Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Housemaid (Hanyo) 1960

Notan

Has anyone else seen The Housemaid (Hanyo) 1960, written and directed by Ki-young Kim? I watched it last night.

Some thoughts:

1. It looks like the restoration folks got to it just in time in a few places.
  2. I’m glad they did.
  3. My grateful thanks to Martin Scorsese and the World Cinema Foundation. I plan to watch all of the films they’ve restored.
  4. It’s interesting to see other cultures as they were represented in films. I wonder if the film gave a fairly reliable representation of most people’s lives and identities being so closely linked to the companies they worked for.
  5. Dang! Those were some viciously manipulative women! Even the most scheming and manipulative female characters in US film in the 60s were kittens compared to these ladies.  

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

1. What the heck is up with the bizarre little whatever-the-heck-it-was, and the broken forth wall at the end of the film? Was that a standard part of Korean filmmaking in the early 60s? One minute I was watching the end of a pretty good movie, then I wasn’t sure what I was watching, and then I get a lecture from the protagonist. I thought I had drifted off and woken up in a Korean “Don’t Be a Mister Bungle” PSA.

Enough for now.

yeah, loved it :D

here's more from July '14, when TCM aired it:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/49636-the-housemaidholy-rat-poison/?hl=housemaid

Thanks, Mr.6s.

I have to say that the search engine on this site leaves a whole lot to be desired. I searched for "Housemaid" before I wrote my post, but found nothing. I also did some digging on the site, but didn't see anything.

To add to the faux pas of a redundant post, after I posted it, I noticed that I put it in the wrong sub-forum as well: faux pas number two – or perhaps, faux pas de deux.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Mr.6s.

I have to say that the search engine on this site leaves a whole lot to be desired. I searched for "Housemaid" before I wrote my post, but found nothing. I also did some digging on the site, but didn't see anything.

To add to the faux pas of a redundant post, after I posted it, I noticed that I put it in the wrong sub-forum as well: faux pas number two – or perhaps, faux pas de deux.

Thanks again.

the forum you picked was JUST FINE! Don't let any 'genre zealots' start making you paranoid!! :lol:

and the search feature's always been a bit wonky.  Only reason I found it was that I remembered having posted in it.

P.S. I've been appreciative of your posts. They're intelligent observations AND actually about MOVIES?!!

Now whouda thunkit ?!!!!

:wacko:

the forum you picked was JUST FINE! Don't let any 'genre zealots' start making you paranoid!! :lol:

and the search feature's always been a bit wonky.  Only reason I found it was that I remembered having posted in it.

P.S. I've been appreciative of your posts. They're intelligent observations AND actually about MOVIES?!!

Now whouda thunkit ?!!!!

:wacko:

Thanks for the kind words, Mr.6s.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings