24         Christmas Classics; Robert Osborne's Christmas Eve Picks

25         Christmas Classics; Christmas with Mel Brooks

26         Henry Fonda; Spotlight: Charles Walters

27         Carry On; Essentials: Desert Islands

28         Miscellaneous; Points of View

29         It's All in Your Head; Star of the Month Cary Grant

30         Apes; In Memoriam

31         In Memoriam; Classic Rock Films

Please see below.  I took the theme names from the Now Playing Guide. 

If someone knows the daytime themes where I have inserted question marks, please let me know. Thanks.

images20.jpg

1         Joan Crawford; Star of the Month Cary Grant

2         Warren William; Rhonda Fleming

3         Crime Stories; Ingmar Bergman

4         Allyn Joslyn; Christmas Classics

5         Otto Preminger; Spotlight: Charles Walters

6         Dr. Gillespie; Essentials: Mike Nichols

7         Christmas Classics; Deborah Kerr & Robert Mitchum

8         King Vidor; Star of the Month Cary Grant

9         Broderick Crawford; Errol Flynn by Guest Rory Flynn

10         Thomas Mitchell; The Art of Collaboration

11         Lost Women; Christmas Classics

12         Edward G. Robinson; Spotlight: Charles Walters

13         Carry On; Essentials: Best Bets

14         ?; A Double Dose of Dickens

15         Melodramas; Star of the Month Cary Grant

16         May/December Romance; Disasters at Sea

17         50s Noir; Guest Programmer Jason Lee

18         Jules Dassin; Christmas Classics

19         Jack Lemmon; Spotlight: Charles Walters

20         Carry On; Essentials: Martini Movies

21         ?; Disney Partnership

22         Ruth Roman; Star of the Month Cary Grant

23         60s Musicals; Religious Favorites

24         Christmas Classics; Robert Osborne's Christmas Eve Picks

25         Christmas Classics; Christmas with Mel Brooks

26         Henry Fonda; Spotlight: Charles Walters

27         Carry On; Essentials: Desert Islands

28         ?; Points of View

29         It's All In Your Head; Star of the Month Cary Grant

30         Apes; In Memoriam

31         In Memoriam; Classic Rock Films

Thanks much speedracer. I don't subscribe to Now Playing, so I was just guessing. If I have errors on any of the other daytime themes, please go ahead and correct them. What about the Sunday morning themes-- the 14th, 21st & 28th? Do they have anything for that?

Thanks much speedracer. I don't subscribe to Now Playing, so I was just guessing. If I have errors on any of the other daytime themes, please go ahead and correct them. What about the Sunday morning themes-- the 14th, 21st & 28th? Do they have anything for that?

No.  There isn't a daytime theme mentioned for those days. 

No.  There isn't a daytime theme mentioned for those days. 

Okay...then I will just write 'miscellaneous' in those slots. Thank you! 

Just so folks know where I am going with this thread (it's a reference tool)--

Starting soon, I am going to post screen shots of the daytime and primetime films. I will do this every day, so we will have a record of what's aired.

What I have noticed is that after the day passes, the schedule only stays up for a few days or a week at the most. A person can only scroll back so far before all the data is gone on TCM's website. But the problem is solved by putting screen shots of the daily schedules into this thread. I hope everyone is on board with that. In January, I will create a new thread for the schedule information during that month. And so on...

• Like 1

What's the purpose of this thread?  All of this is available on TCM.com isn't it.

Also, appears some people would benefit from subscribing to Now Playing Guide.  Questions are answered there, such as daytime theme, etc.

What's the purpose of this thread?  All of this is available on TCM.com isn't it.

Also, appears some people would benefit from subscribing to Now Playing Guide.  Questions are answered there, such as daytime theme, etc.

You have not read all of my posts in the thread. Hence your rudeness and your lack of understanding. Please go back, review, and then re-post in a fashion that leads to more productive discussion. Thanks.

You have not read all of my posts in the thread. Hence your rudeness and your lack of understanding. Please go back, review, and then re-post in a fashion that leads to more productive discussion. Thanks.

Not being rude at all, just asking for clarification on the purpose of the post.  And I read the posts before posting.  I might add that posting screen shots is helpful in some instances, but it also takes quite a bit of time for people to scroll through all of them.  Especially if it just reproduces information available on TCM.com. How many people really want to look at what TCM showed in the past?  Maybe a thread for previous TCM schedules?

BTW, if I don't read a thread, how will you know whether or not it is something that is of interest.

As for Now Playing, it is one of the least expensive (cheapest) forms of information out there - and it contributes to TCM.  It also permits people to keep old copies for future reference.

Sorry if I offended you, but you may have been a little oversensitive.

Not being rude at all, just asking for clarification on the purpose of the post.  And I read the posts before posting.  I might add that posting screen shots is helpful in some instances, but it also takes quite a bit of time for people to scroll through all of them.  How many people really want to look at what TCM showed in the past?

BTW, if I don't read a thread, how will you know whether or not it is something that is of interest.

As for Now Playing, it is one of the least expensive (cheapest) forms of information out there - and it contributes to TCM.  It also permits people to keep old copies for future reference.

Sorry if I offended you, but you may have been a little oversensitive.

Hi Cid,

I just replied to you in a private message about this. As I said to you there and will say here for others reading, not everyone subscribes to Now Playing or even subscribes to cable (they may get TCM only on the internet). I am sure people like to have a reference thread, where they can go back and look at previous schedules that were removed from TCM's website. 

We see this all the time-- someone coming on the board and saying when was the last time Film X aired. Or, has TCM ever aired Film Y? As this thread chugs along, we will reach a point where someone five years from now can click here and scroll back and find the answers. It will become a valuable reference tool.

The other benefit to doing this as opposed to keeping a collection of Now Playing magazines that could go up in smoke if a house fire occurred, is that it is always here on this website now. And you can use the message board search engine to quickly find something on this thread, instead of paging through countless old coffee stained magazines.  Am I making the case clearly or am I making the case clearly? I'm making the case clearly.

I honestly did not think this thread would cause a controversy. I definitely create threads where I want to stir up interest and get readers' attention. But this is not one of them. This is meant as a reference tool, pure and simple. Nobody should have a problem with that.

I might add that posting screen shots is helpful in some instances, but it also takes quite a bit of time for people to scroll through all of them.  

I have to address this comment separately.

I most definitely will continue to post the screen shots.  Why, you ask???  

Because, and here it comes, those shots are evidence directly from TCM's webpage that this is really what played on a given day. I do not want someone coming here three years from now and saying, 'oh but TCM did not really air that-- there was a last minute schedule change.' The answer will be a flat-out no. These screen shots were taken on the day of broadcast and are the most reliable information provided by TCM that this was the schedule that played.

Hi Cid,

I just replied to you in a private message about this. As I said to you there and will say here for others reading, not everyone subscribes to Now Playing or even subscribes to cable (they may get TCM only on the internet). I am sure people like to have a reference thread, where they can go back and look at previous schedules that were removed from TCM's website. 

We see this all the time-- someone coming on the board and saying when was the last time Film X aired. Or, has TCM ever aired Film Y? As this thread chugs along, we will reach a point where someone five years from now can click here and scroll back and find the answers. It will become a valuable reference tool.

The other benefit to doing this as opposed to keeping a collection of Now Playing magazines that could go up in smoke if a house fire occurred, is that it is always here on this website now. And you can use the message board search engine to quickly find something on this thread, instead of paging through countless old coffee stained magazines.  Am I making the case clearly or am I making the case clearly? I'm making the case clearly.

I honestly did not think this thread would cause a controversy. I definitely create threads where I want to stir up interest and get readers' attention. But this is not one of them. This is meant as a reference tool, pure and simple. Nobody should have a problem with that.

Perhaps if the thread was entitled Reference Guide for TCM Past Showings or something similar?  Since it just says "ON TCM - December 2014,"  I thought it was a discussion re: TCM showings for month of December.   That's why I made the comment when I became confused - and tried to offer a helpful hint re: Now Playing.  Also, did not think my simple question warranted a private conversation.  It will be interesting to see how many pages this thread becomes by Jan 01.  I assume you plan to do one of these for each month of the year?  Again, sorry if I offended you.

Perhaps if the thread was entitled Reference Guide for TCM Past Showings or something similar?  Since it just says "ON TCM - December 2014,"  I thought it was a discussion re: TCM showings for month of December.   That's why I made the comment when I became confused - and tried to offer a helpful hint re: Now Playing.  Also, did not think my simple question warranted a private conversation.  It will be interesting to see how many pages this thread becomes by Jan 01.  I assume you plan to do one of these for each month of the year?  Again, sorry if I offended you.

Thanks for opening this up to a more productive discussion, Cid. I will explain why the thread is titled in this way.

If the thread title said 'Past Showings' that would not be entirely correct, because if something is airing today, it is the present not the past. So this thread will be current but will have past information. Make sense? 

In order to prevent the thread from getting too long or having too many pages, I will make a separate thread for each month. I think that is reasonable and will making referencing the information much easier later on.

I welcome discussions about the schedules as they play. I don't see why people can't come on to this thread and talk about what aired last night or what is airing tonight. That will add to the historical value of this thread.

:)

I most definitely will continue to post the screen shots.  

[T]hose shots are evidence directly from TCM's webpage that this is really what played on a given day. I do not want someone coming here three years from now and saying, 'oh but TCM did not really air that-- there was a last minute schedule change.' The answer will be a flat-out no. These screen shots were taken on the day of broadcast and are the most reliable information provided by TCM that this was the schedule that played.

Do the online schedules always reflect schedule changes, for example those In Memoriam tributes that are quickly put together?

Do the online schedules always reflect schedule changes, for example those In Memoriam tributes that are quickly put together?

Yes. Always. Often, the memorial tributes don't occur until about seven to ten days after someone dies, because they need time to film the new wraparounds (and set up ads that will push those DVDs). The Bacall tribute was delayed a month because they were in the middle of Summer Under the Stars.

But to answer your question, yes. There is always enough time for them to update the online schedule and they do without fail.

Yes. Always. Often, the memorial tributes don't occur until about seven to ten days after someone dies, because they need time to film the new wraparounds (and set up ads that will push those DVDs). The Bacall tribute was delayed a month because they were in the middle of Summer Under the Stars.

But to answer your question, yes. There is always enough time for them to update the online schedule and they do without fail.

Good to know.

What frustrates me, more than the unscheduled tributes, is when a movie I'm looking forward to appears on the online schedule a few months in advance and then I see it has been replaced on the schedule by another movie (for whatever reason but probably usually related to rights issues) as we get closer to the air date.

For example, JUGGERNAUT had been scheduled to air on December 16 as part of the "Disasters at Sea" but I see it has now been replaced by another movie.

Good to know.

What frustrates me, more than the unscheduled tributes, is when a movie I'm looking forward to appears on the online schedule a few months in advance and then I see it has been replaced on the schedule by another movie (for whatever reason but probably usually related to rights issues) as we get closer to the air date.

For example, JUGGERNAUT had been scheduled to air on December 16 as part of the "Disasters at Sea" but I see it has now been replaced by another movie.

You got it. Exactly. I noticed they played around with SEPARATE TABLES. At first it was on the schedule for December, then they took it off. Now I see it's back on. I suppose we get spoiled by having the schedule info available to us three months early but sometimes changes/substitutions occur in the meantime. In a way, you have to keep checking back to make sure something you really want to see has remained on the schedule.

My rule of thumb is that it is not a reality until I see it on my cable/DVR listings, and those are programmed two weeks ahead. When TCM has officially reported its schedule information to the cable companies, then that is when it is set in stone. Make sense?

As for JUGGERNAUT, that film has played a few times in the past, and I believe it is in the Turner Library. So I am sure it will return to the channel in a future schedule.

You got it. Exactly. I noticed they played around with SEPARATE TABLES. At first it was on the schedule for December, then they took it off. Now I see it's back on. I suppose we get spoiled by having the schedule info available to us three months early but sometimes changes/substitutions occur in the meantime. In a way, you have to keep checking back to make sure something you really want to see has remained on the schedule.

My rule of thumb is that it is not a reality until I see it on my cable/DVR listings, and those are programmed two weeks ahead. When TCM has officially reported its schedule information to the cable companies, then that is when it is set in stone. Make sense?

As for JUGGERNAUT, that film has played a few times in the past, and I believe it is in the Turner Library. So I am sure it will return to the channel in a future schedule.

Yes, SEPARATE TABLES was another one I was looking forward to---but it was removed . . . but now it is back.

Again, sorry if I offended you.

Don't be, TheCid. In light of the recent tyrannization (yes, of course it's not a word, but it's a good mucking up, isn't it?), don't be.

BTW, doesn't this thread belong in the Calendar Sub Forum?

:lol:  :D  :P 

• Like 1

Again, sorry if I offended you.

Don't be, TheCid. In light of the recent tyrannization (yes, of course it's not a word, but it's a good mucking up, isn't it?), don't be.

BTW, doesn't this thread belong in the Calendar Sub Forum?

:lol:  :D  :P 

Primos, stop.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings