Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic movie star recipes

TopBilled

images23.jpg

episode number one-- homemade chili. This was one of Ronald Reagan's favorite dishes, as prepared by a chef in the White House named Henry Haller. Scroll down for the recipe:

imgres50.jpg

Ingredients:

2 cups onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 cup bacon grease
2 lbs ground beef
2 T chili powder
1 T salt
1 T beef base
4 cups whole tomatoes, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 T sugar
4 - 6 cups pinto beans, cooked

Directions:

First, use a heavy pot to melt the bacon drippings and sauté the onions and garlic. Next, add the ground beef and chili powder. Stir it until the meat is browned. Then, add the salt, beef base, tomatoes, bay leaf and sugar. For about twenty minutes, simmer the meat, covered, but stirring often.

Then, it's time to add the pinto beans to the meat. Continue to simmer this mixture for one hour, covered, and over low heat. Be sure to stir gently from time to time and test for flavor.

Makes 16 servings. Enjoy!

This public domain recipe was retrieved on December 5, 2014 from the recipeofhealth.com website.

episode two -- breakfast fruit salad

1breakfast.png

Today we're using a recipe from Mae West. 

Ingredients:

1 large apple, chopped

1 large banana, chopped

1 large pear, chopped

2 or 3 almonds

raisins

honey

Directions:

This healthy recipe is an easy one. First, chop the apple, banana and pear. Then combine the fruits in a bowl. Grate the almonds and use them for topping with raisins. For a bit of sweetening, add a touch of honey. 

Serves: 1. Best served with a glass of milk.

The original recipe has been reprinted countless times in books and blogs. I looked at two different versions, including an entry on cdkitchen.com, retrieved on December 6, 2014. I modified it slightly.

episode three -- fried sandwiches by elvis

Today we're cooking with the king. I highly recommend Elvis' fried peanut butter & banana sandwiches. These are truly delicious-- what a guilty pleasure they are! Anything with peanut butter automatically goes to the top of my list. 

What I love about these meatless sandwiches is that they are perfect for a late afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. But the next time I make these-- instead of bread (I always use wheat bread by the way)-- I will vary the recipe a bit and use wheat tortillas. That way I can reduce the carbs and still enjoy all the flavor inside.

1elvis.png

This recipe is found on wikipedia.com, retrieved on December 7, 2014. It is commonly known as the Elvis sandwich with occasional variations.

John Barrymore's Christmas "Bracer"

Ingredients:

Any good 12 year-old Scotch;

A clean large tumbler;

Pour Scotch into tumbler until three or four fingers full, and tilt tumbler into mouth until contents are entirely inside you.

Repeat as often as possible, or until the Scotch bottle is empty.

And----HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

A note to readers--

First, I think this is going to be a very fun and thoroughly enjoyable thread, and it might even win a Thready Award. My guess is that you may be reading this, because if you are like me and enjoy classic movies and good food-- then it's a win-win, right?

As we continue forward during these 150 episodes, I am going share recipes and trivia about classic film and the stars. I would also like to share with you a little bit more about myself. I plan to include photos where I am preparing some of these recipes. And if I get brave enough, my brother who is a film producer may do one or two segments with me in January-- so you may get to see me! Now keep in mind I do not have my own T shirts to autograph like Svengoolie does, but with the right make-up and lighting I can come across as sufficiently attractive so I don't think you will be too disappointed. And if you really do want an autograph, then I have provided one below!

The other thing I want to mention here is this-- I sincerely invite you all to make what is called Readers Reports where you feel it appropriate. What is a Reader Report, you ask? It's when someone uses the information in the thread to make a positive difference in their life. In this instance, it would be where someone uses one of the recipes I have provided while entertaining family and friends. I would love to hear how your version of Ann Harding's barbecued meat or your version of Alan Ladd's potato pancakes turned out!

Best wishes, and to paraphrase the late great Casey Kasem, keep your feet on the ground and keep on reaching for the measuring cup!

topsignature.jpg

• Like 1

episode four -- beefsteak by ruth chatterton

1beef.png

It's almost four in the afternoon here. In a few hours, I will be making dinner. And as I thought about today's menu, I decided I had a hankering for a steak. I remembered this great recipe I had that was provided by actress Ruth Chatterton. Most know Ruth as the very undomestic wife in the hit motion picture DODSWORTH. 

Usually I like to serve a porterhouse with a baked potato and a vinegar and oil coleslaw. As for a suitable beverage, I tend to drink coffee but I can think of several good wines that might also go well with this meal. Incidentally, I probably eat red meat about once every two weeks. So when I treat myself like this, it has to be very good. And let me assure you, Ruth's recipe is spectacular! Here it is:

1beefsteak.png

I think the horseradish gives it just the right flavor. I understand that not everyone is a fan of horseradish, but it really works with this dish.

imgres52.jpg

This recipe first appeared in Favorite Recipes of the Movie Stars, an out of print paperback cookbook published in 1931.

episode five -- cheese biscuits by vincent price

1vp.png

There's nothing like freshly baked biscuits. And what's even better, is if they are made with real cheese. Today's recipe for golden cheese biscuits comes from the great Vincent Price, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ingredients:

1/2 c. butter

1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated

2 c. flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, cream the butter and cheese in a bowl, then gradually mix in the flour, salt and pepper. After you have done this, gather the dough into a ball and refrigerate it for about an hour. It should be covered with plastic, so it doesn't dry out in the fridge.

When the dough has been sufficiently chilled, remove it from the fridge and dispose of the plastic. Then, turn out the dough on a lightly floured board. You will then want to roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut it with a small round biscuit cutter. 

1dough.jpg

Place the biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet and put them in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for seven or eight minutes, until golden. Enjoy!

1cheesebiscuit.jpg

The original recipe first appeared in Cooking with Vincent, a cookbook published in 1965.

episode six -- scampi by lana turner

1scampi.png

I will be going to the market in a little while to pick up ingredients for tonight's supper. Since I am in the mood for seafood, I decided that I would use Lana Turner's delicious recipe for homemade scampi.  Those who have seen THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE know that Lana played a cook at the Twin Oaks roadside diner. I don't remember if she prepared scampi in the movie, but it was probably on the menu.

For my version, I plan to buy fresh shrimp with the shells on, because I think it makes the dish taste better. Lana favors parsley, but since I prefer cilantro, I will probably make a substitution. I think shrimp scampi is best served with pasta. 

Ingredients:

16 medium shrimp

2 cloves of garlic, fresh crushed

1/4 stick unsalted butter

4 T olive oil

2 T fresh chopped parsley or cilantro

1 T lemon juice

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:

Take the shrimp and remove the legs, vein and shell (but leave the tail on). Set aside. Next, put the butter and olive oil in a pan and heat. Add the crushed garlic and parsley (or cilantro). Then, add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Once these ingredients have properly combined, turn the heat off and pour the mixture over the raw shrimp. Let it marinate for one hour.

After an hour, place the marinated shrimp into a baking pan. Then, broil with the flesh side up about six inches from the heat. Do this for about six minutes. 

Serves: 4. Serve hot and enjoy!

images25.jpg

The original recipe first appeared in Cookbook of the Stars, published by Motion Picture Mothers in 1970.

episode seven -- quiche lorraine by alfred hitchcock

images-121.jpg

I woke up this morning in the mood for a hearty breakfast. A few days ago I came across this recipe for quiche that was a favorite of director Alfred Hitchcock. Since it seems relatively easy, I thought I would give it a try!

Ingredients for crust:

2 c. flour

1/2 c. butter

1 egg yolk

pinch of salt

1/4 c. cold water

Ingredients for filling:

2 slices ham, diced

1 onion, chopped

4 eggs

2 c. hot milk

salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 

First, combine the flour, butter, egg yolk, salt and cold water and work the dough together. Then, chill the dough for an hour. After the dough is sufficiently chilled, roll it out to line a pie pan or glass baking dish. Trim the edges with a fork. 

Next, for the filling, arrange the diced ham on the crust. If you prefer, use a half cup of pork sausage, already cooked and drained. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, beat the eggs with salt and pepper. Add the hot milk, beating with a whisk. Gradually beat the mixture over low heat, until it begins to thicken. Then, pour it into the pastry shell. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until filling is set and the top of the crust is golden. Serve at once. Mr. Hitchcock is waiting.

images-28.jpg

The idea for this recipe was inspired by an entry on lostrecipesfound.com, retrieved on December 11, 2014. I also looked at a demonstration video of this recipe on youtube.com before making slight modifications.

I assume you got permission from Jenny Hammerton to pull this information off her website, without giving her credit?

Yes and if anyone is interested go to her website SILVER SCREEN SUPPERS, there you will find all these recipes that have been posted here so far and more. This thread NEEDS to be retitled. This gal, Jenny Hammerton did all the research, and the work.

• Like 2

Yes and if anyone is interested go to her website SILVER SCREEN SUPPERS, there you will find all these recipes that have been posted here so far and more. This thread NEEDS to be retitled. This gal, Jenny Hammerton did all the research, and the work.

Don't worry, lavender, I have already contacted Ms Hammerton to inform her what is going on here.

episode eight -- peach cake by doris day

1peach.png

Today I am sharing a recipe that is one of the yummiest desserts I have ever made. It comes us to by way of Doris Day. As you know, Doris starred in the hit Warner Brothers musical MY DREAM IS YOURS. And let me tell you, her peach cake is about as dreamy as it gets.

I think what I find most attractive about this recipe is that you can easily substitute strawberries or blueberries for the peaches, and it will taste just as good. Of course, it is always better if the fruit is fresh, not frozen or canned. 

Ingredients:

1 pkg cake mix (Angel food works best)

2 c. heavy cream

1 lb. peaches

1 tsp lemon juice

Directions:

First, prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Once the cake has finished baking and has had time to properly cool, you will want to slice it with a saw-toothed knife into two or three layers. I usually divide mine into two layers.

Next, whip the cream until it stands in firm peaks. Then, prepare the fruit mixture. If using peaches, you will peel, slice and slightly sweeten them. If you are using strawberries instead, then slice the large red berries and sweeten to taste. Make sure you add a bit of lemon juice to the fruit mixture to prevent discoloration. 

After the fruit mixture is ready, spread some of the whipped cream on one layer of the cake. Then, cover it with the fruit. You will repeat this step with each layer, stacking one on top of the other. 

Serve immediately and enjoy.

images.jpg

The idea for this recipe was inspired by an entry on recipesource.com, retrieved on December 12, 2014. 

I will address this. First, the Silver Screen Suppers blogger takes her recipes from a variety of open sources and does not own the copyright of the recipes. 

I scan a variety of sources myself. If you type 'doris day peach cake' on Google, you will see that this recipe has been shared on several websites. 

When I am inspired by an original recipe, I start with the basic ideas and make modifications. In this case, I added strawberries and blueberries to the recipe and I suggested other types of cake mix could be used (not just angel food). In short, I individualize all my recipes and encourage others to experiment and find variations that work for them.

I am putting this text in a larger font so everyone can read it more clearly. Thanks for your time and bless you always.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings