Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

Holiday shopping bargains

Well I still favor Christmas pie over fruitcake!

Preferably with a nice Gewürztraminer!

Once, as a kid, I made the mistake of opening, and eating a piece of the "family fruitcake" i.e. the same cake that was passed around from year to year. I think that may have been the beginning of my epistemological questioning.

Looks like there was a whole lot of Christmas syncretism going on. I've been hearing

about the commercialization of Christmas ever since I can remember. It's a losing

battle.

Well don't tell that to Fox.   It's the season to be upset.   What about that is so hard to understand!  ;)

There was a great cartoon ages ago with an older woman saying "How they all laughed when I did my lifetime Christmas shopping in 1938."  I have a shopping weakness, shall we say, and shop all year for bargains, stashing presents away.  Naturally, just before Christmas I'm unable to find many of them.  But I know they're somewhere, waiting for the next year!

Yeah, kids are a different matter.

As long as you perpetuate the idea of a gift-giving bonanza to kids, the longer Christmas will be about "things". You can't blame them for being excited about a cavalcade of toys!

And you also can't blame stores for wanting the biggest piece of the buying pie, it's their job. Stores would stop staying open on a holiday, if it wasn't worth it.

As Thelma Ritter says in MIRACLE ON 34th ST, "It's all gone commercial"

To address the idea that Black Friday "bargains" are sub-standard models.....

It has just been reported that in NY state at least, the Attny General is cracking down on Outlet Stores.

It's common knowledge (in retail) the merchandise in outlet stores is lesser quality manufactured items that never appears in the "regular" retail stores. So the label stating "regularly priced" or "markdown" is wholly misleading-the price was ALWAYS that price.

No wonder I'm such a jaded consumer.

I guess the good thing about my wife's and my failing health and subsequent health difficulties is the lack of shopping.  AND nobody expects us to go out and SPLURGE on them!  Which we won't.  We'll make a cursory stab at it, I guess, but nobody is getting great wads of cash spent on them this yuletide.  Most likely a lot of people are getting MEAL TICKETS.  At least, we know THOSE will get used!

Sepiatone

Yeah, kids are a different matter.

As long as you perpetuate the idea of a gift-giving bonanza to kids, the longer Christmas will be about "things". You can't blame them for being excited about a cavalcade of toys!

My thoughts about kids being a different matter were more along the lines of if they were already accustomed to receiving gifts, it would be a bit harsh to take that away from them because of a change in philosophical position. But they would get over it without any permanent wounds, I’m sure, and certainly “worse” things could happen to them. That’s not to say that kid’s gifts couldn’t or shouldn’t be realistically priced, developmentally useful, and reasonable in number. Giving them a bunch of over-priced poo, with no real developmental value, is just plain ridiculous, and I suggest it also establishes a very odd baseline for their future reference.

On the other hand, if kids were never exposed to the gift bonanza, particularly if the parents had reinforced the absence of gifts with an explanation, so the kids understood why they didn’t receive gifts while most other kids did, then it’s not such a different matter.

I do not know how Christianity became the accepted "national" religion but all day long people wish me a "Merry Christmas".

I do wish you have a Merry Christmas this year, and a Happy New Year

:)

When visiting Vicksburg, MS, do not say "Happy 4th of July" to any older local person...... because Vicksburg fell to Grant on the 4th of July, 1863.

When visiting Vicksburg, MS, do not say "Happy 4th of July" to any older local person...... because Vicksburg fell to Grant on the 4th of July, 1863.

So today,  older folks in Vicksburg don't celebrate the 4th of July?    I find that hard to believe but,  well,  maybe not.

So today,  older folks in Vicksburg don't celebrate the 4th of July?  

Actually, I was thinking about the way it was during my youth, which was a lot closer to the Civil War era than "today" is. :)

I've been inside this courthouse, and other buildings that were there in 1863:

v-CH.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, I was thinking about the way it was during my youth, which was a lot closer to the Civil War era than "today" is. :)

Ok, that makes sense.  Often it is difficult to 'move on' unless one is two generations apart from relatives that were alive during an event like war.

My thoughts about kids being a different matter were more along the lines of if they were already accustomed to receiving gifts, it would be a bit harsh to take that away from them because of a change in philosophical position. But they would get over it without any permanent wounds, I’m sure, and certainly “worse” things could happen to them. 

I fear that such things have delayed reaction. I feel that it is likely to happen that when they are adults they will overcompensate for such loss by staging even grander gift-giving. Children do not have: "there are worse things" as part of their nature. That comes with maturity.

I have liked at all times to give candy because it brings small amount of joy at bleak time of year. I like also to give books if I know the child is of such predisposition as to cherish them.

I believe it would be sad loss to me to stop giving presents. One of my brightest memories of school was being chosen to be Snow Maiden and hand out gifts to those in a lower class. The joy of giving to innocents is part of me.

I fear that such things have delayed reaction. I feel that it is likely to happen that when they are adults they will overcompensate for such loss by staging even grander gift-giving. Children do not have: "there are worse things" as part of their nature. That comes with maturity.

I have liked at all times to give candy because it brings small amount of joy at bleak time of year. I like also to give books if I know the child is of such predisposition as to cherish them.

I believe it would be sad loss to me to stop giving presents. One of my brightest memories of school was being chosen to be Snow Maiden and hand out gifts to those in a lower class. The joy of giving to innocents is part of me.

You may be right, SF. When thinking of children, it’s sometimes hard to bear in mind that the events of one’s formative years can have far more ramifications on a person than if the same, or similar, events were to occur in one’s adulthood.

The joy one gets from the act of giving is something I hadn’t thought about. Certainly, giving and receiving are two sides of the same coin.

I don’t mean to digress the thread, but when you write “Snow Maiden” are you referring to Snegurochka? If so, I would be very pleased to hear more about Snegurochka and the Slavic Christmas traditions, including Ded Moroz, etc. -- perhaps in another thread, or message. I’ve read what I’ve been able to find, and watched a few videos on YouTube, but since I don’t speak the language, I can only guess at the dialogue.

I don’t mean to digress the thread, but when you write “Snow Maiden” are you referring to Snegurochka? If so, I would be very pleased to hear more about Snegurochka and the Slavic Christmas traditions, including Ded Moroz, etc. -- perhaps in another thread, or message. I’ve read what I’ve been able to find, and watched a few videos on YouTube, but since I don’t speak the language, I can only guess at the dialogue.

I am willing to take the risk of a scolding for temporary diverting of NipkowDisc's thread as this does relate to gift-giving.

Snow Maiden is grand-daughter of Father Frost. She helps him distribute presents. I feel this is superior to Santa Claus in that Father Frost distributes presents on New Year's Day and is by this separate and distinct from Christmas.

I will suggest that if you wish to research that you do not use names which have been converted to Latin letters. That is more of an art than a science and so there are many variations. Using: "Father Frost" and: "Snow Maiden" will yield results written for a person with Western perspective.

Here is my favorite video concerning this issue:

It is Russian but dialogue is minimal. I warn that first thirty seconds are cheap graphics with grating music but it is after that quite fine. I will risk spoiler by telling that she becomes Snow Maiden when her clothes are changed to blue.

I am willing to take the risk of a scolding for temporary diverting of NipkowDisc's thread as this does relate to gift-giving.

Snow Maiden is grand-daughter of Father Frost. She helps him distribute presents. I feel this is superior to Santa Claus in that Father Frost distributes presents on New Year's Day and is by this separate and distinct from Christmas.

I will suggest that if you wish to research that you do not use names which have been converted to Latin letters. That is more of an art than a science and so there are many variations. Using: "Father Frost" and: "Snow Maiden" will yield results written for a person with Western perspective.

Here is my favorite video concerning this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6OtRox9V8&feature=youtu.be

It is Russian but dialogue is minimal. I warn that first thirty seconds are cheap graphics with grating music but it is after that quite fine. I will risk spoiler by telling that she becomes Snow Maiden when her clothes are changed to blue.

Thank you, SF!

I appreciate the link and your suggestion about the names!

The Snow Maiden, as related to the holidays, and as related to spring, has been one of my favorite “discoveries” in my exploration of the many rich cultures of the world.

It is disappointing to me that the mainstream US culture is so self-absorbed and self-isolated. There are so many great stories, mythologies, and folk tales, etc., not to mention music, art, film, etc. (as well as many, many other things­) in the world that have so much to offer. To find those things, one either has to actively search for them and find what one can, or one has to be acquainted with someone who has first-hand knowledge of those things, who is willing to share that knowledge.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it!

Sorry for the digression, everyone.

Sorry for the digression, everyone.

Don't be sorry, this is "off topic chit chat". I found Sans' story pretty interesting, as were everyone's views on the "holidays".

Reminded me of a favorite cartoon as a child- the animated "Snow Queen". I've always enjoyed other culture's folklore.

Sorry to be such a scrooge curmudgeon about the "holidays". It's just kind of sickening when you spend any time in a mall in Nov/Dec. 

Do any of you smile and make eye contact when you're out in public? I do, and I see fewer & fewer smiling faces back despite the sheer number of them. Many faces are buried in a glowing electronic. Many faces are tired & blank, while many are plain angry...it's hard to find Christmas cheer when you're bombarded with the effects of the"commercial" aspect of Christmas. 

• Like 1

I do wish you have a Merry Christmas this year, and a Happy New Year

:)

I facetiously try to cover all the bases-----

HAPPY CHANNUKWANZAAMAS!

Sepiatone

“Snow Queen”

I’m trying to work my way through all of Hans Christian Andersen’s stories, as well as all the stories of the Brother’s Grimm, and what stories of the First Nations/Native American peoples that I can find. Fairy tales, folk lore, mythologies, etc. give an interesting insight into the cultures from which they arose, but more importantly into humanity on the whole.

“…Mall in Nov/Dec”

I spend as little time as possible in malls at any time of the year. Going to one in November and December, and now October, is anathema to me. The most annoying part of the experience is having to listen to the loop of cheesy Christmas and holiday music and Muzak. Don’t misunderstand me; I like some Christmas and holiday music, just not what they play in the Malls.

I hope you are in the Mall selling your own products, and not as an employee of some large chain. I’ve done the latter and I know how much of a beating that can be.

“…smile and make eye contact…”

Man. I could write a rather lengthy essay on that. The short story is: not nearly as much as I used to. Ninety percent of the time a smile is completely ignored. The majority of the rest of the time, the person looks at me like I am a fool, or like I have some sort of ulterior motive. Only rarely do I get a smile in return. I don’t play the percentages much anymore.

Around here, if one acknowledges a stranger at all, it has become the custom to nod one’s head without smiling: the all-business, “Hello, for now, but “I’m keepin’ an eye on you!” form of acknowledgement.

There are those rare occasions though, when everything comes together and a smile is met with a smile, and for a brief moment, in that time, in that place, all seems right with the world.

:D

I facetiously try to cover all the bases-----

HAPPY CHANNUKWANZAAMAS!

Sepiatone

Sounds ok to me. :)

Do any of you smile and make eye contact when you're out in public? I do, and I see fewer & fewer smiling faces back despite the sheer number of them. Many faces are buried in a glowing electronic. Many faces are tired & blank, while many are plain angry...it's hard to find Christmas cheer when you're bombarded with the effects of the"commercial" aspect of Christmas. 

It seems there are fewer smilers today, TikiSoo.  It's such an unexpected delight when it happens, to make that connection.  And yes, everyone is gazing down at their electronic devices.  It drives me crazy, especially in a restaurant, to see people texting (or whatever they're doing) rather thn talking to one another at the table.

Do any of you smile and make eye contact when you're out in public? I do, and I see fewer & fewer smiling faces back despite the sheer number of them. 

My husband is one for that. He has smile and nod for all ladies no matter their age even when he is not feeling well. Clerks who know him have genuine smile for him and relax a little as if they know that here is one customer who will not complain nor make unreasonable demands. It is a small wonder how much he appears to lighten their mood.

I have started other thread to discuss holiday celebrations so as to not further derail this thread.