Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1_zps2k0x05aw.gif

I imagine most of you have looked over December's schedule in advance and have noticed the following film is set to air. I thought I would share the information with those of you who haven't heard of or haven't seen this noir/sci-fi blend. I have recently been made aware of Decoy (1946), sometimes called "the noiriest of noirs", but was surprised to find the film so conveniently scheduled. The air time is 6AM (ET) on Wednesday, December 3 and you will want to set your recording devices so as not to miss this one; Jean Gillie's performance could possibly set the bar a little higher for all femme fatales.

• Like 1

1_zps2k0x05aw.gif

I imagine most of you have looked over December's schedule in advance and have noticed the following film is set to air. I thought I would share the information with those of you who haven't heard of or haven't seen this noir/sci-fi blend. I have recently been made aware of Decoy (1946), sometimes called "the noiriest of noirs", but was surprised to find the film so conveniently scheduled. The air time is 6AM (ET) on Wednesday, December 3 and you will want to set your recording devices so as not to miss this one; Jean Gillie's performance could possibly set the bar a little higher for all femme fatales.

New to me, thank you for the heads up, whistlingypsy.

And right after Decoy, there's this, which hasn't been shown on TCM for many years, if at all:

7:30 AM Highway 301 (1950) A brutal bank robber fights internal divisions within his gang. Cast: Steve Cochran, Virginia Grey, Gaby Andre. Dir: Andrew Stone.  BW-83 min.

• Like 2

Wowee Kazowee, I don't know what's up with TCM and film noir for the month of December, but I like it.

As I mentioned on another thread ("Citizen Kane!"), they're airing the relatively obscure but very good Mystery Street. I love this film, can't recommend it too highly.

And now I discover ( due to whistling gypsy here - thanks, wg!) that they're actually airing the extremely rare and very bizarre Decoy !

Man, if you are a noir fan, or for that matter, if you're just a fan of weird and unusual movies, you've got to catch this. Get up at 5:55, or set your PVR or whatever they're called, to record it, or just do whatever you need to do to see it.

Decoy is arguably the strangest film noir ever made. I don't actually agree with whistling gypsy that it's got sci-fi elements, but I understand why he said that.

It's more, shall we say, an imagining of a particular medical procedure that does not actually exist, but if it did, boy, would the world be a strange place.

Besides the jaw-droppingly outre procedure mentioned above, Decoy also gives us an opening shot  that puts us front and centre of the action and the protagonist's (such as there is one) POV that gets things going from the first second the film begins, a deliciously grotesque premise, and  the most selfish and evil femme fatale ever.

Not to carp  (or ****!), and I'm happy they're showing Decoy at all, but why they have to air it at 6 in the morning, instead of, say, 6 in the evening, tries my patience, maybe because it suggests to me that they assume there wouldn't be much interest in such a film.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the related suggestions on films for the month of December. I decided to add a few additional titles to keep in mind. I have seen all but the last film and, with varying shades of quality, can recommend each for at least a one-off viewing.

Decoy (1946) ~ Wednesday, December 3 ~ 6AM (ET)

Highway 301 (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 3 ~ 7:30AM (ET)

Mystery Street (1950)  ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 1PM (ET)

Destination Murder (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 6AM (ET)

Shadow on the Wall (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 2:45PM (ET)

Side Street (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 4:30PM (ET)

Lightning Strikes Twice (1951)  ~ Monday, December 22 ~ 10:15AM (ET)

Kiss Her Goodbye (1958) ~ Tuesday, December 30 ~ 12:30AM (ET)

Decoy is arguably the strangest film noir ever made. I don't actually agree with whistling gypsy that it's got sci-fi elements, but I understand why he said that. It's more, shall we say, an imagining of a particular medical procedure that does not actually exist, but if it did, boy, would the world be a strange place.

Miss W. ~ I agree with your comment regarding the sci-fi elements; I was searching for a means of describing this addition to the noir canon without giving away too much of the plot. The medical procedure has more in common with a Mary Shelley nightmare, and while it is certainly a unique approach, the element strays wide from the mark in a noir world.
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the related suggestions on films for the month of December. I decided to add a few additional titles to keep in mind. I have seen all but the last film and, with varying shades of quality, can recommend each for at least a one-off viewing.

Decoy (1946) ~ Wednesday, December 3 ~ 6AM (ET)

Highway 301 (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 3 ~ 7:30AM (ET)

Mystery Street (1950)  ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 1PM (ET)

Destination Murder (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 6AM (ET)

Shadow on the Wall (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 2:45PM (ET)

Side Street (1950) ~ Wednesday, December 17 ~ 4:30PM (ET)

Lightning Strikes Twice (1951)  ~ Monday, December 22 ~ 10:15AM (ET)

Kiss Her Goodbye (1958) ~ Tuesday, December 30 ~ 12:30AM (ET)

Miss W. ~ I agree with your comment regarding the sci-fi elements; I was searching for a means of describing this addition to the noir canon without giving away too much of the plot. The medical procedure has more in common with a Mary Shelley nightmare, and while it is certainly a unique approach, the element strays wide from the mark in a noir world.

Wow, Decoy was good. Nuts to me, I missed 40 minutes of it.

But why and how, exactly, was she caught at the end? 

Up until that point, wow what a dame.

• Like 2

People:

Try to find a way to watch or record Decoy tomorrow morning (that's Wednesday December 3rd) at 6 am.

It's a very unusual movie, and well worth viewing.

I'd like to know what others think of it.

Watched it this morning and then recalled having seen it before a few years ago.  Interesting, but not one I would probably watch again-at least not for several years.

I stumbled across DECOY and even though I didn't catch the whole thing, I definitely want to see it again.  It was bizarre and what a femme fatale!  I like the scene where Robert Armstrong's character comes to life and realizes he's alive when he blows out a match.  I am going to record MYSTERY STREET as per your suggestions.  I really like this kind of offbeat stuff.

• Like 2

I stumbled across DECOY and even though I didn't catch the whole thing, I definitely want to see it again.  It was bizarre and what a femme fatale!  I like the scene where Robert Armstrong's character comes to life and realizes he's alive when he blows out a match.  I am going to record MYSTERY STREET as per your suggestions.  I really like this kind of offbeat stuff.

Christine, if you saw the end, how was Gillie's character caught at the end? Why didn't she get away?

No one else here seems to know.

• Like 1

There's a sub-forum created for discussion about film noir and gangster pictures. I don't understand why the noir people have to keep pushing their favorite genre on the General Discussions board. 

I think this thread should be moved over there:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/13-film-noir-gangster/

I'm glad they do (and hope they continuje) because I am a big noir fan, but do not visit the film noir site that often.  I rely on this site for discussions about TCM as a whole and noir is a significant part of it.  I think everybody pushes their favorties to some extent on this site.

I'm glad they do (and hope they continuje) because I am a big noir fan, but do not visit the film noir site that often.  I rely on this site for discussions about TCM as a whole and noir is a significant part of it.  I think everybody pushes their favorties to some extent on this site.

Yes-- but the designers of this message board have set up specific areas for genre-based discussions. There is also an area for films and filmmakers where this thread could also go. I don't feel it belongs at the General Discussions board. I love noir too and I have several threads I started at the sub-forum for noir and gangster pics. But I also love other genres, and I think it is unfair to keep pushing one genre over the other, leading to the indirect suggestion that one style of filmmaking is more classic than others. 

Spoiler Alert \ Spoiler Alert:   DO NOT READ ON IF YOU DON'T WISH TO KNOW HOW DECOY ENDS

Once the doctor and Margot dig up the money box,  Margot shoots the doctor.   Margot returns to her apartment but the doctor is only wounded and goes there and shoots Margot.   The policeman opens the money box to find a single dollar bill with a note from Frankie stating he left the dollar for double-crossers!

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with discussing a particular film, whatever the genre,  on the General Discussions board. It happens all the time......If people arent interested, they dont have to read about it............

• Like 2

There's nothing wrong with discussing a particular film, whatever the genre,  on the General Discussions board. It happens all the time......If people arent interested, they dont have to read about it............

Thank you!

Wow. You said it, TheCid. I never go to the sub forums.

TheCid, ignore this poster. This is the place to be, notice that this particular poster uses the General Discussions board to his heart's content.

This thread should stay right here, and talk about anything else you want.................right here.

P.S. Do you know how Gillie's character got caught at the end and why she didn't get away? One minute she was killing the doc (and boy, he was familiar from some television show) and the next she was on the couch. Huh? I musta missed somethin'! :)

Wow. You said it, TheCid. I never go to the sub forums.

TheCid, ignore this poster. This is the place to be, notice that this particular poster uses the General Discussions board to his heart's content.

This thread should stay right here, and talk about anything else you want.................right here.

Cid can also choose to ignore the above poster. 

Wow, Decoy was good. Nuts to me, I missed 40 minutes of it.

But why and how, exactly, was she caught at the end? 

Up until that point, wow what a dame.

P2: sorry you didn’t have a chance to see the film from the beginning, but are you sure you want to know what could be plot spoilers. I can tell you it wasn’t so much a case of Margo Shelby being caught, as her “well-laid plans” caught up with her. Sheldon Leonard’s character summed up her chances when he told her, “people who use pretty faces like you use yours don’t live very long, anyway.” In a flashback with noir’s hallmark circular narration, Margo unravels her intricate plot as she recalls the events that brought her to the opening scene. Oh the people who suffer for the delusions of a single-minded dame.

• Like 1

Watched it this morning and then recalled having seen it before a few years ago.  Interesting, but not one I would probably watch again-at least not for several years.

TheCid: Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'm glad you caught Decoy (1946) this morning. I'm also intrigued that you remembered having seen this noir in the past. I had only recently learned of the film, and when I was unable to find it on YouTube; I was really pleased to find it on TCM's schedule.

P2: sorry you didn’t have a chance to see the film from the beginning, but are you sure you want to know what could be plot spoilers. I can tell you it wasn’t so much a case of Margo Shelby being caught, as her “well-laid plans” caught up with her. Sheldon Leonard’s character summed up her chances when he told her, “people who use pretty faces like you use yours don’t live very long, anyway.” In a flashback with noir’s hallmark circular narration, Margo unravels her intricate plot as she recalls the events that brought her to the opening scene. Oh the people who suffer for the delusions of a single-minded dame.

Thanks, whistlingypsy, looks like I'll have to be on the lookout for this one again.

TheCid: Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'm glad you caught Decoy (1946) this morning. I'm also intrigued that you remembered having seen this noir in the past. I had only recently learned of the film, and when I was unable to find it on YouTube; I was really pleased to find it on TCM's schedule.

Primosprimos must have me on ignore.   He\she has a lot of people on ignore.  Oh well I was trying to do them a favor by telling them the ending (since they asked for it),   but this is their lost now.