Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

nitrateville

Big_Bopper

Now watch all the bored to tears nitratevillians show up to read what I think of them.  I seem to remember some expert being hunted out of existence.  Not that I care in the least who they blacklist as I got my own little blacklist world right here.  TCM is dumber or dumber downer.  on ntrtvle -You cannot say certain things even if true.  Like German silents left Hollywood in the dust (AND) so hollywood used their trump card - they bought them out - & no more German films.  Hollywood nuked em.  But Germany got revenge by elevating Hollywood quality post war by Using their trademark shadows to create FILM NOIR.  its all german.

the story of LB Mayer going ape$hit in London and reducing Michael Balcon to an office boy - Balcon made DEAD OF NIGHT as a tribute to Mayer as he is the guy Walter Craig who can't remember his dream.  and Nicholas Nickleby and The Long Arm.

another topic off limits on nitrateville is the true story of how Charlie Chaplin hired a detective to substantiate rumors of a wall street takeover in 1920.  A female agent got a banker drunk & he spilled his guts - which led to UNITED ARTISTS.

Then foaming at the mouth the bankers jumped the gun taking over before sound was perfected (AND) crashing the stock market to pay for it.

THEN if you look all the actors are wearing top hats & worrying about their sons & daughters marrying money.  A disgrace (that you can't say this on nitrateville) AND how Orson Welles was treated after making a great film.  (arent they supposed to?)

And the bankers revenge on Chaplin putting him on trial twice then running him out of US (wasnt he a film genius?)  The penalty for making great films is banishment. (and telling about it)

Yes you can't say it on nitrateville because they got all these gatekeepers making sure no true facts seep thru the mountain of manure the page is. to make assurance doubly sure you're not a self hater.

Uh you can't kick me out cuz I'm already gone.   :lol:

Now watch all the bored to tears nitratevillians show up to read what I think of them.  I seem to remember some expert being hunted out of existence.  Not that I care in the least who they blacklist as I got my own little blacklist world right here.  TCM is dumber or dumber downer.  on ntrtvle -You cannot say certain things even if true.  Like German silents left Hollywood in the dust (AND) so hollywood used their trump card - they bought them out - & no more German films.  Hollywood nuked em.  But Germany got revenge by elevating Hollywood quality post war by Using their trademark shadows to create FILM NOIR.  its all german.

the story of LB Mayer going ape$hit in London and reducing Michael Balcon to an office boy - Balcon made DEAD OF NIGHT as a tribute to Mayer as he is the guy Walter Craig who can't remember his dream.  and Nicholas Nickleby and The Long Arm.

another topic off limits on nitrateville is the true story of how Charlie Chaplin hired a detective to substantiate rumors of a wall street takeover in 1920.  A female agent got a banker drunk & he spilled his guts - which led to UNITED ARTISTS.

Then foaming at the mouth the bankers jumped the gun taking over before sound was perfected (AND) crashing the stock market to pay for it.

THEN if you look all the actors are wearing top hats & worrying about their sons & daughters marrying money.  A disgrace (that you can't say this on nitrateville) AND how Orson Welles was treated after making a great film.  (arent they supposed to?)

And the bankers revenge on Chaplin putting him on trial twice then running him out of US (wasnt he a film genius?)  The penalty for making great films is banishment. (and telling about it)

Yes you can't say it on nitrateville because they got all these gatekeepers making sure no true facts seep thru the mountain of manure the page is. to make assurance doubly sure you're not a self hater.

Uh you can't kick me out cuz I'm already gone.   :lol:

I'm already gone. 

Most of us are.

You know, I like your posts, you're quite a ways out there, but for the life of me, I don't remember you posting like this in your other 363 posts.

Keep up the good work, I like kvetching. ;) 

I'm already gone. 

Most of us are.

You know, I like your posts, you're quite a ways out there, but for the life of me, I don't remember you posting like this in your other 363 posts.

Keep up the good work, I like kvetching. ;) 

Do you know how long it took me to get 300 posts?  15 years. I have my own personal watchdog Fred C so & so hanging on my words & not forgetting his job is to get me off this bored.  If I know more about movies its because I did not fall for the propaganda.

Last Night ----- Mare Nostrum was cut.  The death by firing squad of the heroine was the climax of the movie.  When you cut a movie you show how stupid you are (especially after 100 years.)

Onto the next TCM/WB outrage.  Tomorrow - Tuesday Dec. 2 930 pm pst ----------- THE KILLER IS LOOSE a LB Mayer tribute.

I saw the actual film and the opening credits were different than the propaganda TCM is offering.  The original credits had a cartoon sequence very similar to THE BOSS.  As the music goes a figure very large moves forward.  Its a Man!.... it keeps moving forward until the end of the credits.

TCM/WB replaced this with what I can only describe as unknown garbage.  My take on this is TCM /WB changed the credits to punish the film for being a LB Mayer tribute.  We have laws in this country on art destruction.  Just cause you own it (now) don't give you the right to destroy it.  Budd Boetticher needs no help from TCM to "improve" his movie.  TCM needs to stop showing the obliterated credits NOW!  (if they show the original credits tmro then disregard this)  But they have shown it bogus several times.

I did get kicked out of nitrateville for stating an obvious fact:  Wall Street crashed the stock market to finance their hollywood takover.  Then I got kicked off again because they thought I was the expert they hunted down - Richard so & so.  They've got mods intervening repeatedly on every thread.  They let you know they are there.  Yes I noticed.

Do you know how long it took me to get 300 posts?  15 years. I have my own personal watchdog Fred C so & so hanging on my words & not forgetting his job is to get me off this bored.  If I know more about movies its because I did not fall for the propaganda.

Last Night ----- Mare Nostrum was cut.  The death by firing squad of the heroine was the climax of the movie.  When you cut a movie you show how stupid you are (especially after 100 years.)

Onto the next TCM/WB outrage.  Tomorrow - Tuesday Dec. 2 930 pm pst ----------- THE KILLER IS LOOSE a LB Mayer tribute.

I saw the actual film and the opening credits were different than the propaganda TCM is offering.  The original credits had a cartoon sequence very similar to THE BOSS.  As the music goes a figure very large moves forward.  Its a Man!.... it keeps moving forward until the end of the credits.

TCM/WB replaced this with what I can only describe as unknown garbage.  My take on this is TCM /WB changed the credits to punish the film for being a LB Mayer tribute.  We have laws in this country on art destruction.  Just cause you own it (now) don't give you the right to destroy it.  Budd Boetticher needs no help from TCM to "improve" his movie.  TCM needs to stop showing the obliterated credits NOW!  (if they show the original credits tmro then disregard this)  But they have shown it bogus several times.

I did get kicked out of nitrateville for stating an obvious fact:  Wall Street crashed the stock market to finance their hollywood takover.  Then I got kicked off again because they thought I was the expert they hunted down - Richard so & so.  They've got mods intervening repeatedly on every thread.  They let you know they are there.  Yes I noticed.

Do you know how long it took me to get 300 posts?  15 years. 

Wow! Well, as I said, keep it up.

Did you like him, btw, the Big Bopper I mean? Criminal how he died.

I enjoy nitrateville too. However, I do run across the weird black/white thinker from time to time. A couple of years ago I was commenting on how ioffer was the only way I'd been able to find a particular film that everyone was discussing. Somebody cut in and replied that I was "inhuman slime" for buying a movie from ioffer when Universal had the rights (it was made in 1930) and how I should sit by patiently until Universal puts it out one of those high-priced Universal Vault MODs - still waiting by the way. So you do find some people over there that have some very good in depth knowledge about films from the silent era through the 1940's, but you just have to watch out for the very occasional odd ball. It's pretty much no different than any other discussion board.

I enjoy nitrateville too. However, I do run across the weird black/white thinker from time to time. A couple of years ago I was commenting on how ioffer was the only way I'd been able to find a particular film that everyone was discussing. Somebody cut in and replied that I was "inhuman slime" for buying a movie from ioffer when Universal had the rights (it was made in 1930) and how I should sit by patiently until Universal puts it out one of those high-priced Universal Vault MODs - still waiting by the way. So you do find some people over there that have some very good in depth knowledge about films from the silent era through the 1940's, but you just have to watch out for the very occasional odd ball. It's pretty much no different than any other discussion board.

What is 'ioffer'.   Is it a place that sells copywritten films illegally?    

While I would never call someone inhuman slime,   I don't support the selling or purchacing of someone else's property.   Does that make me an 'odd ball'?     I would say that it just makes me honest and someone that respects property rights.

jamesjazzguitar: ioffer.com has been operating out in the open for years. And thanks for thinking that I am not inhuman slime.

Is there a reason you avoided my question about ioffer?    I don't wish to assume ioffer is selling someone's else property without premission since that is illegal (regardless if they operate out in the open or not).   

I would also thank you for not thinking I'm an odd ball,   but that would be based on another assumption.  :D

PS:  I wrote software that was stolen and this was how I made my living so I admit I'm sensitive on the issue of property rights related to software,  books,  movies,  music (I'm also a musician),  etc...    While I do understand why people would share content,  posting someone elses content on-line is another story.       

Is there a reason you avoided my question about ioffer?    I don't wish to assume ioffer is selling someone's else property without premission since that is illegal (regardless if they operate out in the open or not).   

I would also thank you for not thinking I'm an odd ball,   but that would be based on another assumption.  :D

PS:  I wrote software that was stolen and this was how I made my living so I admit I'm sensitive on the issue of property rights related to software,  books,  movies,  music (I'm also a musician),  etc...    While I do understand why people would share content,  posting someone elses content on-line is another story.       

I didn't realize I was avoiding your question about ioffer. I don't check the copyright of everything I purchase, but I would assume with ioffer operating in the open for years, and the fact that the major studios take down copyrighted content on youtube and police sites that sell copyrighted material, that their wares are not copyrighted. Is that clear enough?

I don't think you are an oddball but I do think you are a bit pedantic on the subject. You say you make your living writing software, and that it was stolen. I see your sensitivity. But suppose you wrote some software that was intended for sale to the public, it fell out of use, the copyright remained, and whatever legal entity that survived you 80 years later refused to exercise their rights over your product and make it available to the public at a price of their choice yet would not let others legally use it? How would you feel about that? (Well, you personally would feel nothing because I assume that 80 years later you would be dead, but you know what I mean.)

IOW, Gone with the Wind is available for sale to anybody who has the price  to buy. Thanks to our friends at the Warner Archive you can even get a copy of the obscure One Night at Susie's. But if you want to view a copy of 1930's Undertow starring Mary Nolan and Johnny Mack Brown produced by Universal, good luck. You'll still be waiting 85 years from now. But I guarantee if somebody puts that film up on youtube it will come down quickly because Universal's completely unused copyright is being violated.

P.S. I may find you pedantic, but I am long-winded, unlikeable, and indirect.

Another website that sells a variety of DVDs, many legitimate studio DVDs and others public domain off video tape, that I can recommend is lovingtheclassics.com.

They're very professional on their website and delivery quite quickly (I used Prioity Mail, though they gave me a discount in advance because that mail serve is quite pricey). I used PayPal for payment. Their website allows you to do a calculation in advance on how much the shipping charges will be. They also supply a telephone number and email so that you can contact them, and I found them to be very cooperative.

My only complaint was that it took them four days to mail the items after I ordered them, and that was after I did a followup email. They do, however, let you know by email when the item has been shipped.

The two obscure titles that I got were both off video tape, with lovingtheclassics own name on the discs. One was a 1941 screwball comedy, World Premiere, with John Barrymore (quality was OK, at least watchable), while the other was A Touch of Larseny, with James Mason (very good quality of a very good comedy).

In some cases their website will allow you to preview the quality of the print that they are selling (this applies to many of their public domain titles). The average price for their public domain titles (the rarest ones to find) is $14.99. To be honest, I wish that was a little bit cheaper but you can't have everything, especially if you really want the film and you know of no other way to get it.

And, no, I'm not at all concerned about the copy right issue for these all-but-impossible titles to find. World Premiere, for example, was a Paramount production. I assume that Universal may own it and couldn't care less because they think the film would be of little value to them if they issued it on DVD (they're probably right). This is the only way I can get a copy of a film I want to see, and I do not feel in the least bit guilty about securing it this way (because, with Universal's attitude, I'll probably never see it any other way).

My biggest concern getting a title this way is in regard to the quality of the image.

I didn't realize I was avoiding your question about ioffer. I don't check the copyright of everything I purchase, but I would assume with ioffer operating in the open for years, and the fact that the major studios take down copyrighted content on youtube and police sites that sell copyrighted material, that their wares are not copyrighted. Is that clear enough?

I don't think you are an oddball but I do think you are a bit pedantic on the subject. You say you make your living writing software, and that it was stolen. I see your sensitivity. But suppose you wrote some software that was intended for sale to the public, it fell out of use, the copyright remained, and whatever legal entity that survived you 80 years later refused to exercise their rights over your product and make it available to the public at a price of their choice yet would not let others legally use it? How would you feel about that? (Well, you personally would feel nothing because I assume that 80 years later you would be dead, but you know what I mean.)

IOW, Gone with the Wind is available for sale to anybody who has the price  to buy. Thanks to our friends at the Warner Archive you can even get a copy of the obscure One Night at Susie's. But if you want to view a copy of 1930's Undertow starring Mary Nolan and Johnny Mack Brown produced by Universal, good luck. You'll still be waiting 85 years from now. But I guarantee if somebody puts that film up on youtube it will come down quickly because Universal's completely unused copyright is being violated.

P.S. I may find you pedantic, but I am long-winded, unlikeable, and indirect.

Thanks for the reply.   I don't see any area where we disagree.    I'm no fan of Universal and how they have treated their 'unused' copyright movies.   Since they don't wish to do anything with them they should lease them for $1 to a company that is willing to restore them (when necessary),  and market them.   To not make them available is the crime in the case of Universal.

But companies that do restore and market their films shouldn't have them stolen by others (e.g. Chinese hackers) just because one can do so.    

It appears ioffers doesn't market films they don't have the permission to market so of course that is fine.  

As for being pedantic;  I fail to see how that is the case.   If I had the knowledge I wouldn't have needed to ask so many dang questions!   

Solider on. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am late to this discussion, so am not aware of all the aspects of this issue.  What I don't understand is why do holders of film copyrights store movies away in vaults and refuse to make them available for purchase or rental?  My assumption is that they want to make money and surely this is not the way to do it.  There are many films that I would pay good money to add to my collection, but cannot.  As for purchasing unauthorized copies, what else is one to do - wait decades for these films to be released, if ever?  Of course, the artists and others who made these films should be compensated; of course, property rights should be respected, and so on and so forth.  But, I will purchase these films where I can find them and be thankful.

On quite another subject, are we not allowed to use the word "d__n" on the message board.  I was writing an earlier version of this, and it disappeared after I typed the above word.

I am late to this discussion, so am not aware of all the aspects of this issue.  What I don't understand is why do holders of film copyrights store movies away in vaults and refuse to make them available for purchase or rental?  My assumption is that they want to make money and surely this is not the way to do it.  There are many films that I would pay good money to add to my collection, but cannot.  As for purchasing unauthorized copies, what else is one to do - wait decades for these films to be released, if ever?  Of course, the artists and others who made these films should be compensated; of course, property rights should be respected, and so on and so forth.  But, I will purchase these films where I can find them and be thankful.

On quite another subject, are we not allowed to use the word "d__n" on the message board.  I was writing an earlier version of this, and it disappeared after I typed the above word.

Perhaps the reason studios do not release movies in their archives is that they do not perceive they would recoup the investment it would take to release it.  I'm sure it is not an inexpensive process.  And how many people are there around to purchase them?

As for damn, let's try it:  damn, damn, damn.

Seems to work for me.

Perhaps the reason studios do not release movies in their archives is that they do not perceive they would recoup the investment it would take to release it.  I'm sure it is not an inexpensive process.  And how many people are there around to purchase them?

As for damn, let's try it:  damn, damn, damn.

Seems to work for me.

Hey, stop with the sound reasoning.   We like our conspiracy theories.      Hey, back in the 80s I used to wonder about why American jazz records from the 50s were not re-released on CD.    The issue was the estimated revenue from the release of the CD didn't cover the cost of re-release.    But at least some of the US record companies sold the rights to Japanese companies since there was enough of a market for 50s US jazz in Japan.     So I had my relatives over in Japan send me catalogues and they would order then and ship them to me.  (this was all before one could get them using Amazon etc...).     

Oh,  and about 10 years ago I was talking to the great jazz drummer Jake Hanna at a house concert we had.   I asked him about all that 'old' stuff he was on and he mentioned that if it was for Japan,  that stuff would be locked in a vault.   He also was thankful that the Japanese companies were so honest with royalty payments.   He said he would get checks out of nowhere (i.e. checks for re-issued work that he had no idea was taking place). 

Is it possible that some of the old movies that aren't  available here could be purchased from sources in Japan?  How would one find out for specific movies?

I don't know if there is more of a demand in Japan for certain American movies then there is here in the USA.  But it sure was the case for 50s jazz music.   Also,  with most jazz music language isn't an issue since there is no singing.    But one thing I didn't mention is that for some of those CDs I got from Japan they didn't have any English text!    So I couldn't read the liner notes.   In most cases the notes were printed in both languages.     (oh,  and a CD would cost about twice as much)

Yes I agree with that.  I collect records.  And american jazz men were amazed to find how popular they were in Japan.  And The Ventures.  I have about 100 jazz singles.  Horace Silver made several songs on Japanese themes like Tokyo Blues, The Dragon Lady, Sayonara Blues etc. and many more.

They bought tons of american vinyl in the late 80's when they were replaced by cds.  I have bought several Japanese singles.  I have one Mission Impossible / Ironsides and a Mancini single Ironsides not issued here.  I bought a Dave Clark 5 ep .  Yes they are expensive.  $22 each.  most of that is postage.

• 2 weeks later...

excuse me for butting in

i am trying to recover my nitrateville web site..i forgot my name and password..can anyone help me..louie despres sent me a messagwe n\but  i am unable to read it without signing in

anyone whocan help me  many thanks

[...]

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited to remove personal information

• 4 weeks later...

thanks very much kid

i am anxiously awaiting a film by tom howard called STATIC

one of the old EDUCATIONAL FILM SERIES

YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP BILL METZ

SORY TO SAY IT DID NOT WORK..THEY BSENTA Password of nonsensicalnumbers and i tried it...will try again

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings