Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upset with Summer Under the Stars selection

I'm kind of upset with TCM. For the past few years, they been having the same stars for summer under the stars and most of the movies they are showing are shown year round.

I would like to see more obscure stars shown or movies shown by big stars that we don't normally see like for instance, Ginger Rogers, I would like to see her movies without Fred Astaire. I would like to see Ann Sothern, Joan Blondell, Ann Sheridan, Marion Davies, Dick Powell, Myrna Loy have a day of movies.

I also agree most of the stars for "Summer under the stars" where also "stars of the month". I would love B-movies as 'twangman' mentioned and some older stars Wallis Berry,Victor McLaughlin,co-stars Zazu Pitts, Charlie Ruggles,Eugene Pallette, and many more.......not re-hashed under a different banner. I'm glad others feel the same ......vallo

I agree. I was also hoping for more "summer" themed films. There were a few but I guess I get to complain when they don't show the ones I want to see :). I was hoping for some old favorites that haven't been shown in ages: A Summer Place, So Long at the Fair, Picnic, Summer of '42, The Swimmer. I hope I didn't miss A Summer Place!

I am satisfied with the selection of choices for "Summer Under the Stars".

Especially the 'newbies' of Maureen O'Hara, Joel McCrea, Lena Horne, Alec Guinness, Shelley Winters, etc.

And besides you can see most of the fabulous character actors in the films presented this month, especially in todays tribute to Jane Wyman.

What more can a movie buff ask for?

Mongo

I'll have to agree with Mongo. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I think TCM's Third Annual "Summer Under the Stars" month is the best in the series so far. After all, not only are they giving us a full day of each of "our" favorite stars' (Cary, Fred, Kate, James & Jimmy, Duke, Joan, Spence, and Bogie) films, but this year they've added NINETEEN new stars including such inspired choices as: Joel McCrea, Basil Rathbone, Donna Reed, Randolph Scott, and Constance Bennett. There aren't too many other channels where you'll catch these actor's films.

It's clear that tcmprogrammer and staff are reading these boards and listening to those of us who participate here. Last year's criticism centered around too many repeated stars. So, this year, two thirds of the month is brand new. I hear ya wrt to the lack of TCM premieres though, it appears that only a handful or so of this month's films are "new". However, I'm certainly looking forward to Theodora Goes Wild, Two Women, and the Topper films! Some of you might also want to see Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn.

I agree with Path40a that this year's Summer Under the Stars schedule is an improvement over previous years.

I really like the selection of so many new stars, as well. However, there's always room for even more improvement, and I wish TCM would show some of the lesser known films of the bigger stars, instead of the well-known successful ones which are shown on a regular basis. I've seen all the Fred and Ginger movies (and will NEVER tire of them), but it would be nice to see wome of the more obscure GINGER ROGERS films, such as HAVING WONDERFUL TIME, which hasn't been shown in years, or The Sap From Syracuse, which I've never seen. Another film I wish TCM would show is THE SILVER CORD, with Irene Dunne and Joel McCrea. Both of these stars are being featured this month, but the films being presented (such as THE PALM BEACH STORY) have had repeated showings. Although, I've requested these lesser known films on a regular basis, they never make it into the schedule.

Oh well, there's always next month...

"Anna and the King" is a Fox film and shown frequently on Fox MOvie Channel. It was also recently released on DVD.

I'm pretty satisfied with this summer's line-up, as other's have mentioned the days to Joel McCrea, Constance Bennett, Basil Rathbone, lots of pre-Code goodies and "Theodora Goes Wild" which I've not seen in several year and is great fun.

Summer Under the Stars is a little boring and repetitious, everyone knows it. There are about 5 movies that are being aired which are unique for the whole month, the rest are shown so many times that there is no reason to tune in (like my Mom says I'm not going to waste electricity on that). That being said, I really don't mind because there are other options out there and no channel is great all the time, we shouldn't feel like we need to be loyal to any one channel or option, rent DVDs, pick up a premium channel, or just turn the old tube off.

In short, it is ok to say that TCM is pretty boring this month and I'll just watch something else.

I've been wanting to say this for a long time, and this seems like a good time and place.

When I was first able to subscribe to TCM and begin watching hundreds of Classic Movies and the stars we associate with them, I was so thankful to TCM because "repeating" movies was what made this possible for me (at that time) as a "first time" viewer...and sure there were lots of people on these boards then who had already seen most of them previously, but didn't complain about it. My thanks go to them, too!

With it in mind that every day, every week, every month, there are hundreds of people out there just like me, as I was a few years ago, I again wish to thank TCM for repeating all the Classics for them, whenever they can.

This edition of "Summer Under the Stars" is a fantastic effort on TCM's part to reach a brand new audience of Classic Film lovers, and at the same time include plenty of "fresh" films and stars to keep the rest of us engaged and happy. Good job, TCM! :)ML

Well, classicfan, I enjoyed reruns in the beginning myself but how on earth can you learn about other classic, overlooked gems. I wouldn't know about the great Marjorie White, Alice White, Marian Marsh, Ona Munson if it weren't for TCM sneaking them in every now and then. I wish more of their movies would be showed. I mean, come on, even hearing a favorite song can be too much sometime. I love Myrna Loy but I would like to see her rare movies because their good to.

I like what you said nsallieharding, TCM is mostly all I watch and if nothing on I watch some movies I recorded.

It seems when TCM had competition with AMC, they really went to work and showed some good movies now that AMC isn't competition anymore their not working hard to show us some real classics.

I think somewhere that TCM doesn't have permission to play certain movies so even though they may have certain ones in their library they can't play them so that's why we get some movies played consistently.

After seeing Beauty and the Boss (1933?), it's hard to believe why Marian Marsh didn't become a big star. She gives a remarkable virtuouso performance in this movie. She also played Trilby in Svengali (1932)with John Barrymore.

An early Myrna Loy curio is The Squall (1929) in which she plays a gypsy that disrupts an otherwise harmonious country estate household. Loretta Young is an unbelievably sweet 16 in a minor role.

Both of these---not necessarily great movies by any means but gems nonetheless---are in the TCM library and do show up from time to time though not very often unfortunately.

The Alec Guinness movies were great, Hotel Paradiso (1966), Scapegoat(1959) and All at Sea (1958)are movies that I have never seen before. Scapegoat was one of the best movies I have ever seen by Alec Guinness. There are some more movies that will be worth the wait for also:

19 Friday (I gave away my copy of this and it will be nice to get it back)

The Teahouse Of The August Moon (1956) An Okinawan translator introduces U.S. occupation forces to the joys of local life. Marlon Brando, Glenn Ford, Eddie Albert. D: Daniel Mann. C 123m. LBX CC DVS

24 Wednesday ( This epic did not fare well at its release because people were down on epics because of the hype and big let down with Cleopatra)

The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) A mad emperor's excesses leave the Roman Empire open to barbarian invasions. Sophia Loren, Christopher Plummer, Alec Guinness. D: Anthony Mann. C 183m. LBX

28 Sunday

Sunset Boulevard (1950) A failed screenwriter falls into a mercenary romance with a faded silent-film star. Gloria Swanson, William Holden, Erich Von Stroheim. D: Billy Wilder. BW 110m.

29 Monday

What Price Hollywood? (1932) A drunken director whose career is fading helps a waitress become a Hollywood star. Constance Bennett, Lowell Sherman, Neil Hamilton. D: George Cukor. BW 88m.

Goldensilents--I agree with you absitively. I don't care much for Glenn Ford-never did- so they could trade him for Ginger Rogers who is much more interesting. And, if she has a day, pick out someone else who has a little more personality and does a wide range of characters instead of just westerns or war characters. There are lots of stars to choose from but we seem to get mostly the same ones year after year. It' time for a freshen up in August Under The Stars and I'm all for it. :) Sue

I also wanted to add that I watched some of the Kirk Douglas day on TCM as well as Cary Grant. I think it's great that TCM highlights a particular actor/actress for each day of the month. Perhaps they should do this more than once per year as there are so many stars to select from.

On a side note, I rented the movie "Streetcar Named Desire" the other day and all I can say is that Marlon Brando sizzles in this movie - he is just the most sexy, handsome thing I've ever seen in movies. I notice TCM will have a Marlon Brando day on Friday, Aug. 19th. I can't wait to see some of his other films. I wonder if anyone else has seen Streetcar Named Desire - if not, I implore you to watch his films on Friday, Aug. 19th - if nothing else, you should try to catch Streetcar Named Desire, this guy is spectacular (fanning myself off right now).

I also would like to watch the Jimmy Stewart and Irene Dunne days at TCM.