Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

50 years already?

How many caught a PBS special titled "50 Years With Peter, Paul, and Mary"?   The Toledo PBS station showed it last night as part of their pledge drive.

But since I can clearly recall when my step sister bought their first album back in '62, which makes it LONGER than 50 years, I start to feel cricks in my back and a "palsy shake" beginning in my hands! 

This special showed footage and stills of not only their early appearances, but of them performing with, or at least standing along side of, many of the people who ignited my desire to learn to play guitar, or helped to shape my political ans social outlook back in my early adolescence.

Like Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Dave Van Ronk, Tom Paxton, Donovan, Buffy St. Marie, Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, who wrote what most people claim is the pentultimate anthem of the '60's, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"  And also reminded, in one old clip, that the song "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"  was NOT a Roberta Flack tune originally, but an old folk song written by British folkie EWAN MacCOLL back sometime in the late 50's.

If there are any old hippies left and are on this message board, I suggest trying to see this special----just in case you DON'T feel too old already!

Sepiatone

How many caught a PBS special titled "50 Years With Peter, Paul, and Mary"?   The Toledo PBS station showed it last night as part of their pledge drive.

But since I can clearly recall when my step sister bought their first album back in '62, which makes it LONGER than 50 years, I start to feel cricks in my back and a "palsy shake" beginning in my hands! 

This special showed footage and stills of not only their early appearances, but of them performing with, or at least standing along side of, many of the people who ignited my desire to learn to play guitar, or helped to shape my political ans social outlook back in my early adolescence.

Like Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Dave Van Ronk, Tom Paxton, Donovan, Buffy St. Marie, Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, who wrote what most people claim is the pentultimate anthem of the '60's, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"  And also reminded, in one old clip, that the song "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"  was NOT a Roberta Flack tune originally, but an old folk song written by British folkie EWAN MacCOLL back sometime in the late 50's.

If there are any old hippies left and are on this message board, I suggest trying to see this special----just in case you DON'T feel too old already!

Sepiatone

I was floored last week when I heard Jane Fonda was 74!! THAT old already?? gallery_298_17_1226.gif

I never considered myself a hippie, but back then I quickly became a fan of folk music and especially PP&M and I am to this day. Over the years, I must have seen them in concert a dozen times. When we lost Mary Travers, it was like losing a dear old friend.  When I met the lady who would become my wife one of the  things that drew us together was our mutual passion for folk and PP&M. :)

They made folk music more accessable to more people.  They did believe in most of the causes they sang for and about.  But, it was their inoffensive expression that made more people listen to the message more closely.  I've never seen them live, but had several of their LPs, and was always enamored of their stylized harmonies.  Just a beautiful match, and just about EVRYbody liked them!  And their gladly doing the songs of others in the folk realm made more people aware of who THEY were as well.  Many people I know never heard of Pete Seeger before until P,P&M would sing one of his songs.  Same with Phil Ochs.

Sepiatone

I was floored last week when I heard Jane Fonda was 74!! THAT old already?? gallery_298_17_1226.gif

Jane is 76! She'll be 77 this month............

Yikes, she has became her father (already!)

Henry-Fonda-in-On-Golden-Pond.jpg

LOL. She looks a bit better............