Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So What Happened to the Crosby-Sinatra Thread?

TomJH

It appears to be no longer accessible, at least, not through the usual method of clicking on the title. You have to click on Page 2 to gain access now and, even then, you still can't get to the latest comments (Page One). At least, that's the way it is with me and, I assume, everybody else.

Perhaps this is a new way for the TCM Message Board to close down a thread. ;)   

Bing and Frank would not be pleased. And Frank, in particular, was not a man to be displeased.

:angry:

1161_zpsb378f502.jpg

It's been 50 years now (it's not really 2014 . . . it's 2064) and both entertainers are now forgotten. 

Boy, that was a fast 50 years! Just seems like yesterday that most TCM posters thought that Sinatra's name would be bigger than Crosby's by now.

It's as if we took a trip with the TCM Christmas Ghost of the Future! :)

It appears to be no longer accessible, at least, not through the usual method of clicking on the title. You have to click on Page 2 to gain access now and, even then, you still can't get to the latest comments (Page One). At least, that's the way it is with me and, I assume, everybody else.

Perhaps this is a new way for the TCM Message Board to close down a thread. ;)   

Bing and Frank would not be pleased. And Frank, in particular, was not a man to be displeased.

:angry:

1161_zpsb378f502.jpg

The last I recall, I was comparing Bowie to U2. Maybe that was the problem. Somebody doesn't like the Thin White Duke.

I think this means the other thread will not be able to remain on page one, if nobody can open it and reply to it.

Didn't it seem like it was starting to turn into a war between Crosby's fan base and Sinatra's fan base-- beginning to veer away from an open-minded discussion?

I am sure that there are people who enjoy both performers equally. 

I think this means the other thread will not be able to remain on page one, if nobody can open it and reply to it.

Didn't it seem like it was starting to turn into a war between Crosby's fan base and Sinatra's fan base-- beginning to veer away from an open-minded discussion?

I am sure that there are people who enjoy both performers equally. 

I'm blaming DGF;   He has the last post there.    Really,  at first I assumed he posted some link that caused some type of system issue.

BUT then I said to myself; Self,  DGF only posts one-liners so that can't be the reason!

Oh, well,  Frank was beating Bing to a plup so maybe it was time to close that one out!   (just joking Tom,  I found the topic an interesting one).

Oh, well,  Frank was beating Bing to a plup so maybe it was time to close that one out!  

Tsk, tsk.

50 years from now, James, I hope you're around to see the wisdom of my prognostication.  

Mind you, good health permitting, you'll be happy to just be around, playing your Crosby records thinking, "Well, ba-ba-ba-boo, that Tom was right, after all." ;)

I can access every page but the most recent one. Seems some link screws up the page loading.

My opinion:

Frank's personality is part of his legacy-aside from his singing & acting talents. He will most probably be known by future generations first because of his personal life, being part of the "Rat Pack". Hopefully, his singing career will come forward from that-especially his golden voiced years with Dorsey. (his voice quickly deteriorated after that)

Bing definitely has the better pipes, a fantastic, solid voice. His acting was ok, but not much of a stretch. Although I find him a great entertainer, I think he may come across "too corny" for future generations who are more engrossed with "edginess" in a performer.

Judy Garland's talent falls within that "corny" confines too, only she died young of drug addiction....making her just fascinating, sadly.

I can access every page but the most recent one. Seems some link screws up the page loading.

My opinion:

Frank's personality is part of his legacy-aside from his singing & acting talents. He will most probably be known by future generations first because of his personal life, being part of the "Rat Pack". Hopefully, his singing career will come forward from that-especially his golden voiced years with Dorsey. (his voice quickly deteriorated after that)

Bing definitely has the better pipes, a fantastic, solid voice. His acting was ok, but not much of a stretch. Although I find him a great entertainer, I think he may come across "too corny" for future generations who are more engrossed with "edginess" in a performer.

Judy Garland's talent falls within that "corny" confines too, only she died young of drug addiction....making her just fascinating, sadly.

Bing smoked a pipe. I guess that led to "better pipes"........ Interestingly, though Dean Martin was Sinatra's crony, he adopted his singing style from Crosby.

I have an entry coming up on the It Happened on This Day thread re: Bing. Apparently, he was forced to pay out (big money) for a car accident he caused in the 1950s. I wonder if it was alcohol-related...anyone know?

There's a photo on e-bay of the victims who sued him:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A10-1954-Crooner-Bing-Crosby-Defendant-Million-Dollar-Car-Damage-Suit-Photo-/351037814038

I have an entry coming up on the It Happened on This Day thread re: Bing. Apparently, he was forced to pay out (big money) for a car accident he caused in the 1950s. I wonder if it was alcohol-related...anyone know?

There's a photo on e-bay of the victims who sued him:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A10-1954-Crooner-Bing-Crosby-Defendant-Million-Dollar-Car-Damage-Suit-Photo-/351037814038

Going after "deep pockets", I presume.

Going after "deep pockets", I presume.

Well, he lost the case and was forced to shell out the dough. So I am guessing the police corroborated the victims' claims. 

There is very little written about this online. I wonder if his studio (Paramount) tried to hush it up.

I think you are trying to make a comment about the politics of my government. I don't think we're supposed to bring politics into the discussions around here. Also, you are a guest on a U.S.-owned business website. So I think that's a very improper post to make here.

Nope. A comment on the word I hear in American media more than any other.

War on crime, war on poverty, war on Christmas, war on drugs, war on marriage, war on women, war on the middle-class, war on religion, war on freedom, war against Communism, war of words, war of opinions, war of the sexes, war....... well, you get the idea. Seems to be the favorite concept, if not the favorite word.

You said you had me on ignore, so go pick a fight with someone else.

Not sure why that other Crosby/Sinatra thread isn't working.  We are investigating.

Thanks very much, TCMModerator.

The thread was undoubtedly winding itself down anyway. However, I'm sure that your tech wizards want to know the reason for the glitch, if only to prevent it from occurring on other threads, as well.

Let's switch to something more light hearted, but STILL a bit Bing related---

Back in the 1970's, and before Bing died, a local Detroit area man tried to sue "Der Bingle" because the man wanted to become a professional singer.  But every time he'd audition for a gig, he'd be told he sounded too much like Bing Crosby.  He tried to sue Crosby for making his attempt at making a living as a singer difficult.  Of course, it was quickly thrown out of court.  MY curiosity wandered into the arena of wondering WHAT he expected CROSBY to do about it?  Or HOW he thought it was CROSBY'S fault he had a similar voice?

And HOW did he find a lawyer to TAKE THE CASE?

Sepiatone

I think you are trying to use my harmless post to make a comment about the politics of my government. I don't think we're supposed to bring politics into the discussions around here. Also, you are a guest on a U.S.-owned business website. So I think that's a very improper post to make here.

Say what? You okay, TB?

War of the Worlds......Man O'War.....War of the Roses.....War, what is it good for, absolutely nuthin', huh!....................... :D

Nope. A comment on the word I hear in American media more than any other.

War on crime, war on poverty, war on Christmas, war on drugs, war on marriage, war on women, war on the middle-class, war on religion, war on freedom, war against Communism, war of words, war of opinions, war of the sexes, war....... well, you get the idea. Seems to be the favorite concept, if not the favorite word.

You said you had me on ignore, so go pick a fight with someone else.

primosprimos beat me to it. I wanted to say, "War!....hunh!....What is it good for ?!"

Listen here, listen to me.... good gawd!

Also, listen to theese:

Here are a few interesting facts about the making of Robin and the 7 Hoods, the last of the "Rat Pack" films aired by TCM yesterday:

Peter Lawford was originally cast as Alan A. Dale, but was replaced with Bing Crosby following a break in Sinatra's relationship with Lawford. The break stemmed from a scheduled visit to Sinatra's home by Lawford's brother-in-law, President John F. Kennedy during a 1963 West Coast trip. Attorney General Robert Kennedy, who was long concerned about Sinatra's rumored ties with underworld figures, encouraged the President to change his plans and stay at Crosby's home, which (it was maintained) could provide better security for the President. The change came at the last minute, after Sinatra made extensive arrangements for the promised and eagerly awaited presidential visit, including the construction of a helipad. Sinatra was furious, believing that Lawford had failed to intercede with the Kennedys on his behalf, and ostracized him from the Rat Pack. Sinatra and Lawford never spoke again, and Sinatra never endorsed another Democratic candidate. Ironically, Crosby, a staunch Republican, ended up cast in Lawford's role.

According to Robert Osborne, primary host for Turner Classic Movies, this was a very troubled production for Sinatra due to two outside events, so much so that he considered not completing the film. Close friend President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and Sinatra's son, Frank Sinatra, Jr., was kidnapped and held for ransom only weeks later.

Ironically the day of Kennedy's assassination was the same day in which a funeral was staged on the set of Robin and the 7 Hoods.

In addition to Wiki''s info, I also find the opening scene of Robin interesting. It features an unbilled Edward G. Robinson at a banquet staged for him by some gangster cronies who, promptly, pull a surprise and knock him off with a battery of bullets.

It's difficult to see this scene without thinking of a similar one staged just a few years before by Billy Wilder for his legendary comedy Some Like It Hot, in which gangster George Raft is knocked off with a surprise bursting from a giant birthday cake (a gangster with a tommy gun).

The hood that knocks off Raft is played by Edward G. Robinson Jr. and the actor that Wilder had originally sought to play the role of Raft's rival, Little Napoleon, was, in fact, the same Eddie Robinson that we see at the beginning of Robin and the 7 Hoods. Too bad Eddie G. couldn't have been in both productions.

Robinson and Raft didn't like one another off screen. I've always wondered if it was a Wilder inside joke in Some Like It Hot when Raft's final words, after being killed by Eddie G.'s son, were, "Some joke."

MaYbe Sinatra's underworld connections interceded and took the thread out, you know, the same one's that cut off the horse's head thereby ensuring he got to do FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. :D

You mean my insistence that Crosby's fame would outlast Frank's had them worried? :rolleyes:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings