Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Note to the Moderators

misswonderly3

Hello, gentlemen (or ladies, as the case may be):

I think most people here agree that the moderating on these boards has been better than in previous years. It's been more, well, moderate.

However, I believe that a day or so ago this "moderate" approach was rescinded. A post I wrote in the "Citizen Kane" thread has been removed.

People, if you want to remove a post - completely!- I think that

1, you should do it openly. In place of the deleted post, you should post a comment such as "This post has been removed". preferably delineating the reason for the deletion ("delineate the delete!")

2 Send a private message to the person whose post you've deleted, explaining why you did this.

The comment I wrote was in no way transgressing any of the rules of conduct for the boards. It was simply an observation that people tend to undermine others' comments that they don't like by saying the poster was "b i t c h i n g" or "whining".

People do this everywhere, all over the internet, not just here.

There, since I said it again, I guess you'll have to delete this one, too.

• Like 2

I think most people here agree that the moderating on these boards has been better than in previous years. It's been,more, well, moderate.

However, i believe that a day or so ago this "moderate" approach was rescinded. A post I wrote in the "Citizen Kane" thread has been removed.

1, you should do it openly. In place of the deleted post, you should post a comment such as "This post has been removed". preferably delineating the reason for the deletion ("delineate the delete!")

2 Send a private message to the person whose post you've deleted, explaining why you did this.

The comment I wrote was in no way transgressing any of the rules of conduct for the boards. It was simply an observation that people tend to undermine others' comments that they don't like by saying the poster was "b i t c h i n g" or "whining".

When the moderator becomes officially known as the severeorator, you'll know that the moderate approach has been rescinded.

• Like 1

Actually, dear Moderators, I hereby rescind some of my own post, at least most of it. The deletion of the comment I was referring to was, I believe, somewhat of an accident.

But I still say whenever a post, thread, word, or even comma*  is deleted by a Moderator, some explanation should be supplied in its place.

* especially if it's an Oxford comma.

Actually, dear Moderators, I hereby rescind some of my own post, at least most of it. The deletion of the comment I was referring to was, I believe, somewhat of an accident.

But I still say whenever a post, thread, word, or even comma*  is deleted by a Moderator, some explanation should be supplied in its place.

* especially if it's an Oxford comma.

HEY now MissW! Why "especially" an "Oxford comma" here???

You got somethin' against us good ol' Americans who use the "HARVARD comma" or somethin', lady?!

(...wait, lemme guess here...it's 'cause all you "superfluous-u users" think this way, RIGHT?!) ;)

HEY now MissW! Why "especially" an "Oxford comma" here???

You got somethin' against us good ol' Americans who use the "HARVARD comma" or somethin', lady?!

(...wait, lemme guess here...it's 'cause all you "superfluous-u users" think this way, RIGHT?!) ;)

Dargo, baby, you should know by now that sometimes, especially when it comes to trivial matters such as commas, I'm full of merd. I don't even know exactly what an Oxford, -or for that matter, Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, or even University of Toronto comma is.(Should I have put a comma after "University of Toronto"?) I admit, I was just blathering.

There is a very charming song by the band "Vampire Weekend" called Oxford Comma. I wish I could post it here, but I am unable to do that on the computer I'm currently using.

I'll try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g

Hey it worked!  (Or should I say, "Hey  ,   it worked!" ?) Check it out - ya gotta appreciate a song about a comma.

Commas are my bane! They do not seem natural when I am typing.

My husband gives me no end to grief about Oxford comma. He is writer and so he knows well its importance. I understand how and when and where to use it but it does not look right to my eye when I use it.

His favorite example of why it is needed is a dedication: "To my parents, Ayn Rand and God." I agree that it would be awesome to have Ayn Rand and God as parents which is what this says as it lacks the Oxford comma to separate the elements of the list.

• Like 1

Dargo, baby, you should know by now that sometimes, especially when it comes to trivial matters such as commas, I'm full of merd. I don't even know exactly what an Oxford, -or for that matter, Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, or even University of Toronto comma is.(Should I have put a comma after "University of Toronto"?) I admit, I was just blathering.

There is a very charming song by the band "Vampire Weekend" called Oxford Comma. I wish I could post it here, but I am unable to do that on the computer I'm currently using.

I'll try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_i1xk07o4g

Heym it worked! Check it out - ya gotta appreciate a song about a comma.

Nice little ditty of a song there, MissW. 

Btw, I also wasn't really versed in what an "Oxford comma" was myself, and so I Googled the term and Wiki said it was the same as a "Harvard comma" and with both being primarily known as a "Serial comma", and it went on to show an example of such as:

"...a list of three countries might be punctuated either as "France, Italy, and Spain" (with the serial comma), or as "France, Italy and Spain" (without the serial comma).

(...and of course after noticing the whole "Oxford" and "Harvard" thing there, I JUST couldn't resist going into my whole "British English vs American English usage/"Superfluous-u" joke mode yet again) ;)

My husband gives me no end to grief about Oxford comma. He is writer and so he knows well its importance. I understand how and when and where to use it but it does not look right to my eye when I use it.

His favorite example of why it is needed is a dedication: "To my parents, Ayn Rand and God." I agree that it would be awesome to have Ayn Rand and God as parents which is what this says as it lacks the Oxford comma to separate the elements of the list.

Now, I can maybe understand why you might like "God" as your "parent" here Sans, as most religious people in the world seem to feel that about this anyway. BUT, I have to wonder why you'd want someone as a parent who wrote books and movie screenplays which are often dominated by blatant archetypes in order to have her opinions expressed to others???

LOL

(...nah, maybe we shouldn't go in this direction in this thread, huh?...and ESPECIALLY considering the title of MissW's thread here, huh!) ;)

That's a great example Sans. After reading a couple of the following replies, I had to laugh ( I hope they were kidding) Capuchin is right. Had the comma been placed after Ann Rand, the statement wouldn't have been misunderstood. With a comma, it's clear the statement separates my parents, Ann Rand and G-d, not that Ann Rand and G-d are the parents. Big difference a little comma can make.

I hope they deleted the initial comments referring to your comments with "The B Word;" but I rather liked your reply and thought you had every right to make it (and did so quite well.)

I will take a moment to chime in that- from my personal standpoint- the moderation has gotten SO MUCH BETTER since the site redesign- one of the few things about the Boards that changed for the better, but something which definitely needed to change more than anything else around these parts and I'm really grateful for it.

The Oxford comma is generally used if there are 3 or more items in a list.

I use the TV News comma system, with commas representing short pauses.

Longer pauses use dots, like this.........

That last sentence has a short-pause comma and a longer-pause set of dots.

In my opinion, your sentence should read:

"To my parents, Ayn Rand...... and God."

Ho! Now I see the problem. I thought your sentence meant that Ayn Rand AND God were her parents! LOL :)

I would write the sentence this way:

"To my parents, to Ayn Rand, and to God."

or:

"To my parents, Ayn Rand, and God."

Now, I can maybe understand why you might like "God" as your "parent" here Sans, as most religious people in the world seem to feel that about this anyway. BUT, I have to wonder why you'd want someone as a parent who wrote books and movie screenplays which are often dominated by blatant archetypes in order to have her opinions expressed to others???

I believe it is beneficial to have parents who are at opposite ends of the spectrum of some issues and who agree totally on others. Children of such matches become either great thinkers or schizophrenics or a combination of the two. :)

I believe it is beneficial to have parents who are at opposite ends of the spectrum of some issues and who agree totally on others. Children of such matches become either great thinkers or schizophrenics or a combination of the two. :)

LOL

Ya know, you might be closer to the truth than you know here, Sans!

My best buddy in the L.A. area is a very successful and quite intelligent Doctor of Medicine(within the first ten minutes of meeting him some 20 years ago now at a motorcycle function, we went into a VERY lengthy "Nurture vs Nature" debate...but I digress) , and unfortunately his younger brother was diagnosed with Schizophrenia at age 24, about 30-some years ago.

(...btw...their father was a Jewish Czech Holocaust survivor and their mother was Catholic and born in the U.S....perhaps adding to your "theory in jest" here) ;)

I had to Wiki the Oxford comma.  Count me in as a big fan.  Mr. Gay D (one of Dargo's Superfluous U users) is adamantly against its use.  Heated discussion ensued.

I believe that the Oxford comma is one of the most polarizing issue among grammarians. I find it perversely amusing that it creates such furor among such normally prosaic people. 

My husband has a clipping of a different instance. It is an army publication stating which servicemen were to be selected first for release from service at end of WWII. Two elements of the list are: "received injuries in combat" and "with children." I must believe that the person who wrote it knew exactly what they were doing when they placed those two items in that order at the end of the sentence. Perhaps they were strong advocates of Oxford comma and were rebelling against army's proscription against it?

• Like 1

I believe that the Oxford comma is one of the most polarizing issue among grammarians. I find it perversely amusing that it creates such furor among such normally prosaic people. 

My husband has a clipping of a different instance. It is an army publication stating which servicemen were to be selected first for release from service at end of WWII. Two elements of the list are: "received injuries in combat" and "with children." I must believe that the person who wrote it knew exactly what they were doing when they placed those two items in that order at the end of the sentence. Perhaps they were strong advocates of Oxford comma and were rebelling against army's proscription against it?

I hope by bringing up the following it will not "bend" this thread into a direction that will result in the same fate as Swithin's ill-fated "John Huston" thread, BUT...

The last Supreme Court ruling which involved aspects of the Second Amendment a few years back had a great deal to do with where a particular comma was placed in the text of it. And thus, sometimes it appears a "comma" can be a very important thing indeed AND in deed.

(...and as I said here folks, PLEASE don't now start expressing your opinions on this one way or the other, as the ONLY reason I brought this up was to make the point that I did about how the use of punctuation can make all the difference in one's meaning via the written word...THAT'S all)

I've always been rather fond of the serial (aka Oxford) comma. For example: My favorite John Huston films are The Dead, Wise Blood, and Prizzi's Honor.  A larger grammatical issue for me concerns punctuation relative to quotation marks. As I have professional dealings both in the U.S. and the U.K., it's sometimes hard for me to remember where I am, grammar-wise.

I've always been rather fond of the serial (aka Oxford) comma. For example: My favorite John Huston films are The Dead, Wise Blood, and Prizzi's Honor.  A larger grammatical issue for me concerns punctuation relative to quotation marks. As I have professional dealings both in the U.S. and the U.K., it's sometimes hard for me to remember where I am, grammar-wise.

Simple Swithin! (wait, I think I needed a comma there, as I CERTAINLY didn't wish to give you the impression that I think you're "simple" at all)

Simple, Swithin! (yeah, THAT'S better)

When you're on the RIGHT side of the pond and where they drive of the LEFT, you add some of those...dare I say it...YES..."superfluous-u"s into your text, AND whenever you're on the LEFT side of the pond and where we drive on the RIGHT side of the road(right in both connotations of the word: "Right" and as in a direction, AND "Right" as in the word CORRECT) you DON'T add those "superfluous-u"s into your text.

(...the jury's still out on where those commas should go on either side of the pond, BUT the judge HERE presiding over the jury doesn't have to wear one of the funky wigs like they have to over THERE, of course)

Simple Swithin! (btw, I think I needed a comma there, as I CERTAINLY didn't wish to give you the impression that I think you're "simple" at all)

SImple, Swithin! (yeah, THAT'S better)

When you're on the RIGHT side of the pond and where they drive of the LEFT, you add some of those...dare I say it...YES..."superfluous-u"s into your text, AND whenever you're on the LEFT side of the pond and where we drive on the RIGHT side of the road(right in both connotations of the word: "Right" and as in a direction, AND "Right" as in the word CORRECT) you DON'T add those "superfluous-u"s into your text.

(...the jury's still out on where those commas should go on either side of the pond, BUT the judge HERE presiding over the jury doesn't have to wear one of the funky wigs like they have to over THERE, of course)

A difficult thing for me to remember is the word "table." At a meeting in NY, to table something means put it off for later discussion; in London, it means put it on the table for discussion now. But I sometimes forget which is which! I suppose John Huston experienced similar confusion, as he spent a lot of time in Ireland, where they generally observe the U.K. usages.

A difficult thing for me to remember is the word "table." At a meeting in NY, to table something means put it off for later discussion; in London, it means put it on the table for discussion now. But I sometimes forget which is which! I suppose John Huston experienced similar confusion, as he spend a lot of time in Ireland, where they generally observe the U.K. usages.

Geeesh...do I have to 'splain EVERYTHING to you here, dude?!

Once again, this is very simple Swithin...sorry...it's simple, Swithin.

Just remember the following here and you'll have NO problem confusing this anymore:

In the Good Ol' U.S. of A, WE expect some moolah to be passed UNDER the "table" before decisions are made, and in the U.K...well...now that I think about this, I'm not really sure how generally corrupt they are over there, so I'll have to get back to ya later on this.

(...and so in the meantime, fiddle with your wristwatch by pulling out its stem and spinning its hands in both a "clockwise" and  "counter-clockwise", or as they call it over there "anti-clockwise" direction, as this should take your mind off of how long it's gonna take me to get back to you about this)

• Like 1

Okay Swithin' ol' boy...you can stop doin' that thing with your wristwatch now. I found somethin' else to occupy your time while..or I suppose "whilst" I'm gettin' back to ya here with that answer I promised you.

Watch this live Styx video here and of which the general premise of their song will pretty much explain my lifestyle lately...

(...and like you haven't already figured THAT out, huh?!) ;)

LOL

Okay Swithin' ol' boy...you can stop doin' that thing with your wristwatch now. I found somethin' else to occupy your time while..or I suppose "whilst" I'm gettin' back to ya here with that answer I promised you.

Watch this live Styx video here and of which the general premise of their song will pretty much explain my lifestyle lately...

(...and like you haven't already figured THAT out, huh?!) ;)

LOL

Great video. Around the time that song came out, I was busy dancing to Blondie's "One Way or Another" at the Mudd Club, where they sometimes projected films like Bride of Frankenstein on the wall (without sound).

Great video. Around the time that song came out, I was busy dancing to Blondie's "One Way or Another" at the Mudd Club, where they sometimes projected films like Bride of Frankenstein on the wall (without sound).

Yeah, they used to do that sort'a thing at Gazzarri's on the Strip in L.A. back in the day too...hmmmm...was it at The Whisky?!

(...gee, I must have had "a better '70s" than I THOUGHT...I can't remember which club I saw that at now!!!) LOL

I think most people here agree that the moderating on these boards has been better than in previous years. It's been more, well, moderate.

However, I believe that a day or so ago this "moderate" approach was rescinded. A post I wrote in the "Citizen Kane" thread has been removed.

I had a post removed from an automobile forum recently and received an e-mail from moderators that it was removed.  I had to ask why and they said because I used the word "dope."  The sentence referenced that many of the people who break into cars are not thinking rationally because they are on dope.

My local online newspaper permits comments on articles.  It will not permit me to use Dick Cheney.  I think theirs is automatic and it removes the first name.  Anybody ever heard of Richard Cheney?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings