Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upset with Summer Under the Stars selection

Why O why are they showing "three on a match" at 7am(est) on Humphrey Bogart day 8/31, Some of us work during those hours, and the last time it was shown it was at 6:30am.Why can't they show this great movie a least once during prime time, or the next time I'll be calling in sick.They can even put it on "one reel wonders" it's only 63 minutes long.I always miss it. vallo

Well, Vallo, as a classic movie fan, surely you must have figured out how to tape/record on a VCR, a DVD or get TIVO? I just hope TCM plays more of the pre-Code films, and don't care what time of day they are on; I can always record them and watch them at any time.

Excuse me all but I have to get a few comments out of my head regarding "Summer Under The Stars." IMHO there should have been a few changes to the lineup. Joel McCrea is one. His acting wasn't all that good and he didn't have any choice roles to prove himself. Another is Shelley Winters-all I have ever seen her portray was bitchey women, on the wrong side of the street, wicked and mean roles and alcoholic, too. I never saw her in a decent role and she never got a decent role to prove herself a good actress, too. Ray Milland and Lena Horne were OK, just not my choices for this month. Jane Wyman is another who seemed to play the hurt one in all her movies. I never saw her in a strong role either. Glenn Ford was always westerns and not much else. Even "Blackboard Jungle" didn't do him justice. He needed a very strong leading role so he could show his acting abilities to their best. Donna Reed is on today and if it were not for her supporting characters she would be noplace, too. I never saw her shine in any big hit to test her acting abilities either. James Garner is another who only did westerns and some uninteresting other films. I think he did better on television than he did on the screen. The rest of the list is OK in my book but I do have one comment about them, too. I wish TCM would have shown their shining films in better time slots-like from noon to 10pm CDT. I missed a lot of good films because me vcr is already programmed to the max and I just couldn't open my eyes that early in the am or keep them open in the late pm. Think I got it all out of my head--now don't go crucifing me for my comments. I know there are a lot of you out there who like the stars I didn't, but all in all, there is always room for improvement. tcmprogrammer-have you taken note of this??? :D Sue

Room for improvement? I don't think TCM needs ANY improvement. I mean c'mon people - they do their best to reach out to ALL of us. Do any of you realize that there are literally MILLIONS of people who get TCM, and perhaps are just discovering stars like Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant, who most everyone here seems to be "tired" of. These new fans are probably thrilled that they can see their films, like the person who posted previously who can't wait to see Brando's day of films. He's a star who's films have aired over and over. But so what! That's what TCM is about, educating the T.V. audience on film history. I just don't get it. Mary Lou already pointed this out, and Path pointed out that TWO THIRDS of the stars this month are NEW. So why the beef? TCM can't please everyone. I'm not a fan of Glenn Ford or Donna Reed either, but I do like SOME movies they are in, and I'm sure that there are fans out there of these two stars who are happy that TCM is showcasing their films.

All in all I think we should just be grateful to TCM for doing what they do. Constructive criticism is fine, but only when it's done rightfully. I don't think TCM needs any criticism for the job they did this month, which is great.

I like how they have a variety of stars...some very very well known (Cary Grant, Bogart, Hepburn, etc.) and then some that we don't hear enough of (Constance Bennett, Basil Rathbone, etc.) For instance, I LOVED the lineup of Donna Reed's early films. She is one of my favorites, and you got to see her in something other than what most people remember her for: her TV show. And I really loved the early Joel McCrea films, especially those with Constance Bennett (and I look forward to her day as well). I think they were a great pair. All in all, though, I am happy with the selection of stars for this lineup. I think Summer Under the Stars is a good idea, and I love the website as well.

(PS - to classicmoviesdear - I agree with you on Angela Lansbury - they definitely should have her because a lot of people only remember her from Murder She Wrote!)

I'm looking forward to Constance Bennett's day as well - I'm anxious to know her work better. Some of the days my TV was turned off - they didn't have the best Glenn Ford movies on his day, for instance. I noticed that some of you don't care for Glenn Ford, I quite like him but I don't think he starred in that many good movies. Give him a good role, ie: Ransom, Gilda and he's a good actor - but he didn't have that many really good movies IMO. It's Sophia Loren's day that I'm not looking forward to. I don't care for her AT ALL. Thank God it's only one day is the silver lining I find in that cloud. LOL

In regards to showing a star's best work, etc:

Please keep in mind that while the Turner Library has a vast amount of films it does not have them all and anything not in the Turner Library has to be rented from another studio.

They have to pay to show the film in other words and they probably have a budget of x number of dollars a year that goes to renting films.

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclavegas.com

Just watched "36 Hours" with, summer star of the day, James Garner. Was disappointed that this film had absolutely NO mention in the preceding interview. Have never seen this film discussed by anyone. Would love to have some background info on it. Saw it for the first time several years ago and found it to be very well done and suspenseful...so how come nobody seems to have heard of it???

I like the TCM Summer Under the Stars. It's a nice selection of actors/actresses that are featured.

To Classicsfan 40: Hello!!! Glad you enjoyed "Streetcar Named Desire". Marlon Brando's other films are great as well and he will be featured on Friday, Aug. 19th on TCM.

Thanks TCM for doing such a great job.