Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chariots of Fire Theme Played in The Black Stallion?

sewhite2000

I swear just now I heard Hoyt Axton as he was doodling on his little recorder in THE BLACK STALLION play the exact notes to the theme from CHARIOTS OF FIRE, a movie that came out two years later. A quick scan of imdb shows no indication that Vangelis had anything to do with the score of THE BLACK STALLION. So ... what's up with that? Am I just now discovering 33 years after the fact that Vangelis totally stole the music for which he won an Oscar?

He plays it as a folk tune, so perhaps Vangelis used it as inspiration for his theme.

Possibly. 

I recently discovered a similar connection between The Story of G. I. Joe and How The West Was Won.

Check the harmonica solo at around the 1:42:05 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSaLIBfeS_E

Now check the tune at around the 50 second mark at this link:

(for some reason, I can't post both videos)

Alfred Newman was no plagiarist, so this tune ("Come Share My Life") is probably some folk song. It was even recorded by Glenn Yarbrough. Here is how it is listed in imdb under How The West Was Won:

Come Share My Life

(1962) (uncredited)

Music and Lyrics by Alfred Newman

Uncredited means composer unknown, So Newman adapted it, as did the composers in The Story of G. I. Joe. As far as I can tell, Newman was not involved with Joe ... but who knows.

I swear just now I heard Hoyt Axton as he was doodling on his little recorder in THE BLACK STALLION play the exact notes to the theme from CHARIOTS OF FIRE, a movie that came out two years later. A quick scan of imdb shows no indication that Vangelis had anything to do with the score of THE BLACK STALLION. So ... what's up with that? Am I just now discovering 33 years after the fact that Vangelis totally stole the music for which he won an Oscar?

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2012/07/six-great-uses-of-the-chariots-of-fire-theme/

if you look at the accompanying text beneath the YouTube video to which I posted a link, it appears Vangelis was sued by the composer of THE BLACK STALLION, but that the judge ruled in favor of Vangelis having composed a completely original work. That seems insane to me, as it's a note-for-note swipe. Huey Lewis won his lawsuit against Ray Parker, Jr., claiming the Ghostbusters theme stole from I Want a New Drug with considerably less similarity than seems to be evident here. I guess the resulting lesson is the law isn't universal; you're completely at the mercy of the mindset and opinions of the presiding judge in your particular case.

Anyway, a fascinating little tidbit of movie history I had no idea I was going to learn about tonight.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings