Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which has more lasting fame, a singer or an actor?

MovieMadness

So assume we have two individuals who were only a singer or an actor but achieved the same amount of fame. Which fame has lasted longer many years later?

And this can also be multiple choice, as they could lose it at the same rate too. But it has to be one of the three, at least it seems that way.

PS I wish this site let us have polls in the first post.

So assume we have two individuals who were only a singer or an actor but achieved the same amount of fame. Which fame has lasted longer many years later?

And this can also be multiple choice, as they could lose it at the same rate too. But it has to be one of the three, at least it seems that way.

PS I wish this site let us have polls in the first post.

As a general rule, I'd say the actor.  Sinatra and Presley are the only singers from the 50's with any real name recognition these days among people much under 65 or 70, whereas there are plenty of actors whose names are still at least quite well known if not iconic.

Interesting question.  I'm inclined to say that an actor would have more lasting fame than a singer. 

Typically, music as it ages, gets sequestered to a genre specific station for older music-- like the oldies station, classic rock, big band, etc.  With music, if you aren't current then the music won't get as much airplay on the mainstream stations.  However, nowadays, listening to music on the radio is somewhat passe.  The way to get new music across is with iTunes releases, the Shazaam app, iHeart radio promotions, YouTube, social media... Of course, new music is released on radio stations across country; but typically the station is allied with another entity that further promotes the music, e.g. all the "iHeart Radio" stations across country.  Thankfully, something good that has resulted from the popularity of iTunes, iHeart radio, Pandora, etc. is that older artists are being discovered-- which if someone hears a song they like, uses the Shazaam app on their phone to find out who the artist is and the name of the song, they are brought directly to iTunes where they can purchase the song for their iPod, iPhone, etc. Case in point, while shopping in a Cost Plus World Market one day, I heard a song that I really liked.  I couldn't quite place who it was or what the name of the song was, I just liked how it sounded.  I used the Shazaam app on my phone and found out it was Dean Martin's "Sway."  While I was already a fan of Martin, I didn't know about this song.  I may have gone off on a tangent here; but the point I was trying to make is that if songs aren't current and new, they tend to be forgotten unless someone seeks out older music, but recently thanks to social networking and the internet, the older artists are being rediscovered and hopefully this will help them gain or at least maintain their fame. 

I'm inclined to think that an actor would maintain their fame only because older films and actors are often revered at public events, like the Oscars, AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards, Golden Globes, etc. Award shows often put together montages of film clips to honor a specific genre of film, or what not (for example, a montage of great romantic moments from cinema).  Older actors are invited to present awards or are honored for their life's work or participation in a great film classic that is celebrating an anniversary.  It seems to me, that Hollywood for the most part, keeps their major stars (past and present) in the forefront of the industry.  Many theaters in my area (and I'm sure all over the world) will continually feature older films on one of their screens.  Someone who has always wanted to see Casablanca for example, may see that their local theater is showing it one week only and decide to see it.  This experience may snowball into them wanting to see more Bogart films, which leads them to a showing of The Big Sleep in which they're introduced to Lauren Bacall and so on and so forth. 

Of course, for a singer or an actor to resonate with anyone, that person has to have an interest in seeking them out and/or at least learning.  If someone has no interest in old music or old films, then that artist will not mean anything to them.

For example, if we're comparing the lasting fame of Humphrey Bogart to The Beatles (which I think would be a fairly equal comparison); then I'd have to call it a draw.  Of course, Bogart has been gone for 57 years now and The Beatles haven't been a band for 44 years.  However, Paul and Ringo are still active and able to keep the Beatles in the forefront of the public-- Paul and Ringo are revered just for being former Beatles.  Perhaps in this case, since the Beatles are able to remain relevant and current, then the singer has more lasting fame.  Someone who has been gone a long time, like Elvis for example, may be more equal to Bogart in terms of lasting fame.

I may have just contradicted myself or gone around in a big circle--there are so many variables that could affect lasting fame.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings