Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody watch "PETER PAN-LIVE!"?

markfp2

I was really impressed by that show. Technically it was far more complicated and better executed than last year's live production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Can't say I was overwhelmed by Christopher Walken's interpretation of Captain Hook, but I found it fun to watch him dance.

To me Allison Williams stole the show as Peter Pan and the rest of the cast including the kids were just great. I thought the flying was extremely well done. Thanks go to NBC for bringing back live TV in such a spectacular way.

I was switching back and forth from this to the scenes in New York City.  It seemed pretty good, no embarrassing bits, adequate singing, nice family entertainment.   The croc was pretty cute. 

Having gone to school with the Rigby family kids I can't watch Peter Pan.  I was close to Cathy Rigby's brother Jeff (Cathy was older).

One day ABC had a 'night with the Rigby family';    We got Jeff so drunk and stoned it was a hoot (yea, I was a punk as a teen!).   For some reason Cathy was never very friendly to us after that.   

I didn't see it.  But when viewing the ADS for it, I asked my wife----

"I wonder----does the actress that plays Peter Pan have a son that will grow to adulthood and try to get into movies, have a few bit parts in one or two, then star in a TV show that will be a hit for  five years----then eight years later, do ANOTHER TV show that will be a hit for 13 years?

Sepiatone

Having gone to school with the Rigby family kids I can't watch Peter Pan.  I was close to Cathy Rigby's brother Jeff (Cathy was older).

One day ABC had a 'night with the Rigby family';    We got Jeff so drunk and stoned it was a hoot (yea, I was a punk as a teen!).   For some reason Cathy was never very friendly to us after that.   

That would tend to sour one on it.   :)

finally saw recording, wasn't overwhelmed. :(

lavish, almost overly colorful, shaky camera work, perhaps overly ambitious production for one-shot live performance.

Ms. Williams seemed adequate, good accent, nice voice, just maybe not 'tomboyish' enough?

(other than tradition, don't know why they just don't cast a young man)

the biggest downer was Walken as 'Hook'.

no accent, no life or apparent fun in performance at all. Just no panache!

in a basically 2 character star piece, if the villain's ineffectual, the whole piece loses out.

'Hook' may not need a great voice, just 'personality'. Maybe a Martin Short, Steve Martin or ......?

then again, maybe nothing would compare with my child's memory of the old Mary Martin/Cyril Ritchard tv version ;)

still glad to see a network's attempt at airing live performances of any theatricals. Again, maybe this was just too ambitous for a one-shot with rather inexperienced performers?

..still glad to see a network's attempt at airing live performances of any theatricals. Again, maybe this was just too ambitous for a one-shot with rather inexperienced performers?

I watched about 5 minutes of the encore performance - where Peter Pan is sitting on the end of a long picnic table singing, then stands and walks down the table toward a young blonde haired girl at the opposite end.

I had no preconceived notions, but It seemed quite unremarkable to me. Mediocre, at best (with emphasis on uninspired) - IMO.

I would much rather have watched an older version of The Nutcracker (play ballet). I seem to remember one was aired on a major network way, way, wayyy back in the mid to late 60s.

Oops! I did mean to say ballet - not play. Thank you. I do not get Ovation, so that's out. Maybe I can find something..

I was really impressed by that show. Technically it was far more complicated and better executed than last year's live production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Can't say I was overwhelmed by Christopher Walken's interpretation of Captain Hook, but I found it fun to watch him dance.

To me Allison Williams stole the show as Peter Pan and the rest of the cast including the kids were just great. I thought the flying was extremely well done. Thanks go to NBC for bringing back live TV in such a spectacular way.

I caught the live presentation at the beginning and even recorded it...but I ceased operations after about 5 minutes. simply not worth my time. I don't hold with the sexist notion that just because mary martin was so good, peter pan has to be played by a woman. peter pan is suppose to be a boy. walt disney animated peter pan and voiced him with bobby driscoll, good for him. allison williams tried but I have to agree, not tomboyish enough. :)

I caught the live presentation at the beginning and even recorded it...but I ceased operations after about 5 minutes. simply not worth my time. I don't hold with the sexist notion that just because mary martin was so good, peter pan has to be played by a woman. peter pan is suppose to be a boy. walt disney animated peter pan and voiced him with bobby driscoll, good for him. allison williams tried but I have to agree, not tomboyish enough. :)

But we STILL don't know if her SON will be a star to future generations, ala Larry Hagman, son of MARY MARTIN, the Peter Pan of MY childhood!

Sepiatone

from TIME article:

"In fact, it’s been an even century since Nina Boucicault played the starring role in the original 1904 London production, which came to New York the following year with Maude Adams in the lead. As Slate has reported, there were several reasons to cast women in the role, from the logistics of dealing with child-labor laws to the thought that an adult man wouldn’t seem boyish enough and a real boy wouldn’t be capable. Furthermore, casting an adult as Peter meant the child actors around her could be relatively older too. And the actresses cast as Peter were fully on board with the decision: TIME reported in 1950 that, in her day, Adams would leave the theater in costume, so as not to let young fans know she was a grown-up and a woman."

more info here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/01/23/peter_pan_played_by_a_woman_why_a_history_of_casting_the_j_m_barrie_character.html

Archived