Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Message board experience

TopBilled

Message board poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which forum or sub-forum do you visit most often?

• General Discussions
    • TCM Programs
    • Films and Filmmakers
    • The genre sub-forums
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you feel the message board community is a positive experience?

3. 3. How many hours do you spend on the TCM message boards each week?

• 0-2 hours
    • between 2 - 5 hours
    • between 5 - 10 hours
    • more than 10 hours per week

I refuse to vote. I think this is silly -- sorry!  And, related to question #2,  anyone who posts here and doesn't feel it's a "positive experience," has got to be pixillated!  :)

Haha...well, yes, I see your point of view. I wanted to start with something general and hopefully not controversial. I have been curious about this feature of the boards since the upgrades and I wanted to try to learn how to use it. 

Maybe Tom will be inspired to conduct a Bing & Frank poll. :)

Actually, with this surfeit of threads about TCM and about the Board itself, maybe there should be a totally separate place for those sorts of discussions, away from "General Discussions." People seem to enjoy them, but they aren't strictly speaking film discussions. In jest, I suggested a navel-gazing board. But I'm beginning to feel that these sorts of threads are taking over "General Discussions" and that a separate place for them should be created somewhere else on the Board, with a more serious title than my "navel-gazing" jokey title.

These subjects would continue to crop up in film threads, but I think the main place for them should really be elsewhere on the Board, particularly when a large number of whole threads are being created about them.

• Like 2

Actually, with this surfeit of threads about TCM and about the Board itself, maybe there should be a totally separate place for those sorts of discussions, away from "General Discussions." People seem to enjoy them, but they aren't strictly speaking film discussions. In jest, I suggested a navel-gazing board. But I'm beginning to feel that these sorts of threads are taking over "General Discussions" and that a separate place for them should be created somewhere else on the Board, with a more serious title than my "navel-gazing" jokey title.

These subjects would continue to crop up in film threads, but I think the main place for them should really be elsewhere on the Board, particularly when a large number of whole threads are being created about them.

That's an idea. I think we are all heading towards a redefining of what General Discussions is...what belongs here, what belongs somewhere else-- not exactly how we see it, but how TCM's web administration and design team sees it.

Sorry. If TB wants them here, they will be here.

Been reading the last few days? We have a new king.

I requested that the moderators remove this poll.  If the information is of benefit, it should be created by the moderators.

As the creator of the poll has shown strong preferences and opinions in the past, how valid is the poll?  Are the questions complete and valid or created to "prove" a certain attitude?  

And he/she obviously chose some items and ignored others.

With so many people already choosing not to participate, it will have zero reliability.  At least based on the statistics course I took in graduate school.

Not appropriate for this site.

I requested that the moderators remove this poll.  If the information is of benefit, it should be created by the moderators.

As the creator of the poll has shown strong preferences and opinions in the past, how valid is the poll?  Are the questions complete and valid or created to "prove" a certain attitude?  

With so many people already choosing not to participate, it will have zero reliability.  At least based on the statistics course I took in graduate school.

Well I learned that as a user one can create a poll so I found that interesting just by itself.   

So I feel the poll was appropriate for this site,  but I can also understand why people would avoid it.  

I'm thinking of starting one that ask about the type of programming people would like to see from TCM.  While this is a topic discussed a lot at this forum a poll might be enlighting (of course it would only reflect the views of those at this site willing to participate).    Anyhow I hope no one feels I had some alterative motive by starting a poll.

• Like 1

I am going to respectfully disagree. First, this is a feature we are allowed to use since the upgrade. Nobody has tried to use it, and I thought I would see how it works. I picked very basic questions. I could have asked what everyone's favorite colors or favorite foods are, but I thought I would focus on what brings people here and keeps people here. Nothing wrong with that at all. To try and undermine it with negative posts and conspiracy theories is very unfortunate and shows how much trust is lacking in this message board community. I sincerely hope that changes.

As for statistics, the data becomes more reliable with more respondents I am sure, but it does not mean that the votes already cast are worthless. A few people answered the message board is a positive experience. So we should be glad to know people do feel that way. I am happy about that. Why can't you be as well? You are not being forced at gunpoint to vote in the poll. Maybe another poll will have questions more to your liking. But to come on to the thread and post negatively seems like that may be what you enjoy doing, being negative, and I just do not see the benefit in that.

Also, you seemed to complain about my choosing some items as questions and not others. If you had taken the time to conduct a poll yourself, you would know this website feature only allows three questions. So you have to narrow it down considerably. It would have been more comprehensive, no doubt, if I had been able to ask ten or twenty questions.

So again, I respectfully feel you are going out of your way to be negative without understanding all the facts here. There is no reason for the moderator to ban the poll. It is perfectly fine and acceptable the way it is. Thanks for reading and understanding! Have a most wonderful evening!

True. It should be in a sub-forum.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone who voted! I appreciate the opportunity to learn how to conduct a poll on here. 

I thought it was interesting that none of the respondents marked TCM Programs as a board they most frequently visit. I will occasionally check the Star of the Month thread over there to see if there are new comments, and I will also look at the memorials threads from time to time. I have noticed that there is very little participation in the Guest Programmer area, and I think that's a shame. TCM has a great variety of on-air guests and I feel people should be discussing that more.

I hope you have a spectacular day and thanks again for joining me on the first user poll...! 

seem like fairly well thought out questions to me. :)

Thanks nipkow. In future, I will probably conduct more film-related polls-- especially in February during 31 Days of Oscar. However, as I said previously, when allowed only three questions, one does have to narrow it down considerably.

Yes, which would include discussions of Run Silent, Run Deep and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

If you will it, so shall it be. If any one poster can dictate, unilaterally, what should be banished to a sub-forum, then any other poster should also be able to dictate, unilaterally, what should be banished to a sub-forum. No poster on a message board should be allowed to play God.

n'est-ce pas?

• Like 1

There are three questions in this poll.  Seventeen people answered the first question, and twelve people answered the other two questions. 

Presently, nobody has indicated they spend the majority of their time on the TCM Programs boards.

I am curious what 'Other' boards people spend a lot of time on-- games maybe? Or the TCM cruise area?

Presently, nobody has indicated they spend the majority of their time on the TCM Programs boards.

I am curious what 'Other' boards people spend a lot of time on-- games maybe? Or the TCM cruise area?

Just a wild guess here, mind you, but maybe people have "other" things to do, like work, play, read, exercise, visit their psychiatrist ...

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings