TCM boards, which seems unwarranted (unjust) to me.

Can't wait till TCM makes her SOTM again or she gets her next SUTS or birthday tribute.

Julie London had a sexy smoky, husky voice. June Allyson did not.

I would add that if one says JUNE ALLYSON had a "sexy, smoky, husky" voice, then the same should be said of ANDY DEVINE!

Sepiatone

I would add that if one says JUNE ALLYSON had a "sexy, smoky, husky" voice, then the same should be said of ANDY DEVINE!

Sepiatone

Yeah, ya know, come to think of it here Sepia, it really ISN'T all that hard to imagine June yelling "Hey, Wild Bill, wait for me!", is it?!!!

• Like 1

Sepiatone

Allyson had a sexy raspy voice. Devine's voice was closer in pitch to Joan Davis. And Joan Davis did not sound like June Allyson.

Poor June Allyson. She has to be one of the most hated MGM contract players on the TCM boards, which seems unwarranted (unjust) to me.

Can't wait till TCM makes her SOTM again or she gets her next SUTS or birthday tribute.

A man being sent to prison for 20 years for a crime he did not commit is "unjust". Not liking June Allyson is somewhat less of an outrage.

A man being sent to prison for 20 years for a crime he did not commit is "unjust". Not liking June Allyson is somewhat less of an outrage.

True. Still, I do not get the need to bash June Allyson. Unjust. Unfair. Whatever it is, I don't get it.

What it is, is freedom of speech under the First Amendment.

Yep, very good point, DGF!

In fact, word is that because June Allyson is Vladimir Putin's favorite actress ever, most Ruskies know better than to say out loud what you've been sayin' about the women here!

(...yep, ain't we lucky to be livin' in this great country of ours?!!!)

Yep, very good point, DGF!

In fact, word is that because June Allyson is Vladimir Putin's favorite actress ever, most Ruskies know better than to say out loud what you've been sayin' about the women here!

(...yep, ain't we lucky to be livin' in this great country of ours?!!!)

I understand that there is a whole community of June Allyson haters in Siberia.

I understand that there is a whole community of June Allyson haters in Siberia.

In Siberia and in Cyberia.

I will take great comfort in the fact TCM's programmers like June Allyson as much as I do.