Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Merry Christmas and other holidays of the season

A variation of an old Polish custom of throwing money out the door as the clock rings 12.  In MY family, we'd put a bit of change( whatever's in your pocket) on the porch, just outside the front door, and pull it back in the house after the midnight hour.  It's supposed to ensure you'll always have enough money to live on though the year, or some such s**t.  But my MOTHER was real big on this custom, and we still do it in honor of HER more than belief of the "good fortune" it's supposed to provide.

My Italian grandmother would always serve sausage and sauerkraut on New Year's Day (traditional fare to bring you good luck in the new year).  Odd combination on the surface, but she grew up just south of what was then the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  Family customs and traditions are interesting to me, because of their similarities and differences.

My sisters and I have had some legendary cemetery visits over the years.  We go and decorate graves of family members at various cemeteries and tell stories about the deceased people we used to know, all the while having cocktails and smoking cigarettes.  We enjoy it so much, we do it twice a year! (May and December).

• Like 1

Like many others here I tend to forget about this forum. So when I posted my Christmas wish that was meant for everyone on the message boards I posted the thread on General Discussions.

So here it is again, albeit a few days late for all of you to see here.....

My wife Annie put this together the other day to send to friends.

Here is hoping you all get a big laugh out of this. Merry Christmas and have a safe and happy 2015!!!

https://www.facebook...source=Facebook

Like many others here I tend to forget about this forum. So when I posted my Christmas wish that was meant for everyone on the message boards I posted the thread on General Discussions.

So here it is again, albeit a few days late for all of you to see here.....

My wife Annie put this together the other day to send to friends.

Here is hoping you all get a big laugh out of this. Merry Christmas and have a safe and happy 2015!!!

https://www.facebook...source=Facebook

I clicked on your "link" and got sent to some idiotic JIBJAB site so I can make my OWN thing, which of course, I didn't bother with.

I must PROTEST being schnookered into such SPAM!

Sepiatone

I clicked on your "link" and got sent to some idiotic JIBJAB site so I can make my OWN thing, which of course, I didn't bother with.

I must PROTEST being schnookered into such SPAM!

Sepiatone

You're kidding me right???

You have never heard of Jib-Jab??

You click on the link and up pops a picture of me and my wife Annie. In the middle of that picture you select the white pointer arrow and it takes you to another window where the video starts. It's that simple.

If you can't figure this out, then you aren't very internet savvy. I have had several people comment to me how funny it is. You are the first one who seems to have problems with it.

Unless you ARE kidding me.

You click on the link and up pops a picture of me and my wife Annie. In the middle of that picture you select the white pointer arrow and it takes you to another window where the video starts. It's that simple.

The link takes me only to page which states that I must log-in to view content. I have tried under Chrome and IE and both are the same. I do not know what to try next.

My Italian grandmother would always serve sausage and sauerkraut on New Year's Day (traditional fare to bring you good luck in the new year).  

There is a tradition in these parts to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. I have had them in other places but they had also beets, dates and leeks served at the same time. 

The link takes me only to page which states that I must log-in to view content. I have tried under Chrome and IE and both are the same. I do not know what to try next.

Just sent you a PM

So... what loot did ya'll get?

An unbuilt Heathkit Heat Sniffer, sub audio tone decoder and sound flasher.  An Archerkit Thermometer (will use it to monitor attic temperature)

4208628197_a2cb7d3c83.jpg

The heat sniffer is to detect heat loss through cracks and openings.

Heathkit.jpg

So... what loot did ya'll get?

I got Season 3 & 4 of Bewitched, Against All Flags DVD with Errol Flynn, some cookware (my husband and I just got pre-approved for a home, so this will come in handy.  My old cookware is rusted), a blender (also needed, I broke my old blender trying to crush ice), socks, a cloth wallet with pink flamingos printed on it, Maleficent Blu-Ray, and my personal favorite gift-- Risk board game.  I also got about $120 in gift cards and cash, which I'll save most for when we get our home, so we can get some new stuff for it.  All I've got to do is find a 2015 I Love Lucy calendar. 

2015 is looking like it'll be a pretty good year :-)

You're kidding me right???

You have never heard of Jib-Jab??

If you can't figure this out, then you aren't very internet savvy. I have had several people comment to me how funny it is. You are the first one who seems to have problems with it.

Unless you ARE kidding me.

Yes----I've heard of Jib-Jab.....I don't know WHAT gave you the impression I haven't, except that since your link has what looks like a FAKEBOOK connection, that might explain it.

Only on FAKEBOOK did I ever run across a plethora of morons who can't seem to read simple English and catch the simple context of whatever I'd post.  My problem with your link is the same one Sans  had.   That OTHER people told you how "hilarious" this thing is supposed to be tells me THEY were probably ALSO "FAKEBOOK fonies".  You know, the "friends"( you don't ACTUALLY believe that, do you?) who ALL think the pictures you post of your kids or grandkids, no matter HOW ugly or unremarkable, are just "aDORable!" Or, if a family member, God forbid, should pass away, will ALL tell you...."You're in our PRAYERS!"   Really?  They actually STILL say "their prayers" at bedtime?---or WHAT?

Ghah!

So, IF you're able to, show, or tell me WHERE in ANY post did I claim to have NOT heard of JIB-JAB.  And I'll consider apologizing for my rant!

Sepiatone

An unbuilt Heathkit Heat Sniffer, sub audio tone decoder and sound flasher.  An Archerkit Thermometer (will use it to monitor attic temperature)

I hope that you will please help me to understand this:

A kit is a thing to be assembled.

To assemble a thing is work.

People gave you kits.

You are happy that people gave you work?

:)

I hope that you find much joy in building the units and sense of satisfaction in using them!

I got Season 3 & 4 of Bewitched, Against All Flags DVD with Errol Flynn, some cookware (my husband and I just got pre-approved for a home, so this will come in handy.  My old cookware is rusted), a blender (also needed, I broke my old blender trying to crush ice), socks, a cloth wallet with pink flamingos printed on it, Maleficent Blu-Ray, and my personal favorite gift-- Risk board game.  I also got about $120 in gift cards and cash, which I'll save most for when we get our home, so we can get some new stuff for it.  All I've got to do is find a 2015 I Love Lucy calendar. 

That sounds wonderful!

I must wonder of Risk being your favorite. It is my experience that there is not such a thing as friendly game of Risk. Sole objective of game is to destroy your opponent, rip out their heart and dance on their grave. Are you perhaps more cut-throat than your kindly posts make you appear to be?

• Like 2

I hope that you will please help me to understand this:

A kit is a thing to be assembled.

To assemble a thing is work.

People gave you kits.

You are happy that people gave you work?

:)

I hope that you find much joy in building the units and sense of satisfaction in using them!

It's not work but fun!  :D

UA94lrg.jpg

83d8_1.jpg

Imagine putting a 25" color TV together...cabinet optional with a selection to choose from.

307279.jpg

Check out on this Flickr site what's involved.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34737609@N07/3259562858/in/photostream/

It's not work but fun!  :D

Imagine putting a 25" color TV together...cabinet optional with a selection to choose from.

Check out on this Flickr site what's involved.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34737609@N07/3259562858/in/photostream/

That looks quite intimidating! I have built computers by plugging boards together and I can solder with sufficient finesse so as to not burn down the house but I would have to be insane to tackle such a project.

Since I have to hands that seem to have all THUMBS instead of fingers when it comes to this kind of stuff, I admire that kind of moxie.

And I remember back in the 1960's when HEATHKIT stuff was all the rage.  There was a HEATHKIT store up on 8 mile road just off the Southfield freeway for YEARS.  And I still remember one of my buddy's Dad and much older step brother taking the better part of 1961 putting together a Heathkit stereo in their basement.  Built the thing into the knotty pine BOOKCASES his Dad put in  some years earlier.  We used to get a kick out of listening to the vinyl LP that came with the kit that demonstrated the cool things that could be done with stereo recording technology.  You know----trains "roaring" by, ping pong games, people walking by, or jet airplanes flying overhead.  Back in THOSE days, it was COOL! 

Sepiatone

Since I have to hands that seem to have all THUMBS instead of fingers when it comes to this kind of stuff, I admire that kind of moxie.

And I remember back in the 1960's when HEATHKIT stuff was all the rage.  There was a HEATHKIT store up on 8 mile road just off the Southfield freeway for YEARS.  And I still remember one of my buddy's Dad and much older step brother taking the better part of 1961 putting together a Heathkit stereo in their basement.  Built the thing into the knotty pine BOOKCASES his Dad put in  some years earlier.  We used to get a kick out of listening to the vinyl LP that came with the kit that demonstrated the cool things that could be done with stereo recording technology.  You know----trains "roaring" by, ping pong games, people walking by, or jet airplanes flying overhead.  Back in THOSE days, it was COOL! 

Sepiatone

There was also Eico and Allied/Knight later called Radio Shack.

eico-753-kit.jpg

This little AM broadcaster goes for big $$$ on Ebay.

Knight_WB.JPG

There was also Eico and Allied/Knight later called Radio Shack.

eico-753-kit.jpg

This little AM broadcaster goes for big $$$ on Ebay.

Knight_WB.JPG

Jeez, Ham, I can remember when you could buy SPEAKERS at Radio Shack.  You know, NOT the kind that were already in cabinets, but the CONES that you'd find in those.  Guys I knew were putting together their own stereo speakers, and others I knew were replacing the ones they blew in their guitar amplifiers!

Can't GET that kind of thing there now.  I tried.  wanted to replace the "mid" cone in one of  my Satillite's, and the high-school aged girl at the counter( and the only person in the store) had NO  idea as to what I was TALKING about!  SHE didn't even know WHAT I meant by "tuner cleaner"!

No WONDER a buddy of mine now calls it "Radio Sham".

Sepiatone

Jeez, Ham, I can remember when you could buy SPEAKERS at Radio Shack.  You know, NOT the kind that were already in cabinets, but the CONES that you'd find in those.  Guys I knew were putting together their own stereo speakers, and others I knew were replacing the ones they blew in their guitar amplifiers!

Can't GET that kind of thing there now.  I tried.  wanted to replace the "mid" cone in one of  my Satillite's, and the high-school aged girl at the counter( and the only person in the store) had NO  idea as to what I was TALKING about!  SHE didn't even know WHAT I meant by "tuner cleaner"!

No WONDER a buddy of mine now calls it "Radio Sham".

Sepiatone

When I first heard this on the news recently, I said Well DUH!

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-radioshack-stumbles-down-road-taken-by-many-failed-us-retailers---2014-9

There are sites where you can get replacement speakers, here's one..

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speakers.html

Radio Shack use to sell very neat electronics (despite the Johnny Carson jokes)

radioshack1980.jpg

I have the STA-2200 in the catalog - lol approaching 40 years old! (weighs a ton!)

This radio is one of the best shortwaves I've came across.

W635lrg.jpg

radioshack1980.jpg

I have the STA-2200 in the catalog - lol approaching 40 years old! (weighs a ton!)

I have a pair of the T-100 tower speakers shown in the background, as well as a pair of thier huge Mach One speakers with the 15" woofers. I also have one of thier huge, top-of-the-line 100-watt per channel tuner amps. But I haven't had any of it hooked up in over 12 years, though. I hope it all still works.

I have a pair of the T-100 tower speakers shown in the background, as well as a pair of thier huge Mach One speakers with the 15" woofers. I also have one of thier huge, top-of-the-line 100-watt per channel tuner amps. But I haven't had any of it hooked up in over 12 years, though. I hope it all still works.

Imagine having 6 Mach One speakers for surround.  Would be like an IMAX sound system.  :)

8699f9b19e04f3c8-_DSC9388.jpg

Imagine having 6 Mach One speakers for surround.  Would be like an IMAX sound system.  :)

I can already tell that I have some hearing loss from all the loud music of my youth, my old stereo being one of the main culprits. I'd hate to hasten the decline of what hearing I have left by hooking up 6 of those things. But it sure would be fun for a minute, though!