Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unbroken

NipkowDisc

typical inflated hollywood egotism. where does angelina jolie get the idea that she is steven spielberg? playing lara croft is not an indication of great directoral skill, just athletic coordination.  :lol:

So one is an egotist for taking on a job that they hadn't done before?    I guess this is why the only job you ever had was flipping burgers!   :D

typical inflated hollywood egotism. where does angelina jolie get the idea that she is steven spielberg? playing lara croft is not an indication of great directoral skill, just athletic coordination.  :lol:

Well, first here ND, ever notice that it's NOT a "new occurrence" for notable actors to ultimately move behind the camera and become reasonably decent film directors. Heck, wouldn't you think all the time they'd spend on a movie set that at least a FEW of 'em would be able to learn this different "discipline"? The list is long with people who would fit this category, all the way from Chaplin to Eastwood and beyond.

And secondly, what the heck is wrong with the idea of ANYONE, be they some actor-turned-director OR some "established" director, making a movie about the life of a member of "the greatest generation" and which it appears is a story of "the triumph of the human spirit", and INSTEAD of some "sci-fi" flick overladen with special effects or some "action" film and which are often nothing but "fluff"?

(...I mean I would have thought that if ANYONE around here would have been appreciative of a MODERN movie being released in what appears to be made in "an old-fashioned manner", it would be YOU, and someone who I THOUGHT liked the "old-fashioned stuff")

Well, first here ND, ever notice that it's NOT a "new occurrence" for notable actors to ultimately move behind the camera and become reasonably decent film directors. Heck, wouldn't you think all the time they'd spend on a movie set that at least a FEW of 'em would be able to learn this different "discipline"? The list is long with people who would fit this category, all the way from Chaplin to Eastwood and beyond.

And secondly, what the heck is wrong with the idea of ANYONE, be they some actor-turned-director OR some "established" director, making a movie about the life of a member of "the greatest generation" and which it appears is a story of "the triumph of the human spirit", and INSTEAD of some "sci-fi" flick overladen with special effects or some "action" film and which are often nothing but "fluff"?

(...I mean I would have thought that if ANYONE around here would have been appreciative of a MODERN movie being released in what appears to be made in "an old-fashioned manner", it would be YOU, and someone who I THOUGHT liked the "old-fashioned stuff")

Hey,  what is wrong with people judging something they haven't seen yet.    Oh wait!  

Hey,  what is wrong with people judging something they haven't seen yet.    Oh wait!  

LOL

Yeah, and with the PRIME examples of this "phenomenon" being how some people "resented" religious-themed films such as "The Last Temptation of Christ" AND "Mohammad, Messenger of God", aka "The Message", BEFORE the freakin' morons had even WATCHED 'em!!!!) 

She already has a directorship under her belt.

'In the Land of Blood and Honey' (2011) was an ambitious effort, though not all that well-received by critics. Still, she could end up being a better director than she is an actor.

Said this in another thread recently, she's massively over-rated as an actor.

Sexy face, though.

modern "actresses" should realize their limitations. jolie shoulda had enough sense to have a male director handle the wartime scenes and she woulda handled the sensitive touchy-feely human scenes. that's all I mean.

would it make sense to anybody to have Zoe Soldana direct a remake of The Dirty Dozen? :D

modern "actresses" should realize their limitations. jolie shoulda had enough sense to have a male director handle the wartime scenes and she woulda handled the sensitive touchy-feely human scenes. that's all I mean.

would it make sense to anybody to have Zoe Soldana direct a remake of The Dirty Dozen? :D

Yeah, but I think you're missin' the point here, ND. The point being that while this movie DOES depict the ravages of war, it ultimately HAS a "touchy-feely" point that's made in it....or at least according to what I understand of it, anyway. And thus, to attempt to compare the Aldrich directed action film to this one seems a case of Apple/Oranges to me.

(...and btw, and as you might have surmised by my "defense" or it, this is one new film which I'm inclined to go see)

Yeah, but I think you're missin' the point here, ND. The point being that while this movie DOES depict the ravages of war, it ultimately HAS a "touchy-feely" point that's made in it....or at least according to what I understand of it, anyway. And thus, to attempt to compare the Aldrich directed action film to this one seems a case of Apple/Oranges to me.

(...and btw, and as you might have surmised by my "defense" or it, this is one new film which I'm inclined to go see)

women should not direct war scenes...

"they haven't the glands for it." -Nero, Quo Vadis :lol:

women should not direct war scenes...

"they haven't the glands for it." -Nero, Quo Vadis :lol:

Good thing for Nero he died a couple of millennial before Academy Award winning director KATHRYN BIGELOW (she of "The Hurt Locker" and "Zero Dark Thirty" movies) came onto the scene, ain't it ND?!!!

(...if you catch my drift) 

• Like 3

Good thing for Nero he died a couple of millennial before Academy Award winning director KATHRYN BIGELOW (she of "The Hurt Locker" and "Zero Dark Thirty" movies) came onto the scene, ain't it ND?!!!

Exactly, angelina should have asked her to direct the war scenes.

I merely deferred to male directors because they're not a lot of competent female directors who can handle action stuff like Kathryn Bigelow obviously can.

Because of political correctness we're not suppose to notice that a male director will approach action scenes differently than a female director would.

Kathryn Bigelow is the exception.

I'll bet the weak parts of unbroken are the prison camp scenes that angelina jolie insisted on directing herself. :lol:

Exactly, angelina should have asked her to direct the war scenes.

I merely deferred to male directors because they're not a lot of competent female directors who can handle action stuff like Kathryn Bigelow obviously can.

Because of political correctness we're not suppose to notice that a male director will approach action scenes differently than a female director would.

Kathryn Bigelow is the exception.

I'll bet the weak parts of unbroken are the prison camp scenes that angelina jolie insisted on directing herself. :lol:

Well, it's kind'a funny you now mention THAT aspect to this film here, ND.

Ya see, just this morning Jolie, newsman Tom Brokaw and the two principle actors in this film, one of them the Japanese actor who plays the lead character's(Louis Zamperini) prime tormentor and nemesis in the POW camp, were on NBC's Today Show, and a major point was insisted during this plug for the movie that the character the Japanese actor played of Zamperini's tormentor was absolutely great at playing someone who the audience will begin to despise and hate.

And so, I really doubt there's gonna be a scene in it where the leads sit down and discuss the niceties of life over a spot of tea!

(...nope, I got me a feelin' Jolie doesn't "surgar-coat" Zamperini's experience in this thing, and doesn't make it ALL that, as you said, "touchy-feely"!!!)

Btw ND, I've just thought of another point to make here...

I believe one could argue with validity the idea that another prisoner of war movie made by a VERY noted male director, Billy Wilder, was a little too "touchy-feely". Yep, I'm talkin' about STALAG 17, and how Wilder seems to add JUST a little too much humor into the mix in order for it to be truly "realistic".

(...though don't get me wrong, I like this movie and didn't mean to make it sound as if I didn't) 

It's interesting that the Coen Brothers co-wrote the screenplay. I wonder why they didnt want to direct it?

Well, knowing the Coen Bros and how they throw THEIR sense of humor into the mix of their films, maybe they thought if they HAD made it, it WOULD just turn into a new version of STALAG 17, Hibi?! ;)

Haven't seen or heard much about Unbroken.  However, I did see Zero Dark Thirty-very disappointed.  Based on my experiences in the military, way too many things were just "off."  Of course, movies aren't really about accuracy as such, but ZDT seemed to have more inaccuracies than most that are supposed to be reality based.  One that I recall was when the CIA agent got on the plane to come home.  I think it was a C-130.  Regardless, she would not have ridden in the cargo compartment.  As the sole passenger, she would have been invited to sit in the cockpit area with the crew.  They have extra seats up there, because I have ridden in them as a passenger.

However, that could have been the fault of the screenwriter more than the director.

As for Jolie, never have cared much for her as an actor.  Always thought she just got a lot of "hype" and celebrity build-up.  For instance, Mr. and Mrs. Smith was just plain silly and not in an entertaining way.  Lara Crofts weren't much better. But, a lot of people obviously like them.

AS for women directing military scenes, Ida Lupino probably could have done it very well.  However, to some extent men have had more opportunities to experience the military type situations.

• Like 1

and if unbroken fades away into obscurity it won't be because angelina jolie wasn't able to approach directing the prison camp scenes with a male perspective? :)

If a man has never been in military service,  like JOHN WAYNE,   how can he be realistic in war movies!!!!    

Yea,  the above POV is as silly and lame as the point your making.

If a man has never been in military service,  like JOHN WAYNE,   how can he be realistic in war movies!!!!    

Yea,  the above POV is as silly and lame as the point your making.

No, in actuality James, your point ISN'T "silly and lame", however it's NOT so much the point you're attempting to make about his lack of military service somehow making a war movie he might have made less "realistic", but MORE the idea that his 1960 directorial production of "The Alamo" cost him $12 Million bucks to make BUT only took IN $7.2 Million bucks at the BOX OFFICE!!!

(...and so IN FACT, your mentioning of John Wayne here was a VERY valid argument to make as a counterpoint to ND's assertion about Jolie's movie possibly "dying at the box office and into obscurity" and his whole "actor's ego-driven" thing, AND of course because you used ND's "idol" to make your POINT and even THOUGH you didn't REALIZE it!!!)  

No, in actuality James, your point ISN'T "silly and lame", however it's NOT so much the point you're attempting to make about his lack of military service somehow making a war movie he might have made less "realistic", but MORE the idea that his 1960 directorial production of "The Alamo" cost him $12 Million bucks to make BUT only took IN $7.2 Million bucks at the BOX OFFICE!!!

(...and so IN FACT, your mentioning of John Wayne here was a VERY valid argument to make as a counterpoint to ND's assertion about Jolie's movie possibly "dying at the box office and into obscurity" and his whole "actor's ego-driven" thing!)  

Hey, I'm in CA and just getting my first cup of green tea so my reply was weak.  You make a very solid point about Wayne and his directorial production of The Alamo.     But of course Wayne wasn't ego-driven,   just those dang women that don't know their place.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings