Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interview with Olivia deHavilland...Garden and Gun magazine?

traceyk65

It's lovely to see Olivia at age 98 giving an interview. However, I suspect that most that can be said about the making of GWTW has been said.

On the other hand, there may well still be some aspects to Olivia's relationship with Errol Flynn that remain unknown. I don't expect her to ever admit to an affair - if there was one - not after all this time.

Olivia is very much a closed off, private lady who seems to only very carefully, after all these years of retirement, reveal anything new about her Hollywood years, certainly of a personal nature. She's very aware of the image of herself that she likes to project. More than a few people believe, feisty, tough lady that she proved to be in her private life (ask Jack Warner), she has largely adopted the identity of Melanie Hamilton as her public persona.

And Melanie was a person that I can't envision revealing an indiscretion of any kind.

It's lovely to see Olivia at age 98 giving an interview. However, I suspect that most that can be said about the making of GWTW has been.

On the other hand, there may well still be some aspects to Olivia's relationship with Errol Flynn that remain unknown. I don't expect her to ever admit to an affair - if there was one - not after all this time.

Olivia is very much a closed off, private lady who seems to only very carefully, after all these years of retirement, reveal anything new about her Hollywood years, certainly of a personal nature. She's very aware of the image of herself that she likes to project. More than a few people believe, feisty, tough lady that she proved to be in her private life (ask Jack Warner), she has largely adopted the identity of Melanie Hamilton as her public persona.

And Melanie was a person that I can't envision revealing an indiscretion of any kind.

Well maybe Olivia doesn't reveal an indiscretion because she didn't have any.    

• Like 2

I agree. I think her sexiest leading man was a young Richard Burton in MY COUSIN RACHEL. But I am not going to run around hoping they had an affair. Just watching them interact on screen is enough for me.

That may well be. I did say IF there was an affair. Speculation about Olivia and Errol has been in circulation for years. And it will undoubtedly remain that way.

Flynn wrote that he had been in love with her at one point, while she, even in recent years, has acknowledged having had strong, very real feelings for him. Not knowing for certain their full off screen story may, in fact, add to their mystique as a screen couple.

I'm not particularly interested in Olivia de Havilland one way or the other, but I had to click on the link just to prove to myself that there really is a magazine called "Garden and Gun"!  

What's next?   "Penelope Hobhouse's Buckshot Recipes"?   Backwards reels the mind. B)

Olivia mentionned to Michael Caine in his own autobiography,she lost her virginity to Errol,she even mentionned and showed the hill where it all happened,she was much in love with him and Flynn also loved her,but she was worried about his pals,his hard living and many temptations women would give him.Michael Caine mentionned this in his bio,it was nothing sensationnal for him and had nothing to gain mentionning this,he told the item like a gentleman .So yes,Errol Flynn and Olivia were a couple,she got involved with Wyler later.

Olivia later dismissed Caine's statement.

I can't recall the specifics of her denial, but it had something to do with her having made reference to Caine while pointing to the famous Hollywood sign in the LA hills and saying that that is where a "bet" was won. She said that Caine misinterpreted her statement thinking that the "bet" involved Flynn but it did not.

Whatever . . . who knows.

Olivia later dismissed Caine's statement.

I can't recall the specifics of her denial, but it had something to do with her having made reference to Caine while pointing to the famous Hollywood sign in the LA hills and saying that that is where a "bet" was won. She said that Caine misinterpreted her statement thinking that the "bet" involved Flynn but it did not.

Did the lady let down her guard for once and reveal too much to Caine, only to try to cover it up later?

Whatever . . . who knows.

I'm not particularly interested in Olivia de Havilland one way or the other, but I had to click on the link just to prove to myself that there really is a magazine called "Garden and Gun"!  

What's next?   "Penelope Hobhouse's Buckshot Recipes"?   Backwards reels the mind. B)

Yes, boggles the mind! I'd never heard of this magazine. (LOL).

Looking at the OP, it is clear the intent of this thread was to discuss Olivia and her recent interview. Very quickly it jumped to a conversation about Errol Flynn. There are plenty of Flynn threads already, and this suggests that he was the only costar she had of any renown. Not true. Her leading men only improved after her films with Flynn-- Lew Ayres, Montgomery Clift, Richard Burton, John Forsythe, Robert Mitchum, Alan Ladd, Dirk Bogarde and James Caan to name a few.

Looking at the OP, it is clear the intent of this thread was to discuss Olivia and her recent interview. Very quickly it jumped to a conversation about Errol Flynn. There are plenty of Flynn threads already, and this suggests that he was the only costar she had of any renown. Not true. Her leading men only improved after her films with Flynn-- Lew Ayres, Montgomery Clift, Richard Burton, John Forsythe, Robert Mitchum, Alan Ladd, Dirk Bogarde and James Caan to name a few.

I think it's up to the OP to say if she is upset with the direction of the thread.

This thread is still very much about Olivia.

Honestly, Im perfectly Ok with the direction the thread takes--it's always interesting to see just how far things can drift in a very short time... ;)  I think a lot of people are interested in "Errolivia" beasue they had such good chemistry onscreen and were an established on-screen couple who made a lot of darn good movies together. I remember reading that a lot of these screen teams were assumed to be dating or married and that people back in the day were sometimes very upset and/or confused  to find out that they had other partners off screen. One anecdote that comes to mind involves William Powell and Myrna Loy--they were in San Fancisco filming one of the Thin Man movies and they hotel automatically booked them into the same room! 

I too wondered how a magazine like "Guns and Gardens" would get an interview with deHavilland and why they would want one? Maybe it's Southern?  Call me regionalist, but it sure sounds Southern...

Honestly, Im perfectly Ok with the direction the thread takes--it's always interesting to see just how far things can drift in a very short time... ;)  I think a lot of people are interested in "Errolivia" beasue they had such good chemistry onscreen and were an established on-screen couple who made a lot of darn good movies together. I remember reading that a lot of these screen teams were assumed to be dating or married and that people back in the day were sometimes very upset and/or confused  to find out that they had other partners off screen. One anecdote that comes to mind involves William Powell and Myrna Loy--they were in San Fancisco filming one of the Thin Man movies and they hotel automatically booked them into the same room! 

I too wondered how a magazine like "Guns and Gardens" would get an interview with deHavilland and why they would want one? Maybe it's Southern?  Call me regionalist, but it sure sounds Southern...

It appears to be Southern based on the ads that pop up (e.g. Talk of the South) and other clues.   Of course Gone With the Wind is THE all time movie for that part of the country so it makes sense why they would feature Olivia.

Still Gardens and Guns is rather odd.  But it is a great marketing angle.   There is something there for the entire family.    

It appears to be Southern based on the ads that pop up (e.g. Talk of the South) and other clues.   Of course Gone With the Wind is THE all time movie for that part of the country so it makes sense why they would feature Olivia.

Still Gardens and Guns is rather odd.  But it is a great marketing angle.   There is something there for the entire family.    

Entire family? Maybe if the family lives on the grounds of Ft. Bragg, North Carolina.

• Like 1

A real mom and pop affair.  Dad does the gardening, while mom hauls it to the gun range.

I, too, am curious about Garden and Gun magazine.  The website looks fancier than the title would suggest.  When I read the title, I was picturing an angry farmer with a shot gun busting out of his house to shoot the rabbit who was ravaging his lettuce crop or something.  Definitely not an image I'd associate with Olivia de Havilland.  Good for her that at 98, she's still granting interviews and she looks fantastic!  That'd be great if Robert Osborne could do a special Private Screenings with her before it's too late--even if he has to travel to Paris to interview her, I think it'd be a great coup for TCM. 

I've read that Olivia is the actress who slipped Errol tongue (as a joke) during a romantic scene they did together.  Flynn, in his autobiography, being too gentlemanly to name names (I suppose) only stated that a well known actress shoved her tongue down his throat and it caught him off guard.  From then on, he did his kissing scenes with his mouth closed.  I don't know for sure if she really was the actress to whom Flynn was referring, but whoever that lady is/was, was damn lucky.  Olivia is a lucky woman to have gotten to do so many romantic scenes with him.  I will say that their love scene in Maid Marian's room in The Adventures of Robin Hood and the last scene they ever did together in They Died With Their Boots On are probably the best two scenes they ever did. 

Aside from Olivia's films with Errol, I really liked her villainous turn in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and her performance in The Heiress.  I thought she was also good in Roman Holiday's predecessor, Princess O'Rourke.  There are so many of de Havilland's films I haven't seen, I look forward to watching them in the future.  I've been wanting to see Strawberry Blonde forever now, because it features one of my favorites, Rita Hayworth, but also de Havilland and James Cagney (who I've been trying to see more of).  I wish it would repeat on TCM.  I may just break down and buy it on WB Shop Archives, I just want to make sure I know that I'll like it.

I, too, am curious about Garden and Gun magazine.  The website looks fancier than the title would suggest.  When I read the title, I was picturing an angry farmer with a shot gun busting out of his house to shoot the rabbit who was ravaging his lettuce crop or something.  Definitely not an image I'd associate with Olivia de Havilland.  Good for her that at 98, she's still granting interviews and she looks fantastic!  That'd be great if Robert Osborne could do a special Private Screenings with her before it's too late--even if he has to travel to Paris to interview her, I think it'd be a great coup for TCM. 

I've read that Olivia is the actress who slipped Errol tongue (as a joke) during a romantic scene they did together.  Flynn, in his autobiography, being too gentlemanly to name names (I suppose) only stated that a well known actress shoved her tongue down his throat and it caught him off guard.  From then on, he did his kissing scenes with his mouth closed.  I don't know for sure if she really was the actress to whom Flynn was referring, but whoever that lady is/was, was damn lucky.  Olivia is a lucky woman to have gotten to do so many romantic scenes with him.  I will say that their love scene in Maid Marian's room in The Adventures of Robin Hood and the last scene they ever did together in They Died With Their Boots On are probably the best two scenes they ever did. 

Aside from Olivia's films with Errol, I really liked her villainous turn in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and her performance in The Heiress.  I thought she was also good in Roman Holiday's predecessor, Princess O'Rourke.  There are so many of de Havilland's films I haven't seen, I look forward to watching them in the future.  I've been wanting to see Strawberry Blonde forever now, because it features one of my favorites, Rita Hayworth, but also de Havilland and James Cagney (who I've been trying to see more of).  I wish it would repeat on TCM.  I may just break down and buy it on WB Shop Archives, I just want to make sure I know that I'll like it.

I once dated a woman who was in the centerfold of "Garden and Gub". (My homage to Woody Allen's TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings