Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SansFin

Actors whom you do not notice until you notice them...

...and then you find that you have seen them many times before.

My husband purchased DVD set of a television series which sadly existed for one season only. It is worse that it was on cable channel and not network and so that one season is fourteen episodes only.

It is quite wonderful and it made me think how special it is that such unknown actors could deliver such perfect performances. I recognized the leading male because he is now lead on a current television program which is one of the few which I watch with regularity. 

I did research of other actors in the series. I was quite surprised that they had wide bodies of work and that I had seen most of them in quite dissimilar roles on television and in movies.

The most surprising to me was actress who played a true space-cadet who I loved as a no-nonsense professional in a different series on the same cable channel! She is far different when she does not have silly "I'm slightly stoned" expression at all times.

My husband tells of similar experience with Louis Jourdan. He first truly noticed him in television movie: Count Dracula (1977) and realized only much later that it is same actor in: Can-Can (1960) and Gigi (1958).

One actor who springs to mind for me is Stephen Root. He is, in my opinion, one of the great character actors. It wasn’t until I began to notice his face attached to hugely different, but equally well-played roles, that he became a factor in whether I would take the time to watch a movie I had doubts about. The fact that he has been in huge, blockbuster movies, but is still willing to take parts in significantly lower-budget Indie films has also endeared him to me.

John Cusack

John_Cusack(1).jpg

Tom Mison

sleepy-hollow-renewed-season2.jpg

Never paid any attention to Peter Jurasik until "Babylon 5" even though he appeared in one of my favorite movies "Tron" (1982) 2nd photo

Peter-Jurasik-as-Cetauri-Ambassador-Lond

Peter+Jurasik+002.gif

Notan hit on something there.

Most of the kinds of actors you mention are likely character actors.  You see and often HEAR them in several movies, as in many cases, their VOICES are more recognizable than their FACES.  Like PERCY HELTON, who was the "drunk Santa" whose position was taken over by Edmund Gwenn in "Miracle on 34t Street".  He was also the old man standing watch outside the bordello in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

He's been a long time favorite of many a movie buff.  Merv Griffin once had him on his talk show and referred to him as "one of those actors that when you see or hear him makes you react with, 'OH, THAT guy!'"

Charles Lane was one of "Those guys", too.  He was just some old guy that I'd see in TV shows from time to time.  Not until I started watching old "classic" movies did I take notice of his legacy.

But, as was/is the case with John Cusak, it can be younger, more recent actors who can fit in this sleeve.  For me it would be  SETH GREEN.  earlier on it would have been JASON ALEXANDER.   I guess you could toss in OLIVER PLATT. 

A couple of my favorites would be DON CHEADLE, and JEREMY SPIVEN

Sepiatone

One actor who springs to mind for me is Stephen Root. He is, in my opinion, one of the great character actors. It wasn’t until I began to notice his face attached to hugely different, but equally well-played roles, that he became a factor in whether I would take the time to watch a movie I had doubts about. The fact that he has been in huge, blockbuster movies, but is still willing to take parts in significantly lower-budget Indie films has also endeared him to me.

Excellent mention. I was watching the dvd commentary of 'White Oleander' (2002) and director Peter Kosminsky spoke of being absolutely heartbroken to have to remove Root's scenes from the movie. He said Root had given a great performance - but for some reason, I'm not sure why, maybe continuity or overall length or something, he had to make the decision to remove Root's part and he made a point of letting viewers know how much it had hurt to do it. Anyone watching the movie would've had NO IDEA that Root had been in the film, so Kosminsky's revealing of this speaks to how good he must've thought Stpehen Root had been.

Funny thing - when one watches the trailer for 'White Oleander', Stephen Root is still featured in the trailer - and in that one brief scene that comprises one spoken sentence, it's evident that Root WAS really good in it.

My daughter was a big fan of 'True Blood' when it was decent - back in its first season. She finally convinced me to watch it. I remember mentioning to her once, "too bad about poor Eddie, ay". And she said "oh yes, I really liked Eddie". Then, when I said to her "you know that was Jimmy James - the boss on 'Newsradio'?", she responded "oh, my God - that's right!!"

Root is prolific - he never stops working.

Excellent mention. I was watching the dvd commentary of 'White Oleander' (2002) and director Peter Kosminsky spoke of being absolutely heartbroken to have to remove Root's scenes from the movie. He said Root had given a great performance - but for some reason, I'm not sure why, maybe continuity or overall length or something, he had to make the decision to remove Root's part and he made a point of letting viewers know how much it had hurt to do it. Anyone watching the movie would've had NO IDEA that Root had been in the film, so Kosminsky's revealing of this speaks to how good he must've though Stpehen Root had been.

Funny thing - when one watches the trailer for 'White Oleander', Stephen Root is still featured in the trailer - and in that one brief scene that comprises one sentence spoken by Root, it's clearly evident that Root WAS really good in it.

Root is prolific - he never stops working.

Thanks for the backstory on that, DB! It's surprising that he is still in the trailer. Perhaps that was intended as a kind nod from Kosminsky. White Oleander is an excellent example of a movie that I would be on the fence about, but would probably watch after seeing Root in the trailer -- but probably not now, of course.

Root's prolificacy is another thing that endears him to me.