Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Warning Points

ElCid

What are Warning Points?  Under my name, image, etc., it says I have 0 Warning Points.  Can't see where anybody else has any.

Don't recall having received any negative comments or warnings from the Moderators.

Maybe it means I have zero and everybody else has some?  Is there a limit before something happens?

I have contacted moderators twice, but no response.

What are Warning Points?  Under my name, image, etc., it says I have 0 Warning Points.  Can't see where anybody else has any.

Don't recall having received any negative comments or warnings from the Moderators.

Maybe it means I have zero and everybody else has some?  Is there a limit before something happens?

I think there are several features they haven't implemented (yet). Maybe I am mistaken, but I also thought there was a way to set up polls in the posts-- I am still learning all the ins and outs of the message boards since the upgrade. Aren't you?

Since I see the same line under my own name but not under yours or any other person, I can only assume that it's intended to be seen only by the person in question and not by anyone else.  I haven't lost much sleep over it.

As for why these messages appear, I have no idea.

Since I see the same line under my own name but not under yours or any other person, I can only assume that it's intended to be seen only by the person in question and not by anyone else.  I haven't lost much sleep over it.

As for why these messages appear, I have no idea.

I also don't lose any sleep over things like this.  But hey, we're not paranoid!    Clearly some people are,  but based on reading their post when they feel the moderator is after them there are valid reasons for that.

The Warning Points is a generous system of warning people to BE MORE POLITE. So they won't have to ban someone outright, with no warning.

If you get one or two warning points, you'd better start being very nice for a while. :)

Also, I think now they can ban for a few days, weeks, or months, rather than altogether.

With this new system, and the system of locking threads and deleting threads, we've had a lot FEWER fights on this board, and that is GOOD. :)

• Like 1

The Warning Points is a generous system of warning people to BE MORE POLITE. So they won't have to ban someone outright, with no warning.

If you get one or two warning points, you'd better start being very nice for a while. :)

Also, I think now they can ban for a few days, weeks, or months, rather than altogether.

With this new system, and the system of locking threads and deleting threads, we've had a lot FEWER fights on this board, and that is GOOD. :)

Great post Fred.  

Amen, Freddy! Excellent.

Warning points were discussed at length in:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48732-why-do-i-have-0-warning-points/page-5

TCMModerator1 stated in that thread that more information on The Warning System would be forthcoming but it is sad to say that I do not know if that information was ever posted or where to find it.

I feel like a goody-two-shoes because I have garnered no warning points. I find it very disappointing.

Warning points were discussed at length in:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48732-why-do-i-have-0-warning-points/page-5

TCMModerator1 stated in that thread that more information on The Warning System would be forthcoming but it is sad to say that I do not know if that information was ever posted or where to find it.

I feel like a goody-two-shoes because I have garnered no warning points. I find it very disappointing.

If you want to get a couple warning points, but are worried that you will hurt someone's feelings by an insulting post, I'll be glad to be your insultee.

If you want to get a couple warning points, but are worried that you will hurt someone's feelings by an insulting post, I'll be glad to be your insultee.

I thank you for your kind offer. I am sad to say that I must decline because it is not in my nature to take easy targets. ;)

I do have two methods to avoid appearing insulting:

The first is that I speak British. By that I mean that I can seem civilized by saying: "I respect your opinion..." when that means in BritSpeak: "You are blithering idiot incapable of coherent thought."

The other is that when I am truly and deeply offended then I can write in a language excellent for profanity and then mung one letter so that the word can not be found via Google Search.

I have found it most useful to use: 'Ignore' feature of forum. There are posters who are excellent at provoking others and yet their own posts walk the fine line of not quite so insulting as to become target of moderator. It is by placing those posters in: 'Ignore' list that I avoid temptation to provide information on how bigoted and self-righteous they are and make observation that their head is so far up their backside that they need a glass belly-button 

• Like 7

I thank you for your kind offer. I am sad to say that I must decline because it is not in my nature to take easy targets. ;)

The first is that I speak British. By that I mean that I can seem civilized by saying: "I respect your opinion..." when that means in BritSpeak: "You are blithering idiot incapable of coherent thought."

The other is that when I am truly and deeply offended then I can write in a language excellent for profanity and then mung one letter so that the word can not be found via Google Search.

I have found it most useful to use: 'Ignore' feature of forum. There are posters who are excellent at provoking others and yet their own posts walk the fine line of not quite so insulting as to become target of moderator. It is by placing those posters in: 'Ignore' list that I avoid temptation to provide information on how bigoted and self-righteous they are and make observation that their head is so far up their backside that they need a glass belly-button 

Sans, BEST and truest post of the week.  Especially that LAST paragraph, You stated what most posters think and just don't say.You are brilliant ;)

Sans, BEST and truest post of the week.  Especially that LAST paragraph, You stated what most posters think and just don't say.

I thank you for your kind words. I am sad to say that I did not recognize the intent of such posters until I had been drawn in more than once. Life was much easier in days of Usenet when trolls were more blatant.

I thank you for your kind words. I am sad to say that I did not recognize the intent of such posters until I had been drawn in more than once. Life was much easier in days of Usenet when trolls were more blatant.

That was also my experience, so I took your sage advice that you so kindly gave me a long time ago and I find it's a lot less aggravating

SansFin, artful and gentle poster that you are, I fully appreciate your delicacy on the matter of message board insults.

But how about doing it by resorting to some Shakepeareanisms?

How's this as a sample -

Thou beslobbering fly-bitten malt-worm!

Or . . .

You warped tickle-brained wagtail!

Then there's when you have to deal with . . .

A craven fool-born bum-bailey!

It's been a while since anyone called me a bum-bailey, to be honest with you. You will have the immense satisfaction of having used Olde English in order to tell someone what you thought of him. The drawback is that if he really is a bum-bailey, he probably won't have a clue that he had just been insulted.

But, on the other hand, the Moderators of this board will have a heck of a time thinking that you deserve a warning point for your Willy Shakespeare blast!

I have found it most useful to use: 'Ignore' feature of forum. There are posters who are excellent at provoking others and yet their own posts walk the fine line of not quite so insulting as to become target of moderator. It is by placing those posters in: 'Ignore' list that I avoid temptation to provide information on how bigoted and self-righteous they are....

But you do realize that you've left some of us to fight the good fight by bringing such nefarious activities to the attention of the powers that be without your engagement?

Of course, many of us could simply use the ignore feature as well and join you in paradise, I suppose.

But I won't. I'd feel like a deserter.

Warning points can do irreparable damage to a person's self esteem. Therefore, offending posters should be given a "time out."

If everyone would stick strictly to talking about old and classic movies, there would be no need for Warning Points.

If everyone would stick strictly to talking about old and classic movies, there would be no need for Warning Points.

I agree, Fred. Thanks for redirecting us to more productive discussions. We are indebted to you for that, if you ask me.

I am sure there will still be some disagreement when it comes to film-related opinions...but at least everyone would be more 'on topic.' :)

SansFin, artful and gentle poster that you are, I fully appreciate your delicacy on the matter of message board insults.

But how about doing it by resorting to some Shakepeareanisms?

I would not wish to be a borborygmite by calling any poster a fobbing trundle-witted moldwerp even when it is obvious that they are one.

I feel that it may be safe to question whether a poster is a golter-yeded gawpsheet because the meaning has been sadly lost to history. I do like that term very much because of how it rolls off the tongue with ease.

I believe that if I were to resort to insults then I would skip Wm. Shakespeare and look to Geoffrey Chaucer for example. The former is blatant that the words are meant as insult while the latter is more artful in slipping it in so that the 'insultee' might be left to wonder if they have been insulted. I am sorry to say that my Old English is not up to the task of adapting his words to modern times.

My true preference would be to characterize the offensive one with a broad sweep:
"He was one of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animated abortions, conceited, half-educated coxcombs, who attach themselves to the idea most in fashion only to vulgarize it and who caricature every cause they serve, however sincerely." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
That describes very accurately my opinion of one particular poster on this board!

I believe that I have offended my spell-checker as I now see many red lines. Perhaps the person who programmed it did not anticipate users wishing to indulge in good Medieval mud-slinging.

I am happy to state that Preview of my post shows that no words were: ******'ed out!  :)
  • Like 1

But you do realize that you've left some of us to fight the good fight by bringing such nefarious activities to the attention of the powers that be without your engagement?

Of course, many of us could simply use the ignore feature as well and join you in paradise, I suppose.

But I won't. I'd feel like a deserter.

Suppose they gave a war and nobody came...

Such people are trolls. They feast on posters drawn into arguments. Their dessert is goading others into reacting in ways which attract Moderators' attention. I have decided to not feed the trolls.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings